Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CarlCX posted:

I wonder how long a full back piece makes it uncomfortable to do guard practice.

Also new thread is getting finalized, so if you've got title recommendations, toss 'em in and jesus christ let's get the gently caress out of January.

I'm already excited for the dogs of february posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The world is weird:
https://twitter.com/Scott_Fontana/status/1619955880082157572

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The itching that backpiece will do will be really intense and last for a solid month, and there's no really great way to relieve it.
The deep flesh itching in the healing of a tattoo is way worse than the application, for me.

Have fun Charles

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Deleted? Can't get it to load.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Deleted? Can't get it to load.
update (including a screenshot of original tweet):
https://twitter.com/Scott_Fontana/status/1620035964675690499

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
On the one hand, war crimes. On the other:
https://twitter.com/grabaka_hitman/status/1620081683583365120

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC February - a bum, but in a loveable way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Glimmer of consciousness on the way down, as he turned his hand to brace for the fall?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

update (including a screenshot of original tweet):
https://twitter.com/Scott_Fontana/status/1620035964675690499

Too many Aurelios.

Also in the second end-of-the-month news story that's forcing me to rewrite the draft I already edited twice, Damir Ismagulov, who retired at the start of the month, announced that his agent informed him there's one fight left on his UFC contract and he wants to fight it out with a 5-round rematch against Arman Tsarukyan, after which he will, immediately, go back to being retired.

I assume we will see him in the prelims against Matt Frevola.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The itching that backpiece will do will be really intense and last for a solid month, and there's no really great way to relieve it.
The deep flesh itching in the healing of a tattoo is way worse than the application, for me.

Have fun Charles

my back is already poo poo i couldn't imagine doing rolls with a fresh backpiece lmao fighters really are something else

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Apparently Laura Sanko is going to be a commentator on the Lewis/Spivac card. Pretty cool! I don't know much about her except that she was a kickboxer I think. I do think they should have bumped Olivi up already, she rocks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Apparently Laura Sanko is going to be a commentator on the Lewis/Spivac card. Pretty cool! I don't know much about her except that she was a kickboxer I think. I do think they should have bumped Olivi up already, she rocks.

Laura has done commentary for DWCS and Invicta and she's without qualification a better commentator than most everyone the UFC ever puts on air. She fought for Invicta too.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I am disgusted (and not surprised) to hear that this is literally the first time a woman will be on commentary for a UFC show since they had Kathy Long on UFC 1.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

CommonShore posted:

Laura has done commentary for DWCS and Invicta and she's without qualification a better commentator than most everyone the UFC ever puts on air. She fought for Invicta too.

Ok I change my opinion to 'this rocks'

I hope she bumps Cormier or Anik or Cruz

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I doubt they’ll bump Anik. Talking that much without constantly loving up is a fairly unique skill.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

she's as tough as they come

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I actually have grown to quite like Anik. He seems to be able to get along pretty well with everybody and seems to enjoy his job and he is always prepared. And I mostly don't even notice him which is an excellent quality in an commentator.

Cruz and Cormier drive me crazy. Rogan should never come back.

Felder and Fitzgerald are good. And Bisping is only good if he isn't paired with any other former fighters or Rogan.

What current fighters do people think would make good commentators in the future?

I feel like Angela Hill has a funny voice, a sense of humour about herself, and a ton of experience and that is a good combination.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Cruz and Bisping make it about themselves so often, it's cringey almost. Anthony Smith seems to be a good candidate, although I don't mind DC, he so genuinely loves the job. THUG ROOOOSE!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I can't see anyone else being a better fit than Angie, one of the most intelligent and charismatic fighters, and really smooth on the mic which is not as easy as it looks.

^^ I really like on Anthony on the ESPN desk, not sure if he'd be a good fit for the live action though

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cruz is easily the worst and I'd love it if I never heard him on the mic ever again. Sanko, Olivi, or Angie would all be worlds better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

One of the PI functions should be to see if you can do commentary.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
Why can't it be April now?

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1620223083603689472

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Dana White listens intently to your dissatisfaction and after agreeing it couldn't possibly be worse, decrees that you can pick 2 posters from something awful's psp board to be manning the commentary booth for the next event. Who do you put in the booth?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

Dana White listens intently to your dissatisfaction and after agreeing it couldn't possibly be worse, decrees that you can pick 2 posters from something awful's psp board to be manning the commentary booth for the next event. Who do you put in the booth?

cortXbomb who did some streams of Japan's Grandslam MMA with his own commentary over it

FatherDog who is a Cool Person

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I think Angie rocks and would be perfect yah

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Felder, Fitzgerald, and sober Bisping are the only ones who I wouldn't immediately say are worse than Sanko. I'm tired of Anik. He's morphing into goldberg.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

a car pulls up to dunc's house. a rapping on the door. somewhere, in his heart, he knew he couldn't hide forever.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bring Back Mike Goldberg

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Marching Powder posted:

Manyank and Carl

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don’t think any two can claim all-time great GDT posters worthy of their own booth; it was always a team effort, like that one guy who swore to suck his own dick if Melendez-Alvarez wasn’t “amazing”.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 1, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Ok I change my opinion to 'this rocks'

I hope she bumps Cormier or Anik or Cruz

She wouldn't likely bump Anik. She seems more of a color commentator but also an interviewer so most likely she'll do the post fight interviews in the cage.

Lucasar posted:

I actually have grown to quite like Anik. He seems to be able to get along pretty well with everybody and seems to enjoy his job and he is always prepared. And I mostly don't even notice him which is an excellent quality in an commentator.

Cruz and Cormier drive me crazy. Rogan should never come back.

Felder and Fitzgerald are good. And Bisping is only good if he isn't paired with any other former fighters or Rogan.

What current fighters do people think would make good commentators in the future?

I feel like Angela Hill has a funny voice, a sense of humour about herself, and a ton of experience and that is a good combination.

Anthony Smith can speak well but I think he is more of the studio analyst and not a cage/ringside commentator.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also for anyone who doesn't know, there's a new Netflix Korean show called Physical 100.

It's a reality competition show where 100 male and female athletes, bodybuilders, models, etc. compete against each other in various physical tests in a sort of Squid Game inspired format where people get eliminated etc. Winner get's 300,000,000 Korean won (little under 250k USD).

Anyway Choo Sung-hoon, better known to use as Yoshihiro Akiyama, is on the show and this was what happened when he showed up. Keep in mind the rest of the contestants include Korean UDT/special forces people, members of the Korean olympic teams for wrestling, judo, etc. and they're all fanboying/fangirling over him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PILb0BnXk

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

Bring Back Mike Goldberg

This would be genuinely corn... to the core

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd take an alternate commentary stream with Goldie and... poo poo I dunno some rotating cast of fighters you want to try out on the desk.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Bring back Snoop and Urijah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bluedeanie posted:

Bring Back Mike Goldberg

He definitely wasn't the best, but he was enthusiastic

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Mekchu posted:

Also for anyone who doesn't know, there's a new Netflix Korean show called Physical 100.

It's a reality competition show where 100 male and female athletes, bodybuilders, models, etc. compete against each other in various physical tests in a sort of Squid Game inspired format where people get eliminated etc. Winner get's 300,000,000 Korean won (little under 250k USD).

Anyway Choo Sung-hoon, better known to use as Yoshihiro Akiyama, is on the show and this was what happened when he showed up. Keep in mind the rest of the contestants include Korean UDT/special forces people, members of the Korean olympic teams for wrestling, judo, etc. and they're all fanboying/fangirling over him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PILb0BnXk

I hope he made them introduce him as sexyama there too

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I hope he made them introduce him as sexyama there too

Probably not because that's based off his Japanese name (which I don't think he uses anymore? idk how that works) and he's more well known in Korea under his Korean name which, you know, makes more sense. I think at present he spends almost all his time in Korea cuz his youngest is in middle school here.

I mean keep in mind, he was also on a bunch of TV shows featuring him (and at times his family), as well as adverts, and doing commercials with his daughter for the past twoish decades (on top of being a top level judoka in Korea but bailing to represent Japan after some issues with racism/bullying on the Korean team).

Here is one said ad featuring him and his daughter Sarang (who in her own right was a minor celebrity because of "how cute she is")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mauDvgxiilI

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 31, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he's also a dirty fuckin cheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
He also sat there ominously while Stun Gun Kim murdered some kpop stars.