Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Could we maybe import the old posts into this new thread or something? Some of us still read posts in the old thread and I think this would make it easier to find them all in one place.

e: Or maybe a PST file? Can an admin export the old thread into a PST so I can add it to my Outlook profile? Also, could you remote in and show me how to add a PST?

Now I wanna make a powershell script that takes every single post and makes it into an email. Ten thousand terrible subject-less emails in an inbox.

Edit: Or every single post is put in the subject line, and overflows into the body once it hits the character limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
My Gripe is that the Brother business/workgroup class color printers are 100% out of loving stock everywhere. I don't even care that they're like $700, just please sell me one.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Internet Explorer posted:

I won't be in front of a computer for a few days, but I'd really like to make some version of this the thread title. Just amazing.

[SPAM] FW: RE: Ticket escalated to Lowtax, awaiting agent response

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renegret posted:

"Prior experience working in a start-up operation"

So it's probably a start up that's trying to have a single person as a one stop shop for...every single computer need in existence. Including developing all of the 6 different idea guy's apps.

"Must also be comfortable wearing kneepads and making eye contact, because the VC guys are gonna want some spit-polishing when they stop by, if you know what I mean."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

A Frosty Witch posted:

I loving hope not but I don't even know how to begin bringing this up.

"So about those making GBS threads dogs loving on your desktop" seems a little brusque.

Honestly I'm just going to mention it to his supervisor and let him handle it.

I don't get paid near enough to kinkshame.

But it's still a good coach-able moment!

"Hey buddy, got a second? We all saw what was on your desktop, and I'm not a snitch but who knows what could happen? So my advice is if anyone asks you in your next job interview why you no longer work here, just say "It was a bad cultural fit" and refuse to elaborate. Also maybe keep whatever you use to rustle your jimmies on a personal machine you don't use for work next time?"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

kensei posted:

I really do not want furries referenced in the title of a thread I made but go wild y'all

We can be circumspect about how many opposable thumbs those dogs making GBS threads and loving have, though I'm unsure if that would make the resulting mental image better or worse?

Best be polite about it, like seeing dick pics on your buddy's phone when he's scrolling through his gallery showing you stuff. Maybe it's his dick, maybe it's dick he's getting. Either way, pretend it didn't happen and/or give him endless poo poo over it. Depends on the nature of your friendship, I guess?

SlowBloke posted:

Streaming and media upload is the main purpose of faster than gigabit links in most of the cases since you get decent uploads that way.

95% of my 10GB usage is copy/pasting poo poo to and from my hobo-SAN/NAS box. There's something magical about moving a game from local disk to the NAS at 400 MB/sec.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

In more thread related news, I got sold today. Literally sold.

:wtc:

I didn't think you could actually sell the rights to an RFC like that? You could only patent encumber them by requiring technologies owned by someone. Did Keurig buy you?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

more shitposting incoming, if I can ever catch up on all my threads

Please do, I want to know how the k-cup QR code DRM interfaces with your coffee pot protocol.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

i am a moron posted:

I mean you have to acknowledge somewhere, somehow that you’re being employed by a new company. When my last place sold our division the people that didn’t agree to move over just stopped being employed by anyone. There isn’t a mechanism in the US to do this totally against someone’s will

That depends entirely on the structure of the acquisition. It's entirely possible for your boss and entire management structure to be replaced without directly changing the entity who signs your paycheck and who you have an employment contract with. Nobody likes to do that because it's messy as hell, but it is doable.

Depending on the state "gently caress you, I'm not signing that" would be a layoff, not quitting, because the business unit dissolved with the acquisition. Most employment lawyers will answer some questions for free, and everyone deserves a severance package. That's probably why HR wanted a resignation, because the resignation affirms the change in employment, then instantly ends it, preventing the "it's not a layoff, it's a merger" loophole they closed after the games they played in the 90s.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Darchangel posted:

Lol, “employment contract” in the US of A. At least for anything les than Veep.
Edit: which RFC might have been! I don’t know.

Just because the contract says they can fire you for any reason or no reason doesn't make it less contractual. They can tell you that 'your new boss will be X', but they can't say 'your new employer will be Y' and actually do it without you signing something. Either side can zero notice quit the contact, but one side absolutely cannot renegotiate specific terms unilaterally. Basic US contract law prohibits that.

Contracts with teeth that cut both ways don't start until you're in the equity bracket of leadership, or you're both extremely valuable (and management both knows it AND is willing to acknowledge it). Which is rare these days, when most companies will happily saw off their foot rather than deal fairly with someone with value to the company.

i am a moron posted:

Yea I mean wholly owned subsidiaries are a thing. True mergers might not qualify either, I know my wife has been through a few and I don’t think they reoffer necessarily. You can’t just peel off part of a company and hand it to another company though. Even something as simple as health insurance can’t be worked out without interacting with an employee

Health Insurance on the employer side is a loving nightmare of bullshit, and you bet your rear end that everything involved with it lives and dies based on dozens of very specific terms and clauses, of which selling a division would 110% invalidate for those employees.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arquinsiel posted:

That's your fault for giving them a Boolean OR to answer. Phrase it as "of the following options please indicate the correct choice" to deal with smartarses like me.

Edit: "yes, do that one" would be more infuriating.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 17, 2023

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shugojin posted:

The dumpster fire I'm watching had accelerant thrown on it but it's finally finishing lol

Put ten guys in a line and give them each a case of beer and that fire will be out in no time!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Darchangel posted:

No, we are a revenue enabling department. Just see how far you get without us,

The CIO and CFO were able to get entirely out the door before that outsourcing deal caused massive overhead related layoffs, so it was a great idea as far as they're concerned!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shugojin posted:

It blows my mind every time i run across someone who doesn't have something blocking ads already

I had to turn mine off to make youtube work, and oh my god the internet is a hellish nightmare of blinking bullshit and autoplaying nonsense without one.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

guppy posted:

If you must, just make an exception for YouTube, don't turn it off globally.

Oh I know, but for one glorious half hour while I was fighting with poo poo, it was off completely. And ho-lee-gently caress, I am never doing that again. Website breaks when adblocker is enabled? Better find a different website, apparently.

I do like how the ad blocker arms race now includes 'please disable your ad blocker' popup blockers, and blockers for the blockers. It's a nightmare of javascript all the way down.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

A Frosty Witch posted:

I marched down to HR and threw an absolute "do you know who I am" tantrum until they gave me an email address.

Also I think I can use my credit card to pay my rent.

Everything's finally lining up for ol' Frosty Witch

"do you know who I am?"

"No, Ma'am you're not in our system. Who are you again?"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

New client bingo card: already checked off 'on-prem exchange,' 'windows server essentials,' 'please activate windows'. lookin good

Are you using the Bingo Card with "Cheap rear end in a top hat with no budget for upgrades" as the free square, or "Wants more tickets resolved despite having $5,000 in outstanding invoices"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bone Crimes posted:

Post your favorite (derogatory) Microsoft product names (current or old) :

Mine is 'Lync for Business'

Groove. Imagine an Access Database. Now imagine that database has a peer to peer data sync engine stapled to it. Now duct tape access controls and user accounts to it.