Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My Section supports the Welcome To $COMPANY process. We get new hires on Monday. We walk them through signing in, changing the temp password that was (probably) texted to them, VPN use for remote people, setting up Chrome sync, and we give them some helpful links. We can do a small group in 20 minutes if nobody has any issues. It can take an hour and a half if people have account issues or fall behind and have to catch up after we finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Our current "remodel a whole floor to the new standard" standard has the lights powered by PoE. I think that makes sense versus running that many more actual power runs, but my hat's off to whoever thought of it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

The name I've seen branded around is Windows Next.

Apple might have something to say about that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

We had another goon do a masters there, I think it was Appl3 or something. Pretty sure he got it done in six months. I had some real unmotivated terms and basically wasted two terms doing nothing, life is life as it were

A couple of years ago my team hired a guy less than a year out of college (Comp Sci at UCSC). He'd gotten a job with the MSP we use for hardware lifecycle stuff from his uncle. Usually, people who can be described by something like that last sentence are useless drones, my guy tore their processes apart and put them back together the right way.

He "landed" an FTE position with my team in the same sense that you "landed" a swordfish that just jumped in the boat; he outscored our other applicants by a frankly scary margin. In 2022 I marked my main achievement for a quarter as giving him automation access on the system we use to manage 2200 lab machines.

After about a year out of college he decided he was bored and started an MBA program with an Informatics focus. If he goes for a people manager track, I will count myself lucky when I end up working for him before I retire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

On another topic entirely, Facebook appears to be having an outage.
<snip some bullshit>

I was IT Director for a design studio in2010-ish when MCI's big interchange point in the San Jose area died overnight.

"Yes, there's a big outage. Yes, we can't reach a lot of websites. No, I can't fix it. No, I'm not waiting on hold for 90 minutes to be told what I can read on their status page. No, my calling in to report the outage won't make them fix it faster, they started waking VPs up at 3am."

Waste
Of
My
Goddamn
Time

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'd love a telepresence robot that can go under a desk and do cabling work on a cranky PC.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Bite your tongue; I think my ability to do that is all that really keeps them from outsourcing me.

Okay, good point.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

At one job I managed to catch that the MFD was on a public IP and had a firewall rule allowing public access. Someone complained about having to connect to the VPN to print from offsite and I just laughed at him until he went away.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

We're a manufacturing site. We had to do a whole major project to deal with user profile proliferation on the shared PCs the clean room techs use to do their required trainings. I am deeply grateful that someone else had to write the GPOs for that mess.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Actually, no,. Just one of the many things people have screamed at me over the last two+ decades thinking it's the magic password to turn me from "Lazy IT Fuckup" to "Understanding The Greater Context Of The Problem And Actually Putting Effort Into It".

I once heard "but I'm a tenured professor!"

His clinic was offline because some idiot with a backhoe did the usual thing. Sorry buddy, that takes as long as it takes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Office for mac in the 2000s?

For most of its life, Office for Mac has been a really good product. The places where it falls down in comparison are places where Office for Windows has an important feature that depends on a Windows API that the Mac devs simply cannot access.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Renegret posted:

I swear communication is a dying art form.

Actually talking to people is the superpower we forget we have. Or are trying desperately not to have to use.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

"What are you trying to achieve?" is my go-to. I've actually trained my parents to tell me what they are trying to do when things stop working for them. It's honestly like cheating how much easier it makes things.

I've been pushing awareness of the XY Problem at work. Raising awareness of those are a goal for the year. Coincidentally, the non-lab support side of the team is getting trained up on Consultancy, so we should be able to solve a lot more real problems and do a lot less chasing rabbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Your lab works with rabbits? Neat!

We're setting up a trial with zebrafish! They're a 70-something percent match for human DNA, so they'll be great for early stage trials.