Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Got a ticket from a supervisor saying their new hire can't login to Windows. I go up to see them (the new hire) to find out what the issue is, and they're saying their password doesn't work.

New users are given their credentials via a post-it that is left inside the laptop (the laptop is closed and connected to a dock). I look around their desk for the post-it so that I can try the password myself, and I can't find it. I ask them where they put it - "Oh, that was my password? I didn't know what it was so I threw it away"

:wtc:

What the hell did you think it was, Glenda? What else could a piece of paper with "GlendaG" and a short string of words and numbers written on it possibly be? I grabbed it out of the recycling bin at their desk and had them login successfully. I didn't have the courage to ask them what the hell they were even trying to use as their password. I suppose they were just... guessing? God only knows. Maybe I need to start labeling the post-it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

TIL I'm being a little unreasonable. I didn't realize that kind of formal handout was standard. This is the first time I've seen a user do this and we've been doing the post-its for years before I even started here (and this is my first IT job) so I just assumed it was normal. I'll approach my boss about changing it up

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of "process improvement".

Maybe, but I think this user may also just be a special kind of stupid. She sent us a ticket yesterday after she was able to login asking for help with her email signature. HR handles that, that so I referred her to the relevant HR person. We just now got a ticket from said HR person, forwarding us the email that Glenda sent them, concerned that it was phishing because they didn't know who Glenda was and the email is written like this:

"Please I need help.

Telephone
Text sounds
Email signature
Last Name

Thank You. Glenda"

Edit: and to be clear, I told her to reach out to HR specifically for help with email signatures. I have no idea why she included the other stuff

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

What, people in your office stole all the stuff? I'm not sure I understand what happened

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Update: the big monitor and the trackball have not been found. The side monitors were "reallocated" by management who thought it unfair the new guy got fancy gear while they didn't, and basically were powertripping, and the keyboard was found in the urinal in the nearest men's room.

My management is taking a very haha-boys-will-be-boys attitude, which possibly pisses me off more.

What in the name of god lmao

Do you guys employ high school boys? This is so beyond the pale I don't even know where to begin

Does management just... not care at all about theft? That $1000+ of equipment is ruined or gone? It's totally insane

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Just got an 8:43 AM Monday morning ticket from a user "following up" on a request they made at 5:33 PM Friday evening. It hasn't even been a single business minute yet, Janet. Relax

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Weedle posted:

a ticket came in

:barf:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Got a ticket from a guy saying he's been getting a lot of spam emails lately and wants to know what we can do about it. Turns out "a lot" is sixty thousand MAILER-DAEMON bounceback emails a day for over a month. He has almost a million unread messages in his inbox. My dude had a broken inbox rule set to forward emails to his cellphone.

Who waits a loving month to bring this up with someone??

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

No, he just created a rule to try to forward all his emails to his cell number. Which of course didn't work. And then the first bounceback notification also got forwarded, which created a new bounceback message, etc

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

A vet hospital I worked at before getting into IT had the same workflow for entering medical records into patient's charts. Thankfully they were actually receptive to the idea of just... attaching the PDF to a note on the chart. But good god when I saw them doing it for the first time I thought I was in the Twilight Zone

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Wait is it supposed to be awn-try?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Last I checked it doesn't even support Exchange accounts. Like cmon lol

v :catstare:

johnny park fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 19, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Absolutely not. I have not ever and will not ever delete emails. I have more important things to do than janitor my inbox.

Yeah but then I'm the one that has to deal with your 400 GB mailbox backup when you leave the company

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Just put what I hope is the cap on one of the dumbest series of requests I've ever had to deal with.

A little background information: there currently exists in our system an email distribution list that I'll call D1, whose only members are this guy in our real estate department and his two assistants.

Last week he asked me to create a new email distribution list and a new shared mailbox. This new distribution list I'll call D2. He asked me to:

1. Give him and his two assistants access to the shared mailbox
2. Remove him and assistants from D1
3. Add the shared mailbox as the sole member of D1 and D2

So, emails to D1 or D2 both just go to the same shared mailbox. Seems kind of redundant, but whatever. Distribution lists are free.

Then a few days later, he asked me to add him and his assistants to D2 as well. So now an email sent to D2 would go to the three of them, and then also go to D1, which then sends the same email to the shared mailbox that they have access to. This is apparently for 'tracking purposes'.

Then, yesterday, he wanted the three of them added BACK to D1. So now an email sent to D2 would go to their inboxes twice and to the shared mailbox once. Again, for 'tracking'.

And now today, he wanted the shared mailbox itself to act as a distribution list, with the three of them as members, while maintaining its function as a shared mailbox. The only way to do this is to set an auto-forwarding rule on the shared mailbox to forward to a new, separate distribution list (D3) with the three of them as members. So an email sent to D2 would go to their inboxes THREE TIMES. I explained this to him and he agreed it was stupid, and had me remove him and his assistants from D1 and D2. So now, an email sent to D1 or D2 goes to the shared mailbox, which then gets auto-forwarded to D3, which then gets sent to this guy and his team.

:psyduck:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I generally don't have much to do, so I didn't mind entertaining these requests since they each took less than five minutes. If I had other tasks, this would've been super low priority. Though today, on advice from a friend, I did tell him that he needs to come to me with a more complete picture of what he's trying to do with any future changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Just closed a 3 week old ticket that had me and my boss totally stumped. User was experiencing severe latency issues using RemoteApp to connect to a vendor database on their WFH laptop. Had them bring the laptop into the office and test there and it worked, so the laptop wasn't the issue. Tracert at first glance seemed to indicate a bad hop along the way to the database server, but it turned out tracert went through that "bad" hop no matter what you pointed it at. Had them connect via ethernet instead of using WiFi - no improvement.

The cause turned out to be the user's loving mouse, because apparently, RemoteApp cannot handle gaming mice with high polling rates (?!), and if you drop the polling rate on your mouse from 1000 to like 125, the issue vanishes. Thank you, random Microsoft support forum guy from 2021, because we were about to send the user home with a loaner laptop to test, and they would've hooked it up to their dock and mouse, found they had the same issue, and we would have written it off as an unfixable problem with her home internet