Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Shumagorath posted:

No way am I paying $1 for anything the UFC puts out. loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

For those who don't want to watch the video:
Looks like Dana is holding her wrist, she gets free and slaps him. Dana strikes back several times.

Most of what I read made me believe it was just one simple slap each, no way.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CommonShore posted:

I'm going to be optimistic in the other way on a few points because I've been the guy predicting "Dana is out this year" for like 5 years:
  • Dana's bravado suggests insecurity, and he's certainly less valuable to the company than he wants everyone to believe
  • He has bad relationships with many stakeholders including regulatory bodies and fighters
  • It runs contra to the WMMA "empowerment" narrative to have a domestic abuser as their boss
  • We're not that far from the human cockfighting era, in fact I can think offhand of one current UFC fighter who fought in that era, and WME-IMG and Disney might not think too highly of their company with fragile PR being run by a documented wife beater

The UFC's PR and reputation is fragile, and there's no denying that this happened. It's plausible that Power Slap never airs (as it has already been the target of lots of serious critique) and Dana goes away to become the most divorced guy ever.

Most UFC fans are the scum of the earth and "she hit him first bro", nothing will happen to Dana, by the end of this week no one will be talking about this.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://tribunadelabahia.com.mx/extranjero-asesina-pareja-san-pancho-61372

e:
I've edited this serveral times, people are saying Phil Baroni killed his girlfriend? I hate posting rumors.

ee: yeah mma media guy deleted his tweet. ignore this

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 4, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/wolajustowska/status/1610400223263690761

sort of looks like him

2023... wow, its only day 3

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Shumagorath posted:

CBC News picked up Dana’s Wife Power Slap, and the last time they paid attention to MMA was Elias Theodorou’s death. Hopefully that’s an indication the story has enough reach and staying power to nudge Dana into retirement.

At most Dana will disapear for 6-12 months.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Ariel said on his show that there are "whispers" that Bellator might be looking to be sold. A Bellator/One combo would be pretty cool.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CommonShore posted:

Do your year end awards votes you dorks. Even if you only spend 5 minutes putting in the first thing that comes to mind and leaving things blank, do that.

Please.

It all seems like the same thing:

Fighter of the Year
Favorite Fighter
Breakout Fighter
Most Improved

Fight of the Year
Round of the Year
Performance of the Year

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm super lazy, maybe you could make the form a multiple choice type form?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Trillhouse posted:

an adult woman is beating up a child on my tv rn

Turn on your tv

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1614369557669347332

Very cool if true. Gane better learn how to defend a takedown.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I thought Jon Jones was a sport killer and will never headline a PPV ever again?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Snowman_McK posted:

I would say that the baseline level of actual fights is loving excellent ATM. I've lost count of the number of genuinely excellent fights that, a few years ago, would have been championship bouts but now are featured prelims or just a prelim. The level of talent and ability has simply skyrocketed. It's also true that by a large number of metrics, it's a loving awful, carny sport that is going backwards. The UFC had medical insurance for everyone like ten years ago. I'm pretty sure it was 2012 or so that a huge number of fights got cancelled by fighters getting treatment for long term injuries that happened 'in camp' because the insurance meant they could finally afford it. Also, we used to have our concerns about fighter pay assuaged by court cases where the UFC showed that, actually, they'd paid Rampage or Randy insane amounts of money, now it's some dipshit like Jake Matthews going 'actually, I can afford two cars and a house so everything is fine' or Terrence McKinney, whoever the gently caress that is, calling everyone with concerns ignorant. Or just blithe assurances that Conor made everyone better paid, when you can see that he didn't even necessarily get his opponents better paid (his fight with Cowboy was Cowboy's least well paid fight that year)

It's a land of contrasts but goddamn does it need an overhaul.

From what I understand, UFC's medical insurance only covers injuries you get DURING a fight. It was one reason people were accepting fights with broken knees or whatever, they were trying to hide it, so that they could later claim they got injured in the fight.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/SecondsOutLive/status/1616878970804338690

Never going to happen, but funny.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

bring back Pride

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Marching Powder posted:

Please don't take this as me starting poo poo I am genuinely interested to know if you can see a clear line between a brutal knock out in a sanctioned, established sport where both competitors are capable of defending themselves and white power slapping.

To be fair, UFC isn't a sport.

e: the slap poo poo is sanctioned too by Nevada

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

UFC is like watching high level Starcraft, slap fighting is like watching your 8 year old play checkers. But both with brain damage.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Shumagorath posted:

Is Anderson-Forrest Boxer's 12-Carrier Lockdown?

Anderson (in his prime) was Flash :laugh:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Slap fighting is dumb as hell, but I've watched Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama 20 times at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1iHdAQTPPY&t=44s

e: what I'm trying to say is I'm a dirty degenerate, but even I won't watch slap fighting.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 22, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/antontabuena/status/1617213368762503168

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/RiniMMA/status/1617445058625544193

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t watch anything ufc live anymore and just catch finishes the next day from alternative sources. I’m so soured by dana white’s horseshit that I’m struggling even to do that.

I'm pretty close to that. I watch about 4-6 events a year. This last event crowned a new LHW champion, and it was my first time watching him fight.

I am able to separate the art from the artist, so to speak. The UFC has just done a horrible job creating new stars that I care about, that and the fact that I know these guys aren't getting paid jack poo poo.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Lid posted:

gently caress around: oh man I'm going to be such a warrior refusing to tap out to this submission

Find out:
https://twitter.com/ACLrecoveryCLUB/status/1616868297412349952?t=vgVZpiSMGWrupMbZN_8ccg&s=19

WHAT THE gently caress, dude tap, you need to tap!!!!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cn15g80PhHb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Ok, that was a little funny. The belt-holder responding to Jiri.

e: I'm not going to call him champion, because he's not. he's just a belt-holder

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 25, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Hill's wins are legit, I'm just saying he shouldn't be called "undisputed champion" when in fact he never fought the previous champion, or the champion of Bellator (who has a serious argument for being higher ranked p4p than Hill)

Hill is a title holder.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Just like the winner of Jones vs Gane won't be champion, they will be a title holder.

Its becoming boxing.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Lucasar posted:

It will soon have to be called the UFTH I guess.

To be real though, Jiri's claim to being champion was beating Glover. Hill did the exact same thing, and his performance against Glover was equally impressive. He didn't finish Glover, but he also didn't take as much damage as Jiri had.

Jiri has never fought nor beaten Hill, and what is more Jiri deliberately relinquished his claim to being champion. Hill is the champion by every reasonable standard except some notion that lineality is the most important factor in a championship.

Corey Anderson has a win over Glover and Vadim Nemkov beat Anderson so....

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

You can't just pick two guys, one who had the belt recently in the past, and call the winner Undisputed Champion.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm getting CTE from reading this page

We need a third party to handle titles and rankings!!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CarlCX posted:

Realistically, Jon Jones hosed the 205-pound title lineage so bad that there hasn't been a 'real' champion since he held it, so you kind of just need to accept it and reset the clock anyway.

I'd say it was the combo of Jones moving up, and a few top 10 lhws leaving the UFC. We now have more than one "real" belt that are legit. Just like with Strikeforce or Pride, when they combined with the UFC we got to see who the REAL champ was.

At heavyweight, no matter how impressive Jones (or Gane I guess) looks at heavyweight, he's not the "real" champion until he beats Ngannou

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm not even talking about lineal champ. I'm saying, when you look at 205lb MMA fighters, who is the best? You can't 100% say its the UFC champion because Bellator's champ has a legit argument that he is better.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'd say it was the combo of Jones moving up, and a few top 10 lhws leaving the UFC.

Also fighter winning the belt then giving it up hurts the legitimacy of the belt too.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 26, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Oh and for those who don't follow boxing, you aren't called "Undisputed Champion" unless you hold all four major belts. I'd call Bellator's LHW a legit belt at this point, so there would be two major LHW belts. Also whereever Ngannou ends up would be a legit heavyweight belt, so again, two legit major belts.

When someone releases their title/belt, I think they make the top 4 (?) fighters complete to become new champ. At least that is what they did when Canelo moved up.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I really enjoyed debating the potential Pride/UFC fighter crossovers back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

FishBowlRobot posted:

I’m struggling to think of something more embarrassing in the MMA space.

Loosing to Tito Ortiz in the year 2011.... Ryan Bader