Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Fozzy The Bear posted:

For those who don't want to watch the video:
Looks like Dana is holding her wrist, she gets free and slaps him. Dana strikes back several times.

Most of what I read made me believe it was just one simple slap each, no way.

Yeah, the discrepancy between the video and how it’s being described is weird. He definitely slaps her twice and then pushes her in the face. At that point it gets very hard to see what’s going on, but it looks like she falls back and it almost looks like he throws one or two full-on punches before they’re broken up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CommonShore posted:

I'm going to be optimistic in the other way on a few points because I've been the guy predicting "Dana is out this year" for like 5 years:
  • Dana's bravado suggests insecurity, and he's certainly less valuable to the company than he wants everyone to believe
  • He has bad relationships with many stakeholders including regulatory bodies and fighters
  • It runs contra to the WMMA "empowerment" narrative to have a domestic abuser as their boss
  • We're not that far from the human cockfighting era, in fact I can think offhand of one current UFC fighter who fought in that era, and WME-IMG and Disney might not think too highly of their company with fragile PR being run by a documented wife beater

The UFC's PR and reputation is fragile, and there's no denying that this happened. It's plausible that Power Slap never airs (as it has already been the target of lots of serious critique) and Dana goes away to become the most divorced guy ever.

Actually, precisely nothing will happen about this.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1610087087298039808

This whole OT discussion is what I crave.
Or is it on topic cuz striking is involved?

Tbh men being able to hit women who hit them first has become an opinion on Reddit that’s basically universally popular, and Redditors will pile on with comments supporting the man in any situation like that. It’s not just a UFC fan thing.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Aye Doc posted:

Dana white will not disappear at all because nobody in the ufc will care about this

This is correct. I personally will continue to watch dodgy streams of men beating the crap out of eachother.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
In only the most tangentially related news, former mma fighter Dillon Danis had backed out of his fight with KSI, apparently because he couldn’t make weight and hadn’t prepared.

That may just be the last we hear of him tbh.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Would be very cool if Jones or Ngannou or Stipe actually fight again.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Dana said some stuff: https://sports.yahoo.com/dana-white-francis-ngannou-rejected-143034354.html

Dana White posted:

[Ngannou] feels he’s in a good position where he can fight lesser opponents and make more money. So we’re going to let him do that.

Now I’m no expert but I think that there may be a serious flaw in the UFC’s business plan when that’s an option for the heavyweight champion.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Seems like palm(heel) striking them in the side of the jaw is exactly what they're doing. It's only a "slap" in that it's open handed as far as I can see.

I haven’t actually watched Dana’s CTE League, but that is generally what these slap leagues are. It’s basically just seeing how hard two people can hit eachother without closing their fist or bending their elbow. The answer is “very.”

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

I’m being serious here when I say that maybe you should take a hard look at being an MMA fan. The number of people involved in it and other combat sports far outweighs slap fighting, as do the number of fencing response highlight pictures from fights.
I assume that the slap fighters only train offense, so they also wouldn’t get the volume of subconcussive blows.

You shouldn’t confuse the virtue signaling itt for genuine feelings people will act on.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

Also, I think the concept of critiquing "virtue signaling" is already inherently silly but it feels real, real weird to accuse people of it re: being grossed out by slap fighting, which is objectively gross.

I think you’re confusing complaining about virtue signaling with actually thinking something is okay. This thread has a bad habit off going through cycles where everyone has to announce that mma, the sport we all watch and are here to discuss, is evil, which is basically the definition of virus signaling. Now we’re going on for several pages about how slap fighting is bad and dumb (it is), and it’s getting tiresome.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

Words about championship competition.

In addition to the matchmaking being terrible and the endless rematches wrecking the divisions, I think we’re also at the point where fighter pay is really affecting the UFC’s product. Aside from the guys we know we’re sitting out due to money issues, it generally seems like big name fighters aren’t in any rush to fight. But I guess Dana is fine with squeezing the sport for all it’s worth before it crashes and he retires to beat his wife out of the public eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
God immediately after we’re all complaining about immediate rematches we get Adesanya Perreira 2:doh: