Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

Featherweight Champion, 145 lbs
That shadow on his dome makes it look like someone faceswapped themselves onto Volk's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1610087087298039808

This whole OT discussion is what I crave.
Or is it on topic cuz striking is involved?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can't wait for Ariel to ask Dana to comment on that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

The mad lad actually did it!

This actually seems like a downgrade for his career. There were surely a couple more con job fights he could win and get paid on.
But certainly putting money where his mouth is on bringing up fighter pay.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was rich before he made his first youtube. Dude already had gently caress you money

Source? Not disputing it, just wanna see the amount.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/byajperez/status/1611400994880880641
Sadly, White Power Slap was not canceled. Just some scheduling goofs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Couple of random pics

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Never been more proud to be a UFC fan. Dana knows that him being punished would hurt others so he is proving how selfless and caring he is by refusing to be punished.

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1613267261027917829

Who’s asking, and did they suggest a massive fine, to be paid to the fighters?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I can hear exactly how Schiavello pronounces
Rodtang “The Iron Man” Jitmuangnon

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Chingiz missed hydration by .0049

How much water does that translate to? Seems like he has 0.5lbs of weight to work with to hydrate up?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, I just don't know how urine specific gravity is affected by drinking X amount of water if you weigh Y.
Like ounces in the case of missing by .005, or even more? I assume time is a factor.

I want a fighter to try to load water up in their foreskin to cheat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That guy who lucidly gave him props after getting dropped and battered in the fight has a hell of a chin and lack of ego.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder how far along it needs to be for them to have the graphics package handed over to the stadium. Is it sane ownership?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, I was on my phone and assumed it was a big jumbotron on the outside of the stadium, not a big physical banner.
Which makes this:
> I've been told the Gane vs. Jones T-Mobile graphic has been taken down, was a behind-the-scenes mistake.
that much more irrational if true -- they had the sign people take it down, only to put it back up later in the day? I'm sure the work contract could enforce that, but still, just let it slide. The narrative doesn't get any different to control, unless like Francis was still in a room with Dana after the sign went up, and he didn't want his head punched off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

MMA On Point put out a 30-minute history of kickboxing today and it's really, really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt2zQu4boZM

Neat. I think the point I'm getting from it is that, while Thailand has a better-than cottage industry nowadays of running camps for aspiring fighters to improve their Muay Thai, that there's always been a need in other countries for domestic kickboxing competition, and that the pioneers from those days ended up leading new waves of fighters to excel in striking in MMA.

I'm watching one of the other vids on this channel and just saw a great burn --
"Matt Hughes is often outshone by his more charistmatic peers"
*cut to shot of Josh Koscheck*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Never seen this clip of Strickland before.
The angels that sit on Cody Garbrandt’s shoulder would be saying “uh, no homo! No homo!” the whole time.

https://youtu.be/4meT1X7UpvE

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Already deleted, looks like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Who tf is making that unofficial recovery estimate?!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wonder if Moreno is gonna get swept up in the dragnet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yes, I know it's weird that he only bets on matches with Glory figthers, and it kinda sucks that he sometimes says we're gonna lose, but he's right! My mortgage!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ngannou trying to unionize by himself, props.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What is the composition of wrestling fans in terms of awareness of and sympathy for CTE? Iow, are they more or less disdainful about slapping vs the average (yuck) mma fan?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some new pro-Bolsonaro names in the linked video from the article.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Of the 23 people present in the video, Poder360 was able to identify 13. Of these, 10 are fighters (from left to right): Roycie Gracie, Fabrício Werdum, Popó, Rafael dos Anjos, Thiago Marreta, Maurício Shogun, José Aldo, Fábio Gurgel, Cris Cyborg and Wanderlei Silva.

The other 3 are the coach and founder of Alliance Jiu-Jitsu, Romero Jacaré; and businessmen Alexandre Correa and Tallis Gomes

I thought one was a really old looking Gleison Tibau.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10060947-ufc-legend-khabib-nurmagomedov-retires-as-mma-coach-to-focus-on-his-family

Curious how this will play out. Umar already made it seem like Khabib would be available to some degree bif everyone was training in Dagestan. Which makes sense in terms of travel and cornering time commitment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

power slap is dumber than you think. they decide who gets to go first via coin toss. so obviously the winner of the coin toss has a huge advantage and the second guy often never even gets a chance to retaliate.

But is Fightmetric tracking everything?

They should allow simultaneous opening slap. But then maybe let them duck? And hmm, maybe just let them move around on their feet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ilmucche posted:

can you just palm strike someone in the temple? does it have to hit the cheek?

If anything, tagging the chin will rotate the top of the head more and cause the brain to get that rational acceleration that helps along concussions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Warming to the idea of Dana White’s Ow My Balls but instead of striking the ruleset is slow, deliberate, homoerotic pinching

2 points if you say “no homo”
KO if you say “bro, stop!”

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

even just the single frame in the thumbnail makes me feel revolted.

I’m being serious here when I say that maybe you should take a hard look at being an MMA fan. The number of people involved in it and other combat sports far outweighs slap fighting, as do the number of fencing response highlight pictures from fights.
I assume that the slap fighters only train offense, so they also wouldn’t get the volume of subconcussive blows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

I think the objection is knocking out someone who is not allowed according to the rules to defend themselves in any way, not the injuries sustained.
It was a reaction to the picture of the effect of getting hit.
You’re not guaranteed to get KOed in MMA, but the numbers are high enough that having the ability wirin within the ruleset to defend against a KO strike doesn’t absolve the sport of a moral failing wrt safeguarding the participants.

Queering Wheel posted:

Even if you were a complete sociopath who didn't care about defenseless people getting hurt, it's just not that entertaining in and of itself.

You’re just wrong, bro. loving wrong
— Dana

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The statements "MMA causes concussions and that's bad" and "slap fighting is garbage and it's rational to feel worse about it" are neither mutually exclusive nor even remotely hypocritical in concert with one another
I’ll concede that maybe Jerusalem has the same reaction to any picture of someone in immediate TBI. And certainly lots of us react the same way when a fighter is laid out for minutes after a KO.

quote:

and it's weird to cite the number of people participating in combat sports vs slap fighting as a balancing factor when half the reason people are disgusted by slap fighting is the astroturfed attempt to push it into the mainstream and make it more popular.
My critique is of being able to enjoy fighting to the degree that I and others do — that our viewership has enabled a platform of legitimacy for the sport, and that then we have a much shorter horse from which to try to gatekeep slap fighting. Our pirated PPVs paid the abuser who’s trying to mainstream slap fighting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

ah but u participate in combat sporting; curious!

I’ve received a concussion in a kickboxing match, one that more or less spelled the end of my willingness to compete, and I still teach kickboxing now. I stew over the ethics a lot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

saying someone should rethink being an MMA fan because seeing someone knocked out in slap fighting grossed them out when they enjoy people getting knocked out in MMA, because the contexts of those knockouts, their respective abilities to defend against them and the sports in which they occurred are so drastically different.

I see this two ways:
From a sporting perspective, comparing the two rulesets (and I’m stooping to grant that term for slap fighting), yah, slapping is beneath contempt. Just idiotic. MMA has a vast array of techniques, strategies or lack thereof play out in infinite unexpected variety, the athleticism — that’s why we watch it.

From an “inevitably, you’re gonna get hurt from participating in this and you might not feel like it was with your labor” perspective, they’re much closer to each other than other sports without expected head contact. The deep visceral discomfort with seeing someone laid out like that — that can’t be canceled out by a more legitimate sport built on top of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol, real convenient litmus test.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Please don't take this as me starting poo poo I am genuinely interested to know if you can see a clear line between a brutal knock out in a sanctioned, established sport where both competitors are capable of defending themselves and white power slapping.

I don't. For one thing,

Fozzy The Bear posted:

e: the slap poo poo is sanctioned too by Nevada

in this age, absolutely no one will stop you from legally ruining yourself. As I said earlier, MMA's an established sport because there's enough bloodlust to support it.
To me, the line is not that clear.

CarlCX posted:

for the record, the 15-minute beating Lauren Murphy took bothers me an awful lot more than this did

Absolutely. Getting concussed is bad for your brain, but the training you have to do to get to a high level in a combat sport means you take a lot of hits to the head.
And the accumulation over years is likely more dangerous for you than, say, a one hit KO.
Getting caught with a punch out of nowhere doesn't have the same ethical burden on the corner when a fighter is getting rocked from bell to bell.
It's a two tier failure between the corner and the ref to let any overwhelmed fighter keep going. Comebacks are great and obviously a huge part of sports in general, but it's totally fine to have fewer of them for the sake of protecting the fighters more.

Glover should also have been pulled before the end. He had self awareness about it post-fight, but just not the mentality to actually quit himself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lucasar posted:

One interesting thing I remember a pro wrestler saying in an interview (I think it was Steve Austin): he said his body is all hosed up from being a wrestler, but that he has buddies who are in flooring, and their knees are ruined from spending so much of their lives down on their knees putting in linoleum. From his perspective he got a better deal as he made a lot more money and did something much more fun and fulfilling for him, and while it had a physical toll, so would a lot of the alternatives for him. I don't really agree with that exactly, but it's worth remembering that a lot of fighters probably would. Many of them come from working class backgrounds and may have found themselves in laboring jobs if not for MMA. They run the math and consider that they would rather their body be put at risk doing something like fighting rather than slowly grinding it down for wages.

I understand the rationale (and tragedy) of trading your bodily condition / health for money, but CTE is a different case for me. It's super scary to be precipice of painkiller addiction for when your joints are destroyed, but it's another to have your personality and ability to think erode around inside your head.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e: just posted!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

chaleski posted:

I'm sure Dana tried to find a way to make them do it for free

5k for the winner instead of 4k+2k.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jon Jones has 5 weeks to restore balance to the force. I have the DC smirking and shaking his head gif ready and locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's fine to have fun with Jiri's promo work, but I think Hill's wins in the past couple years is above average for LHW to justify a title shot, even if it's for a vacated belt this time.