Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yo buddy just a heads up we all saw your desktop. Cheers and take care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cool Dad posted:

Well they're in diapers you gotta assume

edit: wow what a snipe

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Yes, my linux based home lab that is explicitly MS free needs me to integrate it into azure. That sounds like *fun*

Especially since I manage everything with ansible

Sounds like you agree :D

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I tell you the thousands of dollars I get per month from my last job that is still going 4 months later is pretty nice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Negotiate for maxed PTO on day one. If they give you HR bullshit about how it can’t be done then ask for a signing bonus equal to four weeks (or whatever) of your salary.

This is the easiest way to get extra dosh: “I have a bunch of vacations planned in the next six months and I won’t be getting paid for them unless I am maxed out. How can you help make this right?”

Never mind you got your PTO payout when you quit your last job.

I hosed up on this. I started with 0 hours. Ugh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I like a story with a feel good ending.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our security officer had to send out an email to tell people not to put classified data into chatgpt. Got some geniuses.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's why Microsoft tried to go app only land in Windows 8.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mine hooks up to my humidifier, dehumid, and power air exchanger so it can do a few more things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just don't be the one working there when it finally goes kaput.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Last place I worked, it was a requirement to have a pots line for the elevator phone in case the power went out and you were stuck in there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What games don't work in Windows 11? The OS has worked great for everything I've thrown at it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

i am a moron posted:

In all seriousness if you’re still printing stuff off and wasting paper and having these idiots continue to make printers you are part of the problem

We have to print off Fedex labels to send gear out to remote workers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Figure out why they are doing a Remote Desktop session to an office PC and fix it so they don’t need to do that

Usually it's because CAD or Adobe sucks rear end via VPN when your file server is on prem. RDP to an office desktop is a cheap and easy fix for an IT team that has no time or money.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

About god drat time. Congrats!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You don't work for the fire department, dont be a narc (or tell anyone about the fridge I have under my desk).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's like 75F outside and I'm in my office at work freezing my rear end off wearing a thick sweater and hoodie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Burning copy paper in a barrel is how I choose to stay warm.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's true, I'd rather be cold than hot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have a 150 TB buffalo we’re retiring at work that I’m taking home. Hello new Plex box.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I took home an old work Buffalo this week and currently migrating files to it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

To be fair, folks don’t get Halloween off here in the states either.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's like paying a month rent up front.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm working on setting up a Buffalo and it backs memories of old stories.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Only a partial zero or one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Knormal posted:

I didn't even know BGinfo could be made to look like a Geocities site.

That’s the draw. I just wish I could embed a midi.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hey, kudo's to the switch manufacture for that kinda life.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Onboarding is not an IT task, it is a line manager task. Line manager gets the laptop and the credentials (temporary access pass if you're on board with all that) and gives them to the new hire when they turn up.

Ha ha ha ha. We had a guy in IT whose job it was to onboard. Login, training, the whole loving works.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our health insurance changed and mine went from $76/month to $184/month.

Work bumped up my pay $50/month to cover this, apparently.

IDGI

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah and we were told Dec 27th.

One of the folks in IT was on vacation that week and he had $2500 in an FSA. Old insurance was re-done every April. This was changed starting Jan 1. Guess who lost his FSA?

What a company.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You kidding? it's gonna rain and fucker will electrocute you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I always wanted an on prem subscription virtualized desktop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Building a rube goldberg deployment of licensed technologies and infrastructure investment as an alternative to having a PC on your desk

On prem DR for when Azure goes down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The name I've seen branded around is Windows Next.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SixFigureSandwich posted:

That's an assumption your security team can investigate

What the hell is a security team

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I remember once I had to send our an all employee email asking whose iphone I found on the shelf next to the toilet.

It was the director of HR

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Back when I was doing desktop deployments, it did always bug me that new folks got new awesome gear while folks who have been there for ages had old gear, but gently caress, if your gear isn't good enough go to your boss and have them request new gear from IT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

collaborate with my nuts thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gotta make your own work. I'm watching yearly security videos today. Boring as all gently caress.