Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Spaced God posted:

Lobster and Carl and everyone else who puts so much loving effort into writing so many words about people punching each other for an internet forum are forever the goats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

BlindSite posted:

Why when anything happens does everyone rush to reddit and twitter for the worst takes and then post those worst takes.

Yeah I'm wondering about that myself, ya'll are just making yourself (and your fellow posters here) angry for no loving reason.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

incredible

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

moctopus posted:

Maybe he's just saying he's still the champion.

Well as much as I wanna talk poo poo about jones he is probably capable of beating the current LHW champion. Holy poo poo I didn't realize it's been almost 3 full years since he last fought, gently caress.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Boco_T posted:

who knows if ONE will thumb the scale or not

Serious question, don't the always?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

lmao I love how prior to landing it he's just sprinting full speed with that same hook at him

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Don't write about paul until he actually fights a real opponent (he won't)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
pet week is wonderful

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

DeimosRising posted:

Oh are the bkfc guys getting paid now

If you mean getting paid well, then I'm not sure, but if you mean getting paid at all, it was the other bareknuckle org that wasn't paying them, it hasn't existed at all for a while.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

They aren’t.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/2/23/22946591/triller-acquires-majority-stake-in-bare-knuckle-fighting-championship

https://trillerinc.com/bare-knuckle-fighting-championship/

Unless of course you're intentionally using a double negative and answering the question as-asked, in which case, yes, they aren't not owned by Triller.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

COPE 27 posted:

Who famously don't have trouble paying people on time

Yeah it's probably just a matter of time until fighters start not getting paid, but who knows, so far so good? :shrug:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I can at least appreciate what ONE is doing in terms of having their own set of young prospects who might one day end up on the level of UFC fighters, though they're shooting themselves in the foot by constantly lying about everything, but Bellator and PFL are never gonna compete for top dog while their business model is paying lots of money to over the hill UFC fighters (and now jake paul? lmao) for their name recognition.

Google Butt posted:

the last good fight was Conor vs Diaz 1

It's okay not to enjoy MMA, but if you enjoy MMA, lol.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

I think you’re confusing complaining about virtue signaling with actually thinking something is okay. This thread has a bad habit off going through cycles where everyone has to announce that mma, the sport we all watch and are here to discuss, is evil, which is basically the definition of virus signaling. Now we’re going on for several pages about how slap fighting is bad and dumb (it is), and it’s getting tiresome.

Ok but if that's what you feel a problem is, the solution to that isn't posting about posting, it's actually coming up with another subject to talk about. There's an actual ufc card tonight that starts in like 2 hours, say something about it.

Any guesses as to how Vacant will keep their belt tonight?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCFfVhx4PRw lmao

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I'm not even a little bit surprised.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CommonShore posted:

Like, adjunct professor positions pay better than that.

lmao what?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CommonShore posted:

Seriously I get paid better than that for my part time proverbially underpaid insecure teaching position, with no brain damage.

2/2 is effectively unpaid.

Yeah I'm not trying to defend the 2/2 thing, I was just confused by the oddly specific comparison (the context is apparently that that's your own job title(?)), since it seems pretty natural to assume someone with "professor" in their title should be paid way more. That being said, I think unless they "fight" (and win) like 10+ times a year literally any job even slightly above the federal minimum wage pays more, and most don't involve brain damage.

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 24, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Anyway as for actual fights, apparently this weekend's(there's no card this week) next weekend's UFC card despite being at the Apex has a 10 PM EST prelim start time, presumably because of the many Korean and Japanese fighters on the card, this was the card originally scheduled to take place in Korea that TKZ pulled out of, right?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
The Carla situation is a bit of an outlier because the first time was the creation of the belt and the second time was a fight where both fighters refused to actually fight, and to make it even weirder somehow both those fights were against the same opponent, she was still champ though. "Undisputed" is just a thing buffer says as part of the announcement, it never seemed like it meant anything to me.

When you're calling for a third party to handle rankings/titles you're not calling for a change to UFC, you're calling for a change to international MMA as a whole (and for it to be more like boxing), I'm not gonna put much thought in to whether or not it's a good idea because it just has exactly 0 chance of ever happening unless all the current MMA organizations dissolve or something, or maybe if an international fighter's union is actually formed, which in itself is also a longshot.

And yeah, this:

Lucasar posted:

If lineality is so important Jones is still champ at LHW anyways.

I guess I would understand the objection more if Jiri had been a longtime champ instead of a guy who was hot-shotted to the title in fewer fights than even Alex Pereira and has defended it zero times.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Marching Powder posted:

My understanding of the 'title' of lineal champ is that if the lineal champ retires undefeated or fucks his whole life up then the title is passed to the winner of a fight between the consensus number 1 and 2 in the division. Has that seriously not happened since Jones?

Ankalaev vs Blachowicz is probably the closest we would've gotten to that, but they fought to a split draw. If it's not the two of them, look at the LHW rankings and tell me who the consensus number 1 and 2 guys are, cuz I don't have a loving clue.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
The best LHW in the UFC is probably Stipe, if he was interested in cutting weight, though I suppose at 40 he probably wouldn't be able to anyway, I guess I mean like 5 years ago stipe.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 26, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

graph posted:

hopefully this is where i can put this

an old pal whos way more into combat sports linked this elsewhere

holy smokes look at this dude fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugZcskzxMmc&t=15s

good fight but holy gently caress the commentary is loving atrocious

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

kimbo305 posted:

Deleted? Can't get it to load.
update (including a screenshot of original tweet):
https://twitter.com/Scott_Fontana/status/1620035964675690499

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Mekchu posted:

Thing is, the cage always looked like a NASCAR covered mess (a bit less than now). They just wanted a bigger cut of the sponsorship money and to prevent fighters from doing advertising of a brand on a card they weren't tied into.

Yup, it was always a bullshit excuse.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ilmucche posted:

Is it? I hadn't noticed anything about it.

Didn't Paul just sign a big deal with one or whatever?

I...gently caress. I don't even want to admit that I know this, but the drink is Logan, the older one who seems to make the dumber decisions (you might recall the forest thing, that was him). Jake, the younger brother, signed to fight in PFL, though personally I maintain that he's never gonna get a real opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CommonShore posted:

Esther is MMA-important emeritus.

:hai: