Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Someone deleted all the old posts? Can we restore from backup? **URGENT!**

(we might be violating HIPPO/SOCSK without those posts?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Apparently my Xerox is hard-coded to the old thread, and it just keeps printing out "LOCKED: PLEASE SEE ADMINISTRATOR" every 47 minutes? Please address and revert.

(I can't reset the MFP because nobody knows the admin password or how the fax portion is set up so please don't suggest that)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Now I wanna make a powershell script that takes every single post and makes it into an email. Ten thousand terrible subject-less emails in an inbox.

Edit: Or every single post is put in the subject line, and overflows into the body once it hits the character limit.

Clearly the thread title goes in the subject line, and you use Outlook rules to sort it into a folder.

Then sit back smug in the knowledge that you've just reimplemented RSS but worse,

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yea, this isn't normal or healthy, and the business is likely to start experiencing significant financial hardships unless several people who are not you manage to resolve their cranial/anal intersection.

I'll say it again with bold letters: This is not how a healthy organization operates. Evacuate immediately.

Minimum effort obviously won't get punished immediately, so they get lip service while all your real effort goes to finding your next role.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I literally just learned about this three days ago, Anyone else lose like 3 years recently?

I mean, yes, everybody. But don’t feel too bad. It was news for like a week and then completely disappeared as everyone forgot about him like they should.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

A Frosty Witch posted:

A second round of interviews at my dream job just came in.

Here's hoping :unsmith:

Good luck!

I'm doing my part by telling LinkedIn recruiters that their compensation range is about half where it needs to be for me to continue the conversation, and eagerly refreshing to see if they've stopped laughing/crying/sighing long enough to respond.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

A Frosty Witch posted:

You have NO idea, actually. HR didn't even know. This was punitive af

gently caress 'em, and good luck. Go find someplace new and make it even more awesome.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Shugojin posted:

update: that was them asking for the thing

Not in English it wasn't.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Shugojin posted:

No it was just a white guy who was over-writing his email in an attempt to sound smart

I knew what he wanted but his company did some bad work for ours back when they were contracting that annoys me at least once a week so I made him say it in a sane way

When your attempts at erudition fail,
No one is fooled by your insipid words.
You hide your shameful face behind email,
Hoping to buffalo with words in herds.

Instead, use language familiar:
"Please" and "Thank you" and your "Would you kindly";
Worry not about words peculiar.
And compose your dialect unblindly.

Whenever you speak with that foolishness
Your intentions are led so far astray.
With your brazen display of mulishness,
You embarrass those you wish to obey.

This wisdom of mine I beg you to heed;
Otherwise you might look like a dickweed.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Congrats! Hope you've got some buffer for time off, and remember the notice period is a courtesy. If you get any lip, down tools and walk out.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

A Frosty Witch posted:

I got laid off months ago, actually :ohdear:

This might be a little premature because I don't have an actual offer in front of me yet but they called after I got turned down for a PM position to let me know about a non-advertised management position in support they wanted to me interview for. I'm the only one they're considering, the interview went great, the director said I'm a perfect fit and the only next step is to sit down with the VP (who recommended me in the first place) to hammer out compensation next week.

I feel pretty confident it's mine, but my fingers are still super crossed.

gently caress, sorry. Dunno if I missed it or you didn't share it.

Good luck sealing the deal!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I tried that too once, but after 10-15 minutes I started to feel bad for the poor lady in India. :(

She's actively participating in a scam. gently caress her.

Any scammer's time you waste is a moral good. You're keeping them from scamming someone else.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Am I unfairly cynical about ~*AI*~?

I doubt it. I've repeatedly called it AutoCorrect Writ Large, because that's all it really is. It's text prediction based on what other text looks like.

It's not "hallucinating", because that implies it has senses to be fooled. It's just constructing plausible sentences.

There is a place for expert systems, tools designed explicitly for a task like analyzing code or rapidly prototype novel drug combos. But these Bayesian word salad-spinners ain't that.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Kurieg posted:

The saga of frosty witch is long and winding.

And I'm not trying to buffalo you, but really it's none of your concern.

Good luck, A Frosty Witch! Rooting for you!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yay! Definitely a happier Thanksgivings for you. Congrats!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Can confirm from recent experience that a spineless manager is actively worse that no manager at all.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Darchangel posted:

35 years. I barely know what I know.

20 years in, and I know what I know.

And it ain't much.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Probably foundation from rubbing the area right in front of the ear, below the temple?

And yea, I moved over to DDG when Bing went heavy on the AI. As Vegastar said, DDG has improved, but the bigger factor is Google and Bing have gone to absolute poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Geemer posted:

But this whole thread is a cry for help...

Dunno-Lars posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes - DO NOT ASK FOR COMPUTER HELP

Mixological assistance is available for a reasonable fee.