Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

kensei posted:

Old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845247

Still quite possibly one of the funniest stories I have seen on this forum:

May your 2023 be a :yotj: for you.

Hoping 2023 is a big ol' :yotj: for me and my girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Frosty Witch posted:

I've got a new client back home in the deep ol' south.

I'm trying to get a low voltage vendor out there to certify the lines as part of my pre-onboarding investigation and, of course, I have to reach out to vendors I used to work with at my last job before I moved, and, more importantly, before I transitioned. These are incredibly small businesses who remember every customer they've ever had, so of course they remember me. Sort of.

"Your name sounds familiar, have we worked with you before?"

Uh... yeah. You could say that. I used to work at [school], but I had a different name back then.

Then they connect the dots and, oh gosh, look at that, we don't have an opening to schedule anything after all, toodles.

Babe.

Lie.

Or, technically, tell the truth: They didn't ever really meet you.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Cool Dad posted:

Him: Based on your experience I don't think 20 is realistic.

"giving you $20 an hour would reduce my cut of the $100/hour rate we're paid"

wargames posted:

with how many bridges robert half has burned i am surprised they are still in operation.

peeps desperate for their ticket out of a public-facing call center or the endless purgatory of no job because no experience GOTO 10 are a continually self-renewing market

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrdKtPJxI0

Meanwhile, I am doing Security Awareness training where ~~insider threats~~ are nerds in black hoodies with red shades.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Frosty Witch posted:

:yotj:

My unemployment dried up a month ago so looks like Target has a new junior member to stock shelves.

Thus ends the saga of larchesdanrew.

It's been wild y'all :unsmith:

And thus begins the triumphant tale of A Frosty Witch!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Frosty Witch posted:

Just got a call that a potential job wants to fly me out to Portland for a second interview.

That's probably a good sign, right? :ohdear:

That's a very good sign, yes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nexxai posted:

I mean, yes, that's technically true, but it has helped me (and I assume your co-worker, too) actually solve real problems, so it must be able to recognize the patterns of code we're throwing at it to get useful solutions to them. It would one thing if it's responses were non-sensical and didn't actually help, but I can say with certainty that at least in my cases, it has been able to produce meaningful responses to my questions about what a function is doing, to the point that I've been able to then move on to my original task and succeed where I would have otherwise continued to bang my head against my desk.

If you don't want to use it for that purpose, that's your prerogative, but to think your senior co-worker is doing something actively wrong by finding a way to make use of a tool at his fingertips seems like reverse-boomer-level nonsense. :)

I, too, trust black-box autocorrect to explain code to me.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

AlexDeGruven posted:

The school can't install an ad blocker on the provided chromebooks because there's something in the district policy that prevents it. I don't know what idiocy that may be, but it's annoying AF and really makes them less useful.

It is probably a group policy that disables all installation of extensions.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I would much rather hear about Frosty Witch's interview than keep talking about stochastic parrots.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

gently caress yeah!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Narrator: They did.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

A ticket came in...

"Whenever I lock my PC, my phone stops working, so when I leave my desk it doesn't ring, it just goes straight to voicemail"

Can you guess the cause?

Softphone that sets status to away when the computer is locked (b/c the user is away)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

Nope, it's a separate physical desk phone. Clue: It's a VOIP phone but their network does not have POE.

Is...locking the computer also turning off power to it?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I keep coming back to putting a keyboard in the toilets, what sort of dickhead behaviour is that

the same kind that gets mad when they don't have the absolute newest shiny toy

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I mean .....it SHOULD be.

(as in we should move to permanent DST)

(if you live in the north I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but darkness ain't one)

DST is stupid.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

How do you say "You have the diabetes" in Irish?

"tá diaibéiteas ort"

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

some day i want to take a big mfp to a bomb range, fill its guts with an entire brick of legally acquired C4, and then blow it to smithereens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

some people read "computers are magic" and take it way too literally