Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Since we're replacing it anyway, instead of a regular thread let's get hyperthreading, that's a lot more modern and should be much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Please restore the old thread, my custom scripts that I don't actually understand which were written 9 years ago by someone who left 8 years ago and upon which I came to depend UTTERLY 8.75 years ago are all hard coded to point at the old thread, THIS IS AFFECTING SALES

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Raerlynn posted:

I have told my juniors: "If you were following a doc written by the company in good faith or you were following instructions from a senior engineer in good faith, and you blew something up, then it's a teaching moment, and you're fine.

If you run something off the Internet without vetting it with a senior engineer, you are taking your career in your own hands."

Counterpoint: one of the prouder moments of my career. Approximately ten years ago, when I was a lowly level one admin, one night the office's Asterisk phone system had gone down and nobody knew why. All the SREs and seniors were asleep, so I did some googling, and freely tried a bunch of poo poo, and somehow I brought the drat thing back to life. I announced success by posting this video in the company chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDgNORm2uU

(I have a strong suspicion this this what got me promoted to a slightly-less-lowly level two admin.)