Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

He also sat there ominously while Stun Gun Kim murdered some kpop stars.

Who among us wouldn't want to watch as some tweeners with impeccable skin get beaten up by Stun Gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did some additional research on the cast for the show that include some MMA fighters and a pair of boxers. Most of the MMA guys you can skip honestly.

MMA cast members

Park Hyung-geun (5-4-2 in MMA) - 36 years old and mostly has only ever fought in ROAD FC

Yoo Sang-hoon (7-2 in MMA) - "The Korean Assassin" was seen on Contender Series in a losing effort back in 2019, then fought current (?) UFC fighter Andre Fialho in UAE Warriors. Mostly has been doing stuff in Angel's Fighting Championship which is a lower tier of Korean MMA than ROAD FC is.

Joo Dong-jo (4-0 in MMA) - Only has fought in Angel's Fighting Championship.

Kim Sang-wook (7-2 in MMA) - Also only has ever fought in AFC in Korea.

Shin Dong-guk (3-5 in MMA) - On top of doing MMA is also a firefighter and a former RoK Special Forces member. Has only fought in ROAD FC and was not very good!

Lee Dae-won (4-O in Kickboxing) - He's a Trot Singer (:confused:) who also has only ever fought in AFC and has the nickname "The Fighting Idol". Noticing a trend for Korean MMA?

Lee Ye-ji (4-6 in MMA) - Super young at 23 and had a slew of fights in ROAD that were, well, far too much for her. Her first fight, if Tapology is to be believed was against a 31-2-2 Japanese fighter when she was like 14 or 15?

Boxing cast members

Cho Hyun-mi (20-0-1 in Boxing) - Nicknamed "Defector Girl Boxer", she is the reigning WBA Women's Super Featherweight champion.

Shin Bo Mi-rae (13-1-3 in Boxing) - Also a super featherweight boxer who said she wants to be the one to beat Cho Hyun-mi in the ring. Also they had a competition against each other in episode 2 where apparently she isn't just learning boxing moves!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mekchu posted:

Lee Ye-ji (4-6 in MMA) - Super young at 23 and had a slew of fights in ROAD that were, well, far too much for her. Her first fight, if Tapology is to be believed was against a 31-2-2 Japanese fighter when she was like 14 or 15?

oh man, Shinashi and Hisae Watanabe back to back as your first and second ever pro fights is brutal

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LobsterMobster posted:

oh man, Shinashi and Hisae Watanabe back to back as your first and second ever pro fights is brutal

EAST ASIAN MMA!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mekchu posted:

Also for anyone who doesn't know, there's a new Netflix Korean show called Physical 100.

It's a reality competition show where 100 male and female athletes, bodybuilders, models, etc. compete against each other in various physical tests in a sort of Squid Game inspired format where people get eliminated etc. Winner get's 300,000,000 Korean won (little under 250k USD).

Anyway Choo Sung-hoon, better known to use as Yoshihiro Akiyama, is on the show and this was what happened when he showed up. Keep in mind the rest of the contestants include Korean UDT/special forces people, members of the Korean olympic teams for wrestling, judo, etc. and they're all fanboying/fangirling over him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PILb0BnXk

It took me a second to figure out it's him because i never knew (or at least remembered) him under his Korean name.
Then, all the gushing of Joe Rogan about sexyama really made sense.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mekchu posted:

Who among us wouldn't want to watch as some tweeners with impeccable skin get beaten up by Stun Gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSAO8op0ow

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
MMA February - Hydration Recovery Zone

https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1620471795139878913?t=TUmghzzbh8e-0i9pVzoBog&s=19

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I can't think of a better use of time and resources than to make the stools we can barely see worse to sit on for everyone in celebration of thirty years of too-comfortable stools

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

When I was a boy in the old country my grandfather would take me on his shoulders to the mma fights, and I would tug at his shirt collar and say "dear farfar, why do the men sit on round stools, why can they not put little corners on the stools" and he'd get real quiet and I could feel from his grip on my leg that he was fighting back tears. He was a proud man, too proud to have that talk with me. Well it's been decades now and, while he's long gone, I hope somewhere he's smiling, knowing that there's little corners on the stools. We finally did it, farfar.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Is this Amazon Prime or actually Prime the YouTuber energy drink spearheaded by the Paul brother that is not constantly making GBS threads on Dana, I'm confused

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

the drank

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do the fighters have to drink Prime in the PRIME Hydration Recovery Zones between Twitter Blue fisticuffs periods*?

*formerly known as "Rounds"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe they can start licensing out moves?

Winner via Comcast Choke - Islam Makhachev

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"Fighting out of the Blue PRIME Hydration Recovery Zone...."

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Remember when Dana took everyone's sponsors away for Reebok because he wanted to clean up the sport and make it look less like NASCAR? Good times

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

chaleski posted:

Remember when Dana took everyone's sponsors away for Reebok because he wanted to clean up the sport and make it look less like NASCAR? Good times

Now now that wasn't Dana, that was the Fertitta's because it would look good for pumping the price up as they planned to sell. Worked too and I still miss condom depot and dynamic fastener.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chaleski posted:

What could have been.

AndyElusive posted:

"Fighting out of the Condom Depot..."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Come take a Victory Ride with me

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

This slow-motion replay showing a dude get kicked in the nuts is brought to you by Dude Wipes

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Alpha Nail was the dumbest branding and set back that guys with nail polished are cool and getting your nails done is fun because they made it into a bro-thing.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Sweet sweat, the yellow liquid you drink, is still my favorite sponsor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Zyience

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor, GET STUNG!!!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lid posted:

Zyience

Jeez Louise, you missed the main point of their branding.
It's Xyience. DON'T ASK ME ABOUT THE I.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

kimbo305 posted:

Jeez Louise, you missed the main point of their branding.
It's Xyience. DON'T ASK ME ABOUT THE I.

I'm not even sure to this day what it is!

He'll back then one of the main sponsors was Muscle Pharm which just declared bankruptcy and I'm fairly sure was just a steroid front.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

CONDOM DEPOT

also miss the angry bad boy eyes on the asses on multiple fighters

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Apparently in old footage Praetorion is now blurred after being banned as a sponsor in 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I miss dynamic fastener

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Beyond Kickboxing posted the 2022 top 10 fights, with videos.
https://beyondkick.com/opinion/beyond-kickboxing-s-2022-fight-of-the-year-capitan-petchyindee-vs-hiroki-akimoto

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lid posted:

Apparently in old footage Praetorion is now blurred after being banned as a sponsor in 2013
What did they do to get a harsher treatment than the one that literally had “reich” in the name?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Octagon-shaped Cornerman Stool? Take that, wombats. :smug:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

What did they do to get a harsher treatment than the one that literally had “reich” in the name?

They used to (still do?) blur Affliction clothes because they did their own MMA promotion, I'm guessing they dared to oppose the UFC somehow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Joey McChrist posted:

CONDOM DEPOT

also miss the angry bad boy eyes on the asses on multiple fighters

I never knew what the eyes were advertising but they were great

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ilmucche posted:

I never knew what the eyes were advertising but they were great
Bad Boy. I think they still sell surf wear (which is where a lot of the old MMA / no-gi BJJ gear came from).

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Who's the fighter other than Gaetchie that has the bad boy logo tattooed on em?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Lid posted:

He also sat there ominously while Stun Gun Kim murdered some kpop stars.

Was that when stun gun slapped someone for talking poo poo or something?
That description also reminded me of that classic Yoel bit when Masvidal said he'd brought back up somewhere and the camera panned over to Yoel sitting in like a dark corner of the room looking terrifying.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nierbo posted:

Who's the fighter other than Gaetchie that has the bad boy logo tattooed on em?
I think Randleman had eyes on his back…?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Here's the full text/press release

quote:

UFC, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, and PRIME, the sports drink brand founded by Logan Paul and KSI, today announced a multi-year global marketing partnership that forges an alliance between one of the most popular sports in the world and the fastest-growing hydration company.

PRIME will become the Official Global Sports Drink of UFC, providing the largest new entrant into the beverage industry with a wide range of integrations into key UFC assets, including every UFC Pay-Per-View and Fight Night, highlighted by broadcast features and never-before-seen branding inside the world-famous Octagon. Through UFC’s far-reaching global footprint, PRIME will have significant brand visibility within an estimated 900 million TV households in 175 countries that receive UFC’s broadcasts.

In addition, UFC, Logan Paul, and KSI will collaborate on original content that will be distributed through their massively popular social media channels, including YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok. Collectively, UFC, Paul, and KSI reach nearly 400 million social media followers worldwide, which provides them with unparalleled engagement opportunities with their loyal fans.

“We’re excited to name PRIME the Official Sports Drink of UFC and an official partner of the UFC Performance Institute,” said UFC President Dana White. “Logan and KSI have worked hard to build PRIME into the best-tasting, hottest sports drink on the market. With their massive social media following and UFC’s global reach, we’re going to get the PRIME brand in front of hundreds of millions of fans all over the world. Whether you’re a professional athlete or if you just love working out, PRIME should be your first choice for a go-to sports drink.”

"I’ve been a fan of UFC for as long as I can remember, so having the opportunity to partner with them and amplify the PRIME brand is a check off the bucket list,” said Logan Paul, PRIME co-Founder. “Together, we are a global powerhouse and this collaboration is sure to extend far beyond the Octagon with an opportunity to give back in the process with the UFC Foundation."

“This partnership enables us to tap into UFC’s fan base and reach a massive global audience across multiple platforms, giving us the ability to flex our marketing muscles and prove we are a dominating force in the industry," continued PRIME co-Founder KSI.

BRANDED INTEGRATIONS AND ENTITLEMENTS

As UFC’s new Official Global Sports Drink Partner, PRIME’s visibility will be highlighted by unprecedented branding in the Octagon at all UFC Pay-Per-Views and Fight Nights, as well as at Dana White's Contender Series and The Ultimate Fighter. The new branding will include ownership of the Octagon’s well-known ‘Red’ and ‘Blue’ corners, which will be re-named PRIME Hydration Recovery Zones. PRIME’s corner branding will also be included on the newly launched Octagon-shaped Cornermen Stool, which UFC has developed to coincide with its 30th anniversary celebration campaign this year.

PRIME will also be named the exclusive Presenting Sponsor for all UFC Pay-Per-View weigh ins, providing PRIME key brand placement during the UFC fight week event that highlights the importance of proper hydration. UFC will also provide PRIME with branding opportunities within UFC’s state-of-the-art Performance Institutes in Las Vegas and Shanghai, as the beverage company will be named an Official Partner of UFC Performance Institute and will become the Presenting Sponsor of the Performance Institute’s Hydration Stations.

Finally, the new partnership will offer a unique, first-of-its-kind marketing activation, as PRIME will be named an inaugural Presenting Partner of the UFC Foundation, an officially recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. UFC and PRIME will strategically collaborate to develop a charitable youth program that will be administered in under-resourced communities.

PRIME will make its UFC debut around UFC 284: MAKHACHEV vs. VOLKANOVSKI, which takes place this Saturday, February 11, at RAC Arena in Perth, Australia. In the main event, UFC featherweight champion and No.1 Men’s Pound-for Pound, Alexander “The Great” Volkanovski will take on newly crowned UFC lightweight champion, Islam Makhachev in a five round championship bout.

With bold, thirst-quenching flavors to help refresh, replenish, and refuel, PRIME's goal is to create a drink that can fuel any lifestyle. Available in a range of flavours that include orange, grape, ice pop, blue raspberry, lemon lime and tropical punch, each drink comes with added nutritional benefits to compliment taste. PRIME has a coconut water base and boasts BCAA to aid muscle recovery, B vitamins, antioxidants, and electrolytes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shumagorath posted:

From what I can find they straight up didn't pay UFC for their logo in events and suggestions they weren't paying the fighters wearing their sponsorship either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaleski posted:

Thing is, the cage always looked like a NASCAR covered mess (a bit less than now). They just wanted a bigger cut of the sponsorship money and to prevent fighters from doing advertising of a brand on a card they weren't tied into.