Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A cert for a website expired 2 days ago. I notified someone on the project that it had yesterday just in passing, as I was in Digicert for something else.
Today I finally get a csr from the webhost, I quickly get it signed and send the person who contacted me the cert. No response.

Boss calls "What is this cert problem?" I explain that its a outside company, and I have sent the cert along. I wants it sent to another person as well. Sure thing, send to them.

20 minutes goes by: IT Director calls "What is the deal with this cert thing." I explain. Well who gets notified about these, I see 8 people (including him) are on the list.
"Well who is responsible for the cert?" I say the person who requested it, its their product, they should track that. But they don't get the alerts. Which ok, we can add them for this. But this is a hosted site by a vendor who is supposed to "handle everything." But apparently can't set a reminder in Outlook.

If it seems like I'm trying to dodge responsibility on this, you are right. Because I know they will find a way to tack this onto my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Certs are a feature on my evaluation of new products/services, alongside SSO. If there's an unreasonable SSO tax or it's not supported, and cert renewal can't be scripted (also give me a really good reason why Let's Encrypt cannot be used) then I'm not interested. The Acme plugin for pfSense can authenticate against Azure as an enterprise app and create the DNS records needed to validate the cert before sending the renewal request and clearing up after itself, every three months. Why can't your commercial UTM box?

Sadly, most of the ones that seem to come up are for various appliances, or for whatever the gently caress the Avaya voice servers are doing.
I don't deal with enough actual servers or webhost to have any way of automating these.
The biggest issue we have with a lot of these is that these are internal servers that I'm purchasing certs for. We have a CA I can supposedly use, but its pretty old and doesn't seem to actually support current features in certs. There is a newer one, but for some reason the group responsible for it hasn't done a good job of pushing out the root certs for it.
Or maybe they have and just haven't told anyone.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

Our customer service is legendarily terrible so I'm actually inclined to believe that the customer wants something simple but the rep he spoke is dumber than a sack of bricks.

And regardless, the ticket should never get all the way to level 3 without a clearly defined request, something that makes more sense than "customer wants to set a static IP of *public IP* on LAN port"

I think our service desk people have moved from a level of smooth brained to actual frictionless spheres in their skull.
I know its a entry level position, and I'm not expecting some massively detailed write up of a problem. But what I would like is: Who has the problem? Where is this person physically at? What is their contact number? What is their problem?

If the problem is one of the handful of first call resolution stuff and it didn't fix it: Did you do all the steps? No really, all of them. What was the error?

But today had two winners: One was a ticket from an IT person with the text:
Hi, please send this to <Firewall Team>, it is about <this product only they manage> and I have been working with this <person>.
Ticket's first step on its journey was to an entirely different person. He responded to the ticket and sent it back "Wrong person". It then hung out for a bit, then go assigned to the network group. I sent it to the right person after feeling my soul die a little.

2nd: We have Cisco Room Kit devices, which are video conference units. They have a major flaw in that their input touchpad is wired to the camera unit. You can send this through a switch, or plug it directly in. They are pretty easy to use, as long as one simple rule is followed. Don't unplug anything from them. Especially don't unplug the tablet. This person calls in, the SD person has them wander around trying random ports, get nowhere. Then walks the person through factory defaulting the tablet. Then has them put in a incorrect IP on it, so even when directly connected, it can't talk. I'll have to have a user reset it again.
This one is making me lose my temper a bit.

They had someone factory default a printer once. Which unsurprisingly, didn't make it work better.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

I don't know poo poo about phones but this is terrifying

A coworker is a old school phone guy, started back in the late 70s and has a story about a guy welding a screwdriver to a phone system when he accidentally dropped it in the box. Lot of juice in those systems to provide the ring.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

Lumen, they've had a comically horrible (about to be 54 hours down) time fixing a fiber cut that's relevant to me

We have a Lumen circuit that has spent about 30% of the time the last two months being down. It feels like there is a excavator assigned to this particular fiber. I get so many alerts about it, I had to adjust my DND window on my phone because it kept waking me up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I hate that I'm losing my cool on responding to people on tickets, but the thing we are getting are just wearing me down. We have a bunch of HP G5 docks for laptops, and they are plagued with problems. Biggest issue is at times, they just stop connecting to the network. DHCP fails and they can't get an address. If you disconnect the network cable and reboot them, they generally work. Or install the latest firmware which seems to fix it. It doesn't seem like they can install the firmware however, since a lot of laptops are locked down to the point they can't run the installer.
So, the incident team decided that this is a network problem, and dumps a bunch of tickets in our queue. We send them back, they wait a while, collect a bunch more tickets in a group, and redrop them in.
One of the people latched onto an old issue, where someone disconnected cables from a video conference unit, and randomly plugged them back into the network. On a Cisco room kit, there is a port used to connect to the touch pad. This port also has a dhcp server on it, so the touchpad can easily get an address. But, if you plug that port into a random network port, guess what. However, none of the sites with dock issues have a system doing that, but they won't let go.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

In my experience this is just always how it is in networking. It doesn't matter how well you've documented the issue, it doesn't matter how many times you've explained the problem or literally given the responsible team the correct solution, they will always blame the network. It's considered unprofessional to ream them out, no matter how well-earned, so the cycle continues.

Yea, I'm used to being blamed for everything, but at least on most things you can point at what the solution was and go "SEE". But this one keeps coming back, and they will hide the actual problem in a ticket by only referencing other tickets, like that episode of TNG. DHCP, when walls fell.

We send it back, and then a variation of that ticket returns, now referencing other unrelated things. No, a power outage at a location isn't related to his. Why yes, they couldn't get an address, but that is because they are sitting in a dark office.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
If a location ever has an issue with wireless, they send someone onsite on a journey to find and reboot the wireless router. So far in every ticket they have mentioned this, it has proven unsuccessful. The primary reason is that at no locations is there a wireless router to reboot. All the APs are managed either in the cloud or on a central controller.
This has led to people going on a fun journey of rebooting things that they think are a wireless router. Or look like one. This did lead to a person going into a shared telco closet at a building and rebooting some equipment that belonged to another company sharing space. Thankfully, that place wasn't open that day and didn't find out.
Thankfully that happened while I was on the road with another project.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Its "Tap the DNS sign" today.
Something changed, and dns searches are taking longer then they should, eventually time out. But not always.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Our DNS was wonky today. Turns out that CySec decided to block some gTLDs today and that makes DNS unreliable. Who woulda thunk it?

Ours is still kinda busted, seems like the primary cluster in Infoblox just kinda stopped. Also someone removed an Azure server that thing were using and didn't tell anyone?

We discovered at the end of this that our DNS setup shouldn't have been working at all, and has only been limping along due to blind luck for over a year. When we had talked to Infoblox and moved to their platform, the engineer we worked with, and the support person both left the company before we finished. Turns out they missed a few things.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 8, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
For some reason, a camera in this Cisco array is drooping, it still tracks, but isn’t level. So it looks like Marty Feldman.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

To be fair, folks don’t get Halloween off here in the states either.

Halloween is the only buffer to keeps Christmas stuff from hitting the shelves in August.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

lol a dot local

I remember something in like 2011? Or so with Microsoft going "hey, stop using .local and just use .com or net" and our AD team going "that sounds silly, then we'd have to manage slightly more DNS entries."

Anyway, its 2024 and guess what is still around.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

"Hello we wanted the cheapest solution possible so we bought a webcam and it's not picking up the sound very well in a meeting room that seats eight people, what can we do?"

Stop being tight, buy the right stuff would be my suggestion.

We have all these super expensive Cisco systems at work, I try to order systems based on the room, and get extra mics if necessary. Still had someone move a system from a small 10x10 room and into this giant conference space. Then they sat on the far end of the table. Yeah no poo poo the camera can’t see or hear you, people with you in the room can barely hear you.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
We have a building that went for a bunch of LEEDs certifications, so every office has the top outlets controlled by a light switch. First day of people in, people were constantly shutting off their laptops/monitors. Pretty sure we lost a printer to that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

sfwarlock posted:

This one they found is fancy. Apparently, from what I've overheard, computer-assisted steering (indicate where you want to go and it pathfinds), binocular vision to support a VR headset at the user end, and an arm with a finger suitable for pressing elevator buttons and pointing at things with the builtin laser pointer.

Mount a nerf gun to a few of them and set them loose in the cube farms.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Weedle posted:

a ticket came in

Ear cheese.

We had a user a long time ago call about being unable to hear very well from their phone. Our voice guy didn't see issues with it, so he drove a phone over. One look at the phone he saw the issue, there was a coating of makeup on the handset so thick it was clogging the speaker.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Big meetings offsite this week, so we had a talk the week before going over what we will need to bring, and what to expect.
This time last week, first meeting was local presentation only. Day later, ok we might need someone to be on webex, but probably not. Next day, they will be on webex, but only need audio. Today, we need video of them talking over slides, in fact they need to control the slides. 20m before call, actually, we just need audio, the local exec admin can control slides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Spent the last few hours working with someone to get this cash advance/point of sale machine working. Last one just up and died, so the company sent a new one out, from a much newer series.
We've been trying a few ports, different switch port and nothing from it. I can see the port light up, but no mac address. User mentions that the machine looked different, and sends me a picture of it. The device ONLY has a setting for wireless. It ships with a usb dongle for wired, but nothing.