Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

A Frosty Witch posted:

I sent an email to lowtax about it. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

i fucken love this website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

HEY DOES ANYONE WANT A GMAIL INVITE

I GOT 3 OF THEM

i still remember getting my account from iSnoop's thread in GBS

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

i am a moron posted:

I have a buddy who is a non-IT director at a hospital who is doing this and I’ve warned him repeatedly to stop because he’s gonna get fired for putting data into ChatGPT that he shouldn’t. I also helped him find a USB thingy that simulates mouse clicks so his computer won’t lock and warned him it could be some kinda malware but he didn’t seem concerned about it. Lmao
Why would you even help with this?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

i am a moron posted:

I’m a manager at my company and trust me, no one cares. We have people who are putting their own images on company machines and infosec can’t do poo poo about it. I have local admin and running a mouse jiggling program wouldn’t raise any eyebrows, plus our security team is in no way shape or form going to get someone fired because someone broke one of their rules unless it involved some hard to imagine loss of client data (which 9/10 times doesn’t touch our stuff anyways)
ok this went from believable idiocy to obvious troll

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

The shutdown / cold boot procedure basically involves just taking a config backup and then flipping the breakers on the back. And then praying when you fire it back up.

This one took about 3 hours to coax all the control boards and line cards back to life.
I can't be the only one wondering what happens during an unscheduled utility power black out

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

will deny having any knowledge of if asked to ever support them again.
This is a really awesome mindset, and one that I think a lot of newer IT folks forget is an option.

For example: If you're trying to get away from a job that makes you support phone systems, and the interviewer at the new place asks you if you know telephony, a perfectly reasonable answer is "No." If they ever somehow find out AND confront you about your experience with telephony later, you can just say that you didn't and still don't feel confident working with it and so didn't want to overstate your capabilities.

This accomplishes two things:
- You might actually get the job that doesn't make you support telephony (or <insert technology you hate>)
- You show humility and "self-awareness" of your own skill level

See, sometimes lying works out for everyone. :)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Wizard of the Deep posted:

When your attempts at erudition fail,
No one is fooled by your insipid words.
You hide your shameful face behind email,
Hoping to buffalo with words in herds.

Instead, use language familiar:
"Please" and "Thank you" and your "Would you kindly";
Worry not about words peculiar.
And compose your dialect unblindly.

Whenever you speak with that foolishness
Your intentions are led so far astray.
With your brazen display of mulishness,
You embarrass those you wish to obey.

This wisdom of mine I beg you to heed;
Otherwise you might look like a dickweed.

:master:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

It actually turned out to be that they have the modem/router in an energy saving power strip with the computer in the primary outlet

lmao

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sywert of Thieves posted:

LLMs were brought up in our company a few months ago, and one of my senior co-workers said he used it to explain a piece of code to him. This is such a bad idea that I had a million things to say about it uit, but I was unable to accurately convey my :stare: into words.
I don't understand your objection to it; can you explain your reason for being :stare:? If I'm looking at a very poorly written/poorly documented piece of code and need to understand it to troubleshoot it, throwing it in to ChatGPT and have it explain what its doing saves me a ton of time trying to manually figure it out.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I mean, yes, that's technically true, but it has helped me (and I assume your co-worker, too) actually solve real problems, so it must be able to recognize the patterns of code we're throwing at it to get useful solutions to them. It would one thing if it's responses were non-sensical and didn't actually help, but I can say with certainty that at least in my cases, it has been able to produce meaningful responses to my questions about what a function is doing, to the point that I've been able to then move on to my original task and succeed where I would have otherwise continued to bang my head against my desk.

If you don't want to use it for that purpose, that's your prerogative, but to think your senior co-worker is doing something actively wrong by finding a way to make use of a tool at his fingertips seems like reverse-boomer-level nonsense. :)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

"gently caress u pay me"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

vanity slug posted:

git commit -am "fixed"

murder

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
obligatory

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

This is extremely stupid, but you can force it to include your search term by putting it in quotes.
The point is that I shouldn't have to opt-in to search terms I just fucken told you I care about. If anything, I should have to opt-in and mark certain words as optional.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
To continue dog-piling on Google's mindblowingly stupid decisions lately, what are people's thoughts on DuckDuckGo in TYOOL 2024? I refused to use it shortly after it came out because the search results were completely fucken useless, but I have got to assume that, years later, they've gotten better?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been using it for a while and have no real complaints.

Good enough for me. Switched my default search engine and praying that I make it through the day without crying.

Thanks

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF3of5VRcNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe