Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AntIchrist

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Renegret posted:

Sounds like it was for the better it went down this way honestly.

yeah sometimes it be that way

my last job laid me off (this was retributive actually for having been too close to someone my boss hated) but i hated my job so much and had been looking and they ended up paying out a bunch of severance including the accidentally doubled PTO that i'd pointed out to HR the instant it hit but they never removed from me so i just took it and left lol

it immediately made me so much happier and more relaxed that i aced the next interview i had and ended up getting a job that pays more, has better benefits, and i (although i bitch about some problems we have) actually kinda like all before i got more than one unemployment check lmao

and as far as circling the drain, it was bad enough that one of my tasks had been to redo all of the sales reporting to compare only to budget and not yoy so there wasn't such an obvious reminder of how they were consistently making less money every year

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 2, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah the only problem that really gets me is that we failed to upgrade something in time and it makes more work for me, but that happened because we spent too long trying to do it in a perfect way and turned out to be getting a runaround from the other company we were talking to so now it's overdue and we're doing it in an okay way with a company who is actually doing it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ChatGPT is just a weird disaster like you can get useful things but you need to babysit it and it's faster to just do it yourself

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Telling the young 'uns about the time when you could type stuff into Google and get useful answers

The assassination of search engines by the coward search engine optimization

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

We do need to implement stupid user questions on the blockchain. That way we can limit them to seven per second globally.

You can never delete your stupid question and everyone can see it forever

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Years ago the wife insisted on getting smart thermostats for the radiators. I asked if we could still set the temperature if internet went down.

She lied and said yes. :smith:

dis-goostin'

that said it might also have changed lol i ran into an issue helping someone with blink cameras not recording locally and it turns out that if you look around for this problem, at some point last year after an update people started having issues recording locally if they don't have a paid account even though they were supposedly allowed to keep doing that

gently caress smart devices throw them all into yucca mountain it's not being used for radioactive waste and the signage is all correct

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Claptain posted:

Just ran into a message sent by security to one of dev teams:

:stonk:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

continuing to work on the computer

i hate the computer

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

GreenNight posted:

What games don't work in Windows 11? The OS has worked great for everything I've thrown at it.

I mean unless he somehow installed the N variant or whatever that makes it a huge pain in the rear end to get any DirectX older than 12 on there which will break some games

I made this mistake because I thought it would just not install windows media player and other junk I don't want :negative:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If it's running up against tjmax then it's probably stable but at the cost of throttling itself to keep it that way so it's losing performance. Which judging from all the gamer's nexus prebuilt reviews is a frustratingly common issue with prebuilts at all price levels

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

we love then the fiber gets cut, don't we folks

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

we love then the fiber gets cut, don't we folks

update: we are now 3 providers in on finding out who the hell owns this to fix it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't remember the details on this setup or why the customer's router was in bridge mode, I think a contractor we don't use anymore for assorted clownery like this was to blame, but anyway once upon a time a managed printer guy setting something up for a customer managed to statically assign a public IP to a printer that belonged to a different customer and take them offline :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

"not requiring the need for"

What the gently caress

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

update: that was them asking for the thing

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

No it was just a white guy who was over-writing his email in an attempt to sound smart

I knew what he wanted but his company did some bad work for ours back when they were contracting that annoys me at least once a week so I made him say it in a sane way

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

i have ascended to a level beyond "per my last email"

the dreaded "per your last email"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A while ago I got a random attempt to get me to do some sort of inventory / sales analysis poo poo in the convenience store sector because I have never updated my linkedin since then and I was like thank you but no thank you I don't work in that sector anymore

left unsaid was that I would rather die than work in that sector again

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

that wonderful feeling when your backup works perfectly and you get to watch a dumpster fire instead of being in the dumpster yourself :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The dumpster fire I'm watching had accelerant thrown on it but it's finally finishing lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lumen, they've had a comically horrible (about to be 54 hours down) time fixing a fiber cut that's relevant to me

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

quote:

Why don't we have wifi when computer is off?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

.... :stare: how did they check?

I checked logs and their stuff goes down for a few hours at a time daily but I thought they were just a weirdo turning it off when they don't need it because wifi. Someone should go there today and i might actually find out

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

When the laptop is set up to share its internet connection over WiFi you all are going to have egg on your face. :stonklol:

It actually turned out to be that they have the modem/router in an energy saving power strip with the computer in the primary outlet

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A Frosty Witch posted:

:yotj:

My unemployment dried up a month ago so looks like Target has a new junior member to stock shelves.

Thus ends the saga of larchesdanrew.

It's been wild y'all :unsmith:

Also this was last page but it's not the end there are still ways to go, just keep trying!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

WEBPAGES LOADING SLOWLY

problem is actually ads are failing to load

install adblocker, problem solved

It blows my mind every time i run across someone who doesn't have something blocking ads already

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would Dell put an Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth module, the most fragile pieces of poo poo known to man, as a soldered-on part in their enterprise laptop range?

gently caress you that's why

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Renegret posted:

I'm generalizing of course but it's the opposite. I work for an ISP so if, for example, I have a single customer complaining of a routing issue because they can't get to Google, I can promise you there's no routing problem. Just because your trace ends in our core network doesn't mean the core network is down you're gonna have to trust me on that. Same goes with DHCP for example, it's either working flawlessly or we're in a crisis.

What I'm trying to say is our events tend to be "hundreds of customer calls" or "not service impacting" and there's very little middle ground. Even weird nebulous issues tend to have rippling effects to other services.

In practice about 10% of my job is being the rubber duckie for other teams to talk through their problems with because they're out of ideas on why their poo poo's not working and "eh it must be the network" is always the fallback option.

I'm smaller than you but yeah there's so many people who are sure their tiny problem is a MAJOR COMPANY WIDE PROBLEM lol

nah bro that's all on you

Speaking of DHCP I love how sometimes Netgear routers just decline to perform it once in a while for no clear reason

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

internet not working!!

problem: for some reason your teenage son has rewired this to be modem > switch > router > back to switch from a lan port on the router and decided it was fine because "the light is green"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"do you know who I am?"

"No, Ma'am you're not in our system. Who are you again?"

:hmmyes:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

Wait, people still build devices with passive PoE? My story was from like 2005, I figured everyone would have figured out just sending the bit that has the power. Wild.
Re: cowboy engineer based wireless products, in that same early 2000s time period we did support for a customer who built and sold WRT-54g style home routers with a 1W antenna. They meant it for use on ranches or other places where you might need an acre of wireless coverage or whatever. Based out of Utah. It was great until someone put one in like a city apartment and set it to channel 6, just blanked out everyone in the rest of the building. I heard they got in trouble with the FCC because the wattage control was a physical dial on the board in the case and went over 1000mw if you turned it, but I was never able to corroborate it.

Something like this is still around for the same purpose, a purely 2.4ghz mesh, I remember having had to track info on it down to be sure it wasn't an interference source on 5ghz because the website wasn't giving any information on what band or bands it was able to use. Their support answered my email in a perfectly clear way though, so good on them I guess???

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Problem: routers are boot looping

Cause: installers all on the same day for the first time managed to mix up the power adapters for the ONUs and the routers and they're different amperages

Solution: don't mix up the goddamn power adapters

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Like there are places with really rigid pay bands for positions, but they told you a band right there and then tried to say it can't go that high. That's hosed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

today someone used the word "streaming" where they meant "buffering" and i've been deeply mad at it all day

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Entropic posted:

Monitor plugged into the master outlet and VOIP phone plugged into one of the slave outlets. Monitor turns off from power-save mode 30 seconds after PC is locked.

Lol I had this come up with the same cause but it was "why does the wifi turn off when I turn off my computer

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

apparently someone was looking to get big 10 network on their Roku but they couldn't find it because, apparently, it is ONLY searchable under "B1G+" matching the uhhh cute logo someone came up with where the 1G also kind of makes the 10?

roku unfuck your search big 10 pull your head out of your rear end (challenge level impossible)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Renegret posted:

But what about The Collaboration????????????

I can collaborate via email! And slack!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

someone got autocorrected and now the first ticket i see when i start the day is "monitoring devices connected to my wife" and i cannot stop laughing at it