Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Please 2023 ghost, bless me with the :yotj: to end all :yotj: so I can finally pass the torch to a new generation of goon in the well :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I've got a new client back home in the deep ol' south.

I'm trying to get a low voltage vendor out there to certify the lines as part of my pre-onboarding investigation and, of course, I have to reach out to vendors I used to work with at my last job before I moved, and, more importantly, before I transitioned. These are incredibly small businesses who remember every customer they've ever had, so of course they remember me. Sort of.

"Your name sounds familiar, have we worked with you before?"

Uh... yeah. You could say that. I used to work at [school], but I had a different name back then.

Then they connect the dots and, oh gosh, look at that, we don't have an opening to schedule anything after all, toodles.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The greatest joy I'm capable of feeling is knowing that I gave the tv station a roadmap for migrating off of rackspace 7 years ago and they scoffed at it. As of a month ago they were still on rackspace and literally everyone hates it.

The CE has tried to migrate them to O365 several times but he can't figure out how to actually do it and just ends up loving up the routing for a full day at a time before having to roll everything back.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

:eyepop:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Speaking of a risk of comedy, after over 400 applications I finally got a response.

I have an interview tomorrow.

Let's see how my particular brand of luck demolishes this opportunity :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Our support team just pulled a landspeed record for completely loving up a relationship with a client.

I onboarded a new client recently, and it was a new construction, so I was there with them every step of the way to coordinate a new loving construction from the ground up and after a LOT of work, we were able to pull it off spectacularly in the allotted timeframe. They opened on time with a completely new tech infrastructure, they were super confident in our services, I got raving reviews in my survey, and they were even assuredly going to enroll their other existing branches into our support.

Fast-forward to today, two weeks after I handed them off to our support services.

They just sent in their notice. They're firing us.

Reason? Our dogshit support staff and their lack of process. The very things I perfected when I was in charge of service desk, and the very things I told the owner I should be made Director of Client Services to oversee. The very things they told me were not an issue.

It took service desk over a week and a half to respond to a ticket where service account creds had been lost by a machine and needed to be re-entered so they could open their client management program.
It took service desk a week to clear a print spool.

In two weeks, they never talked to anyone in service desk. They only got our overflow answering service.

The one response they sent to clients was a boileplate "we'll reach out to you as soon as possible" response and then they never followed up.

I am... beyond exhausted. I am beyond furious.

I am so tired of giving so much of myself to this place to have everyone else do less than the bare minimum and never see any accountability.

bleh :smith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

4 job interviews came in after a year of nothing.

2023 looking good already :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Renegret posted:

A Ticket came in:

Users asking the hard hitting questions

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I think I've finally hit the point in my career and age that my jaded outlook on everything has resulted in a personality that exudes confidence, but is mostly just me not being able to give a poo poo anymore.

I have an interview in an hour and normally I'd be pacing and tearing my hair out and rehearsing questions but today I'm finding it really hard to care.

I'm going to roll in there, put on my customer service voice, act like I want to be there, answer some questions, and then take the mask off and go back to my spreadsheets mildly annoyed that I was taken away from them in the first place.

Did I do it? Am I finally IT?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Congrats. Not appearing desperate for the job is probably a positive.

I'll make sure to tell them that when the interview starts.

HELLO I'M NOT DESPERATE OR NERVOUS AT ALL OK A Y

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Aaaaaaand they ghosted me :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Probably not the literal interpretation of the phrase, but the sentiment is the same. He cancelled the first interview attempt half an hour before and rescheduled for today. I've asked him a few times to confirm the appointment but didn't get a response. The meeting was supposed to be today, and after 5 minutes of waiting I sent him a message reminding him. After half an hour I sent him another message letting him know I was closing the bridge and thanked him for the opportunity.

I dunno. Feels like ghosting to me.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Renegret posted:

Just consider it a dodged bullet.

In like a week they'll try to reschedule again and you just say no.

This is the plan :fuckoff:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ugh that was a thing.

I started off the interview by accidentally insulting the interviewer for having had frosted tips as a teenager.

Then, in this interview for an IT Manager position, a position in which they specifically mention leading a team, it's revealed that there is no team and it's a solo shop.

Who the gently caress am I managing then, Sugar Ray?

I am zero percent interested in running a solo shop again. I DID MY TIME

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I sent an email to lowtax about it. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Turned down for every job so far. At least I'm consistent :unsmith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Thank you for the new thread title.

Finally, my unfinished business is complete and I can move on to the afterlife

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

That's significantly than I was expecting

Significantly what?? I still can't tell if that's a good or bad salary

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'm hosting a meeting to review a new client with our helpdesk before officially handing the client over for full support desk services and the meeting is hosted by myself and whichever technician did the onsite work. The onsite tech generally takes over for the last quarter of the meeting to do a virtual walkthrough of the clinic using pictures they took. Usually super boring.

I just finished covering my section and handed things over to the onsite tech to do his part. I stopped sharing and he started sharing his screen. The window he had open minimized while he swapped to the folder his pictures are in.

His background was fully visible for about 1.5 seconds.

It was two furries in diapers hardcore loving.

Then it was gone. Now I'm watching literally everyone in this meeting trying to keep a straight face and failing and the presenter is moving gamely forward.

For the first time ever, this is none of my concern.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I loving hope not but I don't even know how to begin bringing this up.

"So about those making GBS threads dogs loving on your desktop" seems a little brusque.

Honestly I'm just going to mention it to his supervisor and let him handle it.

I don't get paid near enough to kinkshame.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Exactly, different strokes for different folks but consent is consent, my dude.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > [SPAM] FW: RE: So about those making GBS threads dogs loving on your desktop

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A second round of interviews at my dream job just came in.

Here's hoping :unsmith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dream job turned me down, big surprise.

I have decided I'm completely unhirable.

I'm going to retire from job hunting for a bit, I think.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A termination came in.

Mine.

:smithicide:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sounds like they got tired of you making everyone else look bad.

You have NO idea, actually. HR didn't even know. This was punitive af

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

evobatman posted:

Talk to a lawyer?

The company is cutting departments to stay afloat and now has the operations director doubling up and doing my work. That place is either going to sell or liquidate within 6 months so I'd rather just let them finish their drain circling. At least I was able to make it out with severance.

I had to return my equipment yesterday to the office, directly to the owner. I was there at the same time as the other employee they laid off and we got to talking since he had other insights into the situation. The owner also pulled me to the side to talk, so I've got a clearer picture of what happened.

I can't go into specifics but he essentially had to free up an amount of money to stay operational and it was either let a highly ranked and paid employee go or let two lower ranked non-essential employees go. He chose the latter.

I still think it was a reeeeaaally bad call to let me go rather than, say, one of the extra service desk members, but I'm also glad I was able to take that hit instead of new parents or people who just bought houses. Plus this is sort of a weight off my shoulders. I'd have never had the nerve to quit so the decision was made for me.

He set me up with their recruiter, gave me severance, and gave me a letter of recommendation. I have a meeting with the recruiter later today and I'm approved for unemployment.

I'm laying low this week and playing video games and trying to process my rejection dysphoria. I'll hit the grindstone next week.

Bigger and better things are coming :unsmith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

It's me, the dumb bitch that just sent out like 18 cover letters with "Dear [recipient]" instead of an actual salutation because I thought I was slick making a template.

:smith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

:yotj:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Congrats! Hope you've got some buffer for time off, and remember the notice period is a courtesy. If you get any lip, down tools and walk out.

I got laid off months ago, actually :ohdear:

This might be a little premature because I don't have an actual offer in front of me yet but they called after I got turned down for a PM position to let me know about a non-advertised management position in support they wanted to me interview for. I'm the only one they're considering, the interview went great, the director said I'm a perfect fit and the only next step is to sit down with the VP (who recommended me in the first place) to hammer out compensation next week.

I feel pretty confident it's mine, but my fingers are still super crossed.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Second interview down :ohdear:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

:yotj:

My unemployment dried up a month ago so looks like Target has a new junior member to stock shelves.

Thus ends the saga of larchesdanrew.

It's been wild y'all :unsmith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Just got a call that a potential job wants to fly me out to Portland for a second interview.

That's probably a good sign, right? :ohdear:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Powell’s books, voodoo donuts and a new job is a hell of a flying visit.

I've been looking to make the move for a long time. My closest friend and the rest of my social circle lives up there so I visit as much as I can and I love love love it.

This particular job is absolutely perfect for me and my skillset. The interview committee seemed to really like me and the executive assistant that called to coordinate the date was a bit flustered and apologized saying they had literally never flown someone in from out of state for an interview so she's not sure of the process.

I'm taking that as a sign that they are heavily considering me. Fingers crossed. :ohdear:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, either they want to make you feel special, so you take the job... or they want to make you feel special so you take the job.

I hope it's the latter :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'm headed up to Portland tomorrow!

My interview is on Monday so I'm going to spend the weekend laying low at a friend's place.

I interviewed with the public library for an operations supervisor position yesterday and they seemed to like me. The hiring manager (who would be my supervisor) specifically mentioned that they were really impressed with my experience and accomplishments in particular out of all the candidates, so I thought that was promising. I fumbled one question because it was really vague. "tell me about Office365 vs an on premesis solution." I wasn't really sure what he was asking about because I could blather on about specifics forever so I asked him to clarify. After a bit of back and forth I just decided to explain that I have over a hundred O365 migrations under my belt and have admined near countless instances of Azure and cloud O365 so I'm extremely comfortable with every aspect of managing Microsoft licensing and software deployment. Other than that it went well. They'll be in touch next week if I move on to final interviews.

I had another person at the same place reach out last week on Wednesday afternoon to ask me to set up an interview for an analyst position I had applied for months and months ago. I didn't see the email until Friday so I emailed him back and apologized for the late response and that the scheduling link he sent didn't have any slots listed and asked if I could schedule with him manually. I also mentioned I'd literally be in Portland at his office in a week and I could stop by and talk then. No response until yesterday: "yeah sorry we wrapped up interviews last week best of luck."

Gee, thanks? Love waiting three months to be given an absolute speck of time to schedule an interview. At least that position was way under me.

Other than that my unemployment officially ran out last week so... Uh... One of these places gotta hire me, please

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Weedle posted:

i hope you get the library job.

I got the second interview :unsmith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The final interview for the PDX job went amazingly. They bypassed the usual questions to let me grill them about the job for a while and then the Director of Technology drove me around and gave me a tour of datacenters and current project sites. They said they'll have an answer by the end of the week :ohdear:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Fool posted:

You got it, that interview was for them to convince you.

Shh no one tell them how desperate I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I pop out of from behind an EMC and stare daggers at the datacenter supervisor

:catstare: "I mean it, Patel. You tell anyone and your rear end is graaaaassss..." As I slide into the abyss of cables and blinking lights.

Comedy option: "It's none of your conceeerrrrnn..."