Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sywert of Thieves posted:

We're in Europe, but wife works at a huge intl corporation and the Americans are already telling her "happy holidays" since December 7th. They're truly ahead of the curve on doing gently caress all in December.

Its the -worst-. Jingle bells music starts in stores in November now.

Not actually a joke post these days

(I blame this more on advent calendar overflow than anything else. Gotta train those expectations to start RIGHT ON DECEMBER FIRST!! and be hallmark-y for a month cuz of it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah, I see that with the new thread name, a mod has given in and done the pee-dful!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Comedy waits for no man or woman - or romulan, it seems.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

And that is when NewGuy's grandboss (a VP) walks in and wants to know where the laptop is, and by the way, why are there only two monitors (37" curved, obtained at great expense and at the last minute) on the desk, why does he have a wired keyboard, and why does he have a wired trackball? Weren't the requirements clear? Do we perhaps have reading comprehension issues?

Please tell me this ends in bus-chucking.

Also, are you sure you don't live in a comedy skit? Have you checked under the urinal for the script?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's been a good five years since Google started internally rewriting keywords to match what it thinks you're searching for (I suspect they do this to boost ad hit rates, as it's the thing Alphabet make their money on), and in the last few years, they've decided that what the world really wants is to use natural language searches, similar to how you'd ask one of those digital assistants found in smartphones.

Thankfully, verbatim search (found in Tools > All Results) can still be forced, but it's a per-search thing, so like others I end up using quotation marks, or more recently, another search engine as default.

I'll add to this. Chrome history has become really lovely because of this. I was reading a webstory, and sometimes fish the last chapter out of history to hit next, instead of going to the main page.

As a consequence, searching for 'developer' gets you results, but 'developer e' does not. It just doesn't seem to do partials any more, and/or sometimes its fucky with urls too.

Not super happy about it :(

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I still use a firefox too, (a fork, but still) and its searches work properly and actually go looking through the database based on what the user actually put in - not what it thinks it means.

This means it supports partials and typos.

To go off my above example, if i typo 'evelopers' into firefox history to pull out an old post, video, whatever, it shows results for 'developers' because it actually looks for partials.

if I make the same search in chrome it shows nothing. Same thing with the omnibar.
Even if I have opens tabs with the right name, without the errant D missing, its useful. It doesn't look for partials, actually carry out the search - and i'm sure its based on idiot or typo proofing the software, but still: It would be nice if its internals worked like firefox, and wasn't just takin a poo poo over basic stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

some people read "computers are magic" and take it way too literally

The sorcery is in the clouds!!