Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mllaneza posted:

Our current "remodel a whole floor to the new standard" standard has the lights powered by PoE. I think that makes sense versus running that many more actual power runs, but my hat's off to whoever thought of it.

IDK about other places but where I am, you can generally have any old schmuck pull and terminate Cat6 whenever you like. Running solid copper for 110V requires a permit and an electrician. That alone would be a significant factor for me when considering a retrofit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Hidden SSIDs generally only affect the default UI for joining a network, so that if you want to add a client you have to manually put in the details instead of picking it out of the list. If you have actual WiFi scanner software then you will still be able to detect the presence and SSID of the network, so it's not going to foil anyone who is actually looking out for hidden networks and knows what they're doing.

I don't think the client needs to do any more work than usual once the network is already configured, although I could be forgetting something.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 14, 2024