Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm still walking my father in law('s company) through Rackspace recovery, and most of my input has been "lol", "lmao", and "here's an ost to pst conversion tool, good luck!". It's honestly pretty funny.

Unrelatedly, I'm gonna need everyone in the thread who uses Teams to press Ctrl+shift+i before they send each message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arc Hammer posted:

Recently my outlook spam filter has seemingly poo poo the bed and when I go into the settings I can't seem to find a way to make the filter more intense. My only options are to add emails to the blocked senders and domain list, which is a hassle because I'm normally just going to delete any spam that gets into my inbox anyways. I just want to limit how much gets in but I have to add each domain manually? Not like the people sending spam don't have a thousand other domains to fall back on.

Are you a user or an exchange admin? If you're on exchange, there's no per user spam filter.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Entropic posted:

You know it's old because it's branded Northern Telecom. You know, the company that would later go on to change its name to Nortel. Who famously went out of business like 15 years ago.

Now if you want a real relic, you gotta find something branded Northern Electric.

I think I've got a bunch of Ameritech branded telecom stuff in a closet off a bathroom at the office.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Found this hidden in a bathroom in the warehouse. No longer in use, thankfully.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
When you say random crashing, I'm hearing bad ram.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

A Frosty Witch posted:

Second interview down :ohdear:

We're all pulling for you! Stay frosty.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Change request rejected. Reason: insufficient justification.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I never put the two together either!

Have a fun one today. Trying to get a product team to not use the same user/pass for a support account for all of our customers. It looks like, though of course my cheap company doesnt have the logs to prove this, that a rep entered in creds to a phishing site. So now I'm trying to explain to them that they need to not reuse the same creds and rotate ALL of them.

Oh hey, a similar thing happened to a company I worked for in 2019. Some senior sales rear end in a top hat with admin access to the C&C service got phished with no MFA. 30k machines got cryptolockered. It (the amount of money they paid me to help unfuck the situation) was pretty cool. Triple document your advice and get figgies to save them later, I guess.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

minusX posted:

TIL that PoE was first standardized in 2003. (Along with 2009 PoE+ and 2018 PoE++/4PPoE). That's a long while of magic with two things in one wire.

PoE has come a long way. I worked with some PoE gear (Motorola Canopy, cool stuff) in the early days, and it was wild. Switch had 8 ports, 4 powered and 4 not - the 4 powered were for the incredibly powerful outdoor antennas, and the other 4 were for the local network, a laptop to configure the things, devices that had power injection down the line, etc.
The ports were not auto sensing.
Had quite a few people standing on top of a mountain that were super mad at us because they plugged their laptop into a port without checking and released a tiny bit of magic smoke.

I'm much happier with modern PoE standards.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

wolrah posted:

The WISP folks really love passive PoE (the kind that fries poo poo) because they can just wire things straight to a battery and have it work, which I guess makes some sense, but I find it endlessly frustrating that multiple vendors still to this day are releasing new hardware that doesn't support modern standards at all and only does the passive garbage.

Nothing wrong with backwards compatibility for updating old installs and even supporting that style long-term for specific applications that want it, but when there have been appropriate standards with significant benefits for literally decades at this point there's no excuse to not support and use them by default.

Wait, people still build devices with passive PoE? My story was from like 2005, I figured everyone would have figured out just sending the bit that has the power. Wild.
Re: cowboy engineer based wireless products, in that same early 2000s time period we did support for a customer who built and sold WRT-54g style home routers with a 1W antenna. They meant it for use on ranches or other places where you might need an acre of wireless coverage or whatever. Based out of Utah. It was great until someone put one in like a city apartment and set it to channel 6, just blanked out everyone in the rest of the building. I heard they got in trouble with the FCC because the wattage control was a physical dial on the board in the case and went over 1000mw if you turned it, but I was never able to corroborate it.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We had a small division in Ireland that we closed down, and they shipped the laptops to us back here in the States. Not being one to waste things, I reissued them to some techs in various states. Out of the 700 or so laptops in my fleet, 5 of them still have users who get very confused when looking at the keyboard layout. Or they got used to it, I'm not sure.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arquinsiel posted:

Grats on getting the Objectively Best keyboard.

Why is your backslash to the left of Enter? Why?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Yeah the most common US layout is backslash above enter sharing with pipe, and the Irish keyboards had it first key to the left of Enter sharing with something else, I forget which. It was just odd to use.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Renegret posted:

God, gently caress, tell me about it.

I'm thankful that my manager is a colossal rear end in a top hat. I stay on his good side, and he's there for me to weaponize when I need it. All I need to do is not gently caress up.

He wields so much power at this point that he'll tell his own boss no and routinely gets away with it.

This is the kind of boss I'm trying to be, I'm just having trouble training my staff to use it. Well, minus the collosal rear end in a top hat part. I've been trying to tell them that, if they have trouble with anyone, bring that poo poo to me. I'm not paying them to fight those fights, I'm getting paid to fight them so they can do their jobs unimpeded. They've just had such lovely weak bosses in the past that they're slow to adopt. I'm just going to keep calling others out on their shittiness and backing my people until they get it, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

AlexDeGruven posted:

So what's a good formula for calculating side-gig hourly rates these days?

I've got a couple of places interested in some short term tasks in my primary specialty, so I'm planning on using my current hourly as the basis for the math.

It would be 1099, so I'll have to account for that.

Are we still on the 2x train, or do we go higher now?

3x whatever your hourly rate is (or would be) to do the work as a W2 employee. That's what consultant companies and MSPs are billing at, about, and you can get it as a freelancer.
Just don't forget about the tax implications of making a significant amount of 1099 money.