Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You love to see it. New thread, new year, things are looking up in the professional business email thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've never had Slack do that, only people who don't know how to use threads. Seems to be the same people who reply with 3 words at a time and 10 messages to say what they wanted to say.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

I feel attacked

Look, we can't all be perfect.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just say false positive immediately after they say false flag. Every time. I hear people love that. :smug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, I knew that was going to come up and I don't blame you. I couldn't remember who it was.

I still don't love the joke, tbh, but it feels like less of a stretch. I dunno. In short, modding is a world of contrasts and at least it was only a 6er I guess.

[edit: Now I remember, I think what pushed it over the edge for me was that it was something along the lines of buying a Brother. Again, I dunno. I do still think it's a tread carefully kind of thing.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 5, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like to think of it as the universal punchline to every joke. The gift that keeps on giving. Thank you, uncreative younger me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For real. That place sounds lovely as hell. Stop exhausting yourself over it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well said, couldn't agree more. And good luck with your own search!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's good to feel an amount of balance between confidence and nervousness going into an interview. Kind of like dating, I guess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Frosty Witch posted:

I sent an email to lowtax about it. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

I won't be in front of a computer for a few days, but I'd really like to make some version of this the thread title. Just amazing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kensei posted:

The previous thread is not in the GoldMine, where do I file the bug report?

e: vvvv loving lol

Sorry, I was away from a personal PC for a bit. Into the GoodMine it goes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845247

A Frosty Witch posted:

I sent an email to lowtax about it. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

Thank you for the new thread title. Sorry, I know the thread is new, I'm abusing my power, etc., but it needs to be done.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

chin up everything sucks posted:

I think we should continue to wait patiently for lowtax to address the concerns in A Frosty Witches email.

yeah, I'm sorry, this is just too good and too new of a title to get swapped out

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's great news! You got this. :hai:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell yeah. And sorry it did not work out, but it sounds like it's for the best. Wishing you a relaxing break and a good job search. I always thought your job sounded bad, you can do a lot better.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Figure out why they are doing a Remote Desktop session to an office PC and fix it so they don’t need to do that

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh hell yeah! What great news on a Friday. Congrats!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When the laptop is set up to share its internet connection over WiFi you all are going to have egg on your face. :stonklol:

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 27, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shugojin posted:

It actually turned out to be that they have the modem/router in an energy saving power strip with the computer in the primary outlet

Bahaha, amazing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh hell yeah that's a good sign. Good luck!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yay! Such great news.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

that's the one

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's not even remotely true for most networking teams. Maybe in the most basic of networks.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 4, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

I'm generalizing of course but it's the opposite. I work for an ISP so if, for example, I have a single customer complaining of a routing issue because they can't get to Google, I can promise you there's no routing problem. Just because your trace ends in our core network doesn't mean the core network is down you're gonna have to trust me on that. Same goes with DHCP for example, it's either working flawlessly or we're in a crisis.

What I'm trying to say is our events tend to be "hundreds of customer calls" or "not service impacting" and there's very little middle ground. Even weird nebulous issues tend to have rippling effects to other services.

In practice about 10% of my job is being the rubber duckie for other teams to talk through their problems with because they're out of ideas on why their poo poo's not working and "eh it must be the network" is always the fallback option.

Oh for sure, if you are working for an ISP and dealing with a lot of end-user facing calls I can only imagine. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when networking folks are super sure the problem is 100% not their issue because the world isn't on fire. While that may be true 99.9% of the time, sometimes that 00.1% can be an absolute nightmare trying to get someone acknowledge and actually work on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Geemer posted:

Y'all jinxed her by setting that thread title. :colbert:

Look, I just press the buttons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Done. Ticket closed.

(seriously though, good luck and I know you'll knock it out of the park!)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought with how amazing it is that Musk would be first in line.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, absolutely not

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

duh, ray tracing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Same, honestly

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Request Closed: WONTFIX

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

look i just changed the thread title okay

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I had a few days off for wisdom teeth as well because they did four in one go under general anaesthetic. The days off are mainly so you can come back nicely from the anaesthetic, and watch what you're eating because they scare you shitless about dry socket.

I got my wisdom teeth removed when I was in high school, general anesthesia as well. 2 days later I was playing soccer and went up for a header. Not my brightest moment.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Because when Congress changed DST in 2007 they phased it in and the day changed by a week for like a decade. A lot of DST had static dates that couldn't be changed and part of that big disaster was adding flexible dates.

It's been so long and I'm still mad at Microsoft for bundling their Exchange DST 2007 fix in with permission changes that hosed Blackberries and caused a bunch of work.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also that post made me feel very very old.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Data Graham posted:

pyf widely deployed infra passwords

The service accounts with domain/enterprise admin whose passwords are stored in the description field in AD.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been using it for a while and have no real complaints.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes would be a great thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

there, i think we covered all of our bases