Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hey which vpn is required for the old thread? The new one, the old one, the one used by the company we bought 10 years ago, or the random OpenVPN set up for one server in someone's office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You mean the thing where you check the box to also post your message in the main channel?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We would get contact forms saying they can't receive email, and then only provide the not working email address as their contact method. Usually it was because their mailbox was full. We could increase their mailbox size a bit to try to get a message in there, but usually there was a queue of stuff waiting that would immediately fill it up. Eventually we got a new web client that would give quota warnings, and they changed students to Gmail as I was leaving.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

i am a moron posted:

God drat it quit joking what is happening how did a company buy a person :cry:

When two companies love eachother very much, they can do a merger. The employees of the bought company can use this as an opportunity to negotiate. They can come along for the ride, bail out, or demand a raise and/or retention bonus.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Oh, that's gross. I decided against adding a joke about consent and hostile takeovers but I guess consent is more relevant than I realized.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If they didn't have that voicemail server how would they hear about their car warranty expiration.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
When they give you a tour that's usually a good sign. Good luck!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
https://youtu.be/kOR448RUThc

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Geemer posted:

Yet I've completely given up on that automatic label thing gmail is supposed to have with the email+label@gmail.com thing because all the stupid sites I'd want to use it for claim it's an invalid email address.

I started using my own domain so shitcompany@myname.lol forwards to my Gmail. As long as the tld validates, it does the job.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Unlimited earnings potential.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

Update: the big monitor and the trackball have not been found. The side monitors were "reallocated" by management who thought it unfair the new guy got fancy gear while they didn't, and basically were powertripping, and the keyboard was found in the urinal in the nearest men's room.

My management is taking a very haha-boys-will-be-boys attitude, which possibly pisses me off more.

The keyboard has seen enough piss. That's some willful destruction right there.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Did said drugs lead you to piss on your keyboard?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Same, but submitted at 5 am my time. Wasn't even the user who submitted the request following up, but some helpdesk person asking when I'd approve it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've somehow missed the dst transition a couple times in a row by being on a trip to someplace that didn't do it. So I just had normal jet lag, and honestly the dst transition is just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

I'm always offended when someone looks at me and is like "yo you look like you work in IT".

Da gently caress.

I was walking into a hospital one time to visit my Mom. I still had my badge on from work, at a place totally unrelated. Someone near the entrance said "Oh, are you from IT here to fix the computer?" I say "Nope" and keep walking. They start following me and start explaining the problem. We got pretty far before I turned around to say "No, I seriously don't work here." I can't imagine what miserable fucks work in the IT department there.

I hate the people who have "fun" that way with strangers. If we know each other I'll allow a "You guys workin hard or hardly workin?"