Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Could we maybe import the old posts into this new thread or something? Some of us still read posts in the old thread and I think this would make it easier to find them all in one place.

e: Or maybe a PST file? Can an admin export the old thread into a PST so I can add it to my Outlook profile? Also, could you remote in and show me how to add a PST?

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

A Frosty Witch posted:

"Your name sounds familiar, have we worked with you before?"

Admittedly completely out of my element, but why even give them the time of day? They don't know you, and they don't need to know you.

"Have we worked with you before?"
Nope! Sure haven't. I'm in a completely different state and have no idea who you are.

Even if you've met them in person and they think you look familiar? No, person I don't want to associate with, you're mistaken, we are complete strangers.

Of course thinking of it in the moment is a lot harder than mentally re-treading that conversation in the shower the next day.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Arquinsiel posted:

Best to weed out the people you don't want to work with ahead of time.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

loving sucks that anyone has to think that way, though. It's nice being able to build relationships.

This is truth. Self-censorship to appease poo poo heads probably isn't a good policy.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

SyNack Sassimov posted:

We got a sharp one here folks:

lol, well at least they asked instead of brushing it off and then getting upset later claiming they were never notified.

Someone in our group chat asked if a print queue would need to be re-created if the printer was factory default reset and setup again. Question was already answered, but my idiot brain got this idea, so I decided to share it here too since it didn't get much of a reaction at work for some reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

A group at work upgraded to a new version of Solidworks. The majority of the work was migrating/updating the vault and database servers for all of their project data files. I'm just the janitor tasked with updating the client machines.

They're working with a tech support company that specializes in Solidworks and similar products to walk us through the upgrade, and everything went pretty drat smooth. After all the server stuff was done I upgraded the first client with help from tech support, and all was well. Upgraded the rest of the clients and called it a day.

The next morning none of the Solidworks users can access the vault. Great. I take a look, but everything looks fine on the workstations. Settings look right, but they're all getting the same error message:

quote:

The SQL-server user account associated with the vault has insufficient privileges.
The administrator can solve this by running the following command in the SQL Server Query Analyzer:

GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO <user name>
Now, I know gently caress-all about SQL, but rarely do I see such explicit error messages. Especially ones that include the exact command to resolve it. I send a screenshot to the manager and ask if he can have one of the DBAs take a look since it might be a quick/easy fix. He'd rather wait and get everyone back on a Teams call with the tech support rep before doing anything, just to be safe. Seems reasonable I guess, but the support rep is booked until the next week, so all the Solidworks users are just stuck using local files for awhile.

Fast-forward to yesterday morning, join the Teams call, and watch/listen to the support rep work through narrowing down the issue. They get to a point where the error appears, and there's a silent pause as we all read it.

The DBA chimes in first, "give me a sec and I'll run that grant for you."

"Okay, try it again."

Bingo. Vault access restored for everyone. Call was scheduled for an hour and it was over in less than 15 minutes.

Not exactly a horror story since nothing bad happened, but I had a good laugh over the pomp and circumstance of such a trivial resolution.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Girlfriend emailed her doctor's office some paperwork for an upcoming appointment. She got a reply asking her to fax it instead because it was "getting cut off" when trying to print it from the email.

I recommended she find a new doctor.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Speech-to-text struggling with the thick Indian accent.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

I drive east in the morning and west in the evening on my daily commute. DST sucks rear end because right when the sun is finally high/low enough above/below the horizon to not be directly in my eyes, we change the clocks so I have to deal with it for another month. Stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Fil5000 posted:

But all my stuff is there!

Ugh, goddammit!

Our org switched from on-prem to cloud storage for email like 5 years ago, and there are still PST files out there in the wild causing dumbfuck problems because nobody knows how to import them back to their mailbox. Hell, most people don't even know the difference.

See, the on-prem mailboxes only had 100MB of storage, so PSTs were pretty much mandatory. The cloud mailboxes have 100GB.

The switch to the cloud also coincided with the introduction of OneDrive, so now all of these PST files got uploaded to OneDrive while still being connected to their Outlook profile.

I'm so loving sick of "OneDrive sync issue with PST file" tickets.

e: also my pedantic brain gets annoyed at seeing "synch" instead of "sync", but that's probably just a me problem.

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2024