Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

chin up everything sucks posted:

I think we should continue to wait patiently for lowtax to address the concerns in A Frosty Witches email.

Did Frosty Witch remember to enable read receipt for this email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Entropic posted:

A lot of critical stuff still uses copper lines, or has them as a fallback, precisely because they’re so reliable. Copper trunks going down is so much rarer than internet service or PRI or SIP circuits going down and with a good UPS you can keep some plain digital (not IP) phones going pretty easily through a power outage.

I’ve worked on stuff like a mental health support line call centre system, and yeah, they’re not about to trust a SIP trunk (especially from our local provider…), they’ve got a dozen copper POTS trunks in a hunt group. And they have contingency plans in place to reroute calls to a different physical location.

You’ll occasionally get a copper trunk fail or degrade but that usually happens slowly a pair at a time.
I’ve been doing telephony stuff in my current job for >6 years and I’ve seen SIP and PRI trunks go down all the time but the only occasion I can remember where anyone with normal landlines had total loss of service was that time when a city work crew repairing a burst water main took a backhoe through the main backbone between two of the main local telecom exchanges.

The last two in person jobs I’ve had (both school districts) used Jive / GoToConnect and both jobs had the regular internet phones, plus Jive backup boxes in the MDFs that allow a few copper lines in a network outage routed to the IP phones

It’s actually pretty slick

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

A Frosty Witch posted:

It's education so we get paid monthly. Pay periods run from 20th-20th and timecards are due the Friday before the next 20th. I just missed this pay period so I have to wait till we get paid on the next one, which is February 1st. It's wild but that's the public sector for you.

As someone who’s done education jobs before, if you make enough of a fit you can probably get an off cycle check cut.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sfwarlock posted:

Update: the big monitor and the trackball have not been found. The side monitors were "reallocated" by management who thought it unfair the new guy got fancy gear while they didn't, and basically were powertripping, and the keyboard was found in the urinal in the nearest men's room.

My management is taking a very haha-boys-will-be-boys attitude, which possibly pisses me off more.

when the new hire says "what the gently caress" and pulls their join, feel free to direct blame to management for their haha boys will be boys attitude

if you're at the point where a new hire's recruitment is contingent on them getting specific desk hardware, I guarantee you they a. are happy to walk and b. will be unemployed for about 6 hours

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sfwarlock posted:

Update to the update. I misheard, the keyboard was found ON the urinal, not IN it. A brave volunteer, using two layers of gloves, reports it is still functioning. Security camera footage is being pulled and HR is involved. People are going to get a come-to-Jesus meeting or two...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. The new hire's travel plans got snarled and he'll be here on the 29th. Fortunately for all concerned.

I see they realized that not fixing this immediately was the wrong move

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

:10bux: the culprits unless fired will result in pissing off the new hire to the point where they leave

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sfwarlock posted:

The latest: the monitor has returned! It was magically under the desk this AM. I'm guessing someone figured out they couldn't suddenly be using it and also probably couldn't sneak it out.

FAKEEDIT: ".... uh... does it look to anyone else like it was dropped on that corner?" Yeah. The screen is busted.

let me guess, no way it can be ordered to arrive by the 29th

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even better, they didn't bring it back because they thought they would get in trouble. They dropped it while trying to set it up and broke it. So they brought it back.

oh yeah, had they not broke it it wouldn't be back

hope y'all didn't spend too much on the recruiting process for this person, I guarantee you they'll be gone by next week

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

lol this is hilarious that your department keeps managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of "just barely making it out of here"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jen heir rick posted:

I see the date formats are different. But I don't understand what problem this is causing. What exactly is the problem that is happening? Are updates not getting through? I admit that I am dumb. So explain to me like I'm an extemely stupid person.

Apple does staged rollouts for AirTags.

They pick a date when to roll them out at a certain percentage; they then configured the rollouts to be finished April 0024

aka 2000 years ago, so iPhones immediately updated every AirTag they were paired with

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

Amazed that config doesn't get converted during a build to 20240401 and evaluated to see if it's within a value like 100 days of the current date.

They just smash the details onto an xml file on the Apple update server and that's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

you’re missing a cc and a distro list for the thread