Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Yes, sounds like your standard XY problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I pasted the Fast inverse square root code (without the "//"), and it gave me a pretty good reply.

I would be scratching my head for quite a few minutes if I came across this in our codebase without a ton of comments.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Even simpler, ask it what weighs more of one pound of feathers and two pounds of lead.

I'm not here to defend OpenAI, but ChatGPT answers this correctly. (Bard failed)

I also tried a (sanitized version of a) reasonably complex SQL query with a Common Table Expression, CROSS APPLYs and ROW_NUMBER() over (PARTITION BY .. ORDER BY CASE ... END ), and got a good explanation about what each part of the query does and the likely purpose.

I'm not saying you should blindly copy / paste all your company code and trust whatever a LLM spits out, but it can certainly be a tool. I would not dismiss it out of hand.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Claymodem

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

The existence of Teams (work or school) reminds me of the time they had a genuine go at trying to position Teams as something that families would use to manage their schedules with and keep in touch with each other. Imagine the Teams ringtone playing out and it's your partner wanting to discuss buying plants, the shame of it all.

This would be the next step up from that:

https://twitter.com/sadarlo1/status/1780253598644941208

Only registered members can see post attachments!