Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've hooked this email thread into Teams so I can respond with a GIF

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We need to move to a new thread, we’ll do it really cheap and have the users move their own posts. Can you provide instructions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We should move to the cloud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ever since you upgraded me to the new thread I've been having problems sending emails from my phone. Can you please fix this problem once and for all because it's impacting my ability to make sales.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Admittedly completely out of my element, but why even give them the time of day? They don't know you, and they don't need to know you.

"Have we worked with you before?"
Nope! Sure haven't. I'm in a completely different state and have no idea who you are.

Even if you've met them in person and they think you look familiar? No, person I don't want to associate with, you're mistaken, we are complete strangers.

Of course thinking of it in the moment is a lot harder than mentally re-treading that conversation in the shower the next day.

If people are being dickheads then I wouldn't want to award them a contract to work for me

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also nobody agrees on top or bottom posting

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Give them the oldest vacuum cleaner you can find and then clock off

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stop giving so much of yourself to a company that couldn't give a gently caress less, work to rule from now on

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

hell yeah

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Frosty Witch posted:

I think I've finally hit the point in my career and age that my jaded outlook on everything has resulted in a personality that exudes confidence, but is mostly just me not being able to give a poo poo anymore.

I have an interview in an hour and normally I'd be pacing and tearing my hair out and rehearsing questions but today I'm finding it really hard to care.

I'm going to roll in there, put on my customer service voice, act like I want to be there, answer some questions, and then take the mask off and go back to my spreadsheets mildly annoyed that I was taken away from them in the first place.

Did I do it? Am I finally IT?

Congrats. Not appearing desperate for the job is probably a positive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Frosty Witch posted:

I started off the interview by accidentally insulting the interviewer for having had frosted tips as a teenager.

lmao, but also bullet dodged

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also if you're running critical workloads on AWS and are big enough to have 300 clusters then it's sort of on you to read their blog now and again or look at the mailing list, maybe even respond to your account manager when they try and get your attention.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, if you aren't going to read emails then delete your mailbox so at least it bounces

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your email would be whatever cPanel installed (Horde?), it would authenticate against an IMAP server and everything was in clear text.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wonder if Google still have records of who invited who to Gmail, and if that's going to cause some mass account suspension episode in the future.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why isn't my 12 year old laptop on Wi-Fi getting the speeds I'm paying for?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

By the time you're having to spend a decent chunk of money on your internal network, faster internet speeds start to look less appealing. Up to 1gb is easy, past that can become a pain in the arse.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think stuff like ClearPass makes this a ton easier

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

UK wages are in the bin, I’ll see if I can find the stats from the other day

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Certs are a feature on my evaluation of new products/services, alongside SSO. If there's an unreasonable SSO tax or it's not supported, and cert renewal can't be scripted (also give me a really good reason why Let's Encrypt cannot be used) then I'm not interested. The Acme plugin for pfSense can authenticate against Azure as an enterprise app and create the DNS records needed to validate the cert before sending the renewal request and clearing up after itself, every three months. Why can't your commercial UTM box?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:911:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phones are poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress sake

That's what you get for trying I guess.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if answer=true

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd think that posting about how you were heading off to a place to kill people and then going there with your guns would result in a charge sticking but these are fun times

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s very helpful that people still using BlackBerry devices have that signature as it means you can ignore them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't want the ability for my lights to turn on or the temperature of my house to be not freezing to be dependent on an internet service and I have no idea why there has been such a large acceptance cheap poo poo insecure IoT hardware that seems to open permanent connections to Chinese cloud services

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was helping my dad move from one Samsung phone to the other a couple of weeks ago, searching Google for "Samsung Smart Switch" on an Android device gives the top result as a sponsored link which is an alternate app store hosting what is presumably malware. Google's complete indifference to the user experience of their services is almost without parallel.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Oh it's actually good you just need to root it and then use"

No gently caress off

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We hired someone who I had to point out had spelled their own name wrong on their resume that they handed to us

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can let smart thermostats slide simply because nobody seems able to make a programmable thermostat that is easy to configure. I'll pay double just to get a web UI and automatic DST changes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That thing is a relic, wow

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the reasoning behind running that thing still?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only phone knowledge I will admit to having is "I can give you dialtone in Teams if you'd like"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hey do you know about door access control?

Nope, no idea.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool how the fire code used to be "yeah just punch a hole in the drywall if you want". It's like there was a shortage of saws or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a great video where some massive exchange in NYC (maybe) got burned out and due to the size of the company and the fact they were also the manufacturer they pulled in people from all over the country, diverted hardware that was due to go out to other areas and adapted it for the rebuild, expedited cable manufacturing, dragged in trailers of payphones etc. and had everything up in a couple of weeks. Not sure you could do that now where everything is a contract with a third party.

E: This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AWAmGi-g8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

UPSes that are monitored and tested gets you around the power loss issue, and for life-critical services you use diversely routed fibre so that digging one route up doesn't cause a problem. There's no inherent reason why POTS needs to be more reliable than IP, I think people are just used to paying telephone line rental money and getting something incredibly robust as a result, even if a lot of that is by accident rather than anything that the phone company promises.