Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to be optimistic in the other way on a few points because I've been the guy predicting "Dana is out this year" for like 5 years:
  • Dana's bravado suggests insecurity, and he's certainly less valuable to the company than he wants everyone to believe
  • He has bad relationships with many stakeholders including regulatory bodies and fighters
  • It runs contra to the WMMA "empowerment" narrative to have a domestic abuser as their boss
  • We're not that far from the human cockfighting era, in fact I can think offhand of one current UFC fighter who fought in that era, and WME-IMG and Disney might not think too highly of their company with fragile PR being run by a documented wife beater

The UFC's PR and reputation is fragile, and there's no denying that this happened. It's plausible that Power Slap never airs (as it has already been the target of lots of serious critique) and Dana goes away to become the most divorced guy ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey I know that he might get away with just a shrug, but I prefer not to embrace the despair and instead to think about what the optimistic scenarios will look like

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just in case anyone is unclear about this, and I'm not calling out anyone in particular

He has her wrist at the beginning of the clip. She's trying to get away and he's restraining her. That is an attack and Dana initiated it. Even if someone is disgusting enough to argue that it's ok for him to hit her "if she started it", she did not start it. When I help to teach women's self defense classes, "some dude is grabbing your wrist and isn't letting you leave" is literally the first lesson, and we teach the women to be far meaner than to use a mere slap.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do your year end awards votes you dorks. Even if you only spend 5 minutes putting in the first thing that comes to mind and leaving things blank, do that.

Please.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It all seems like the same thing:

Fighter of the Year
Favorite Fighter
Breakout Fighter
Most Improved

Fight of the Year
Round of the Year
Performance of the Year

Well which is a problem, but fill it out best you can, leave blanks if you want.

I was just suggesting to LM that we discuss condensing the form to reduce the burden a bit in filling out the ballot, maybe by limiting the number of categories to something like (quick rough draft)

PSP's favourite fighter
Best performing fighter of the year
Fight of the year
Knockout of the year
Submission of the year
Coolest thing of the year (combines performance, round, game plan, most improved)
Upset of the year
Comedy in MMA (including fouls and schaudenfreude and dumb career move)
Bad officials (combines reffing and judging)
Worst promotion effort (includes booking, social media presence, trash talk,)
Overhyped/underperformed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hahmmmmmmmmmm both

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

I found it hilarious that the commentators during Strickland's last fight said how he was the opposite of explosive. Not every fighter is Yoel Romero but 'the opposite of explosive'? Dang.

that just means he's white

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Diego can probably win a bad decision there

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

who do you suppose has an advantage in a boxing match, the guy who went 12 rounds with Charlo and Canelo or

Trout doesn't have a ton of stopping power and Diego has won lots of decisions where he spent the entire fight walking forward and getting punched in the head while winging haymakers wide of the target. It's basically his schtick.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

tesilential posted:

Fine Dana and pay the fighters (never gonna happen) or the gov can file criminal charges. Agree with him that UFC can’t really punish him other than to fire him.

what's the downside of firing him then

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's even in his name "Rod" + "tang." His hydration is always so low so he doesn't rust.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh no. drat. I really wanted... to watch... Pricilla vs... Sijara. That would have been... a fight. I guess I'll have to content myself with the show starting 30 minutes later.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remember that Francis could probably pull 8 figures for a fight against a post-prime boxer like Chisora and probably 7 for fighting a fringe-top-100 heavyweight. The MMA orgs will need to match that type of pay to difficulty of opponent ratio, and I just don't see them doing that, at least not without Francis doing a bankruptcy tour of a bunch. Even the PFL tournament would be more work for less pay than KOing some bum on a Jake Paul card.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

Shogun has stated multiple times this is his retirement from the sport. Whether that means he's actually retiring or he's going to go get paid $100,000 to fight Chackle Van Hess in the main event of BKFC 17: Fist My Mouth, I cannot say.

No the event isn't that one. BKFC has had more events than that. It's not "BKFC 17" it's like Pride Bushido series: "BKFC Fist My Mouth #17"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

She also has a great hat and a really fun skill set (I like aggressive, submission-hunting top grapplers)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't forget that Figgy was spreading social media posts inciting the Jan 8 insurrection, and that Moreno has a Mexican folk ballad about him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the only upside is that we know that nobody who agreed to do it could have been that smart in the first place.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Angry_Ed posted:

It's so stupid they might as well just do groin kicks and name it "Dana White's 'Ow my Balls' League"

I'd watch that at least once

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dana needs to look back to golden age Nickelodeon or You Can't Do that on Television and get the UFC fighters we hate involved

Welcome back to Dana White's Ow My Balls Ultimate Kids Challenge! I'm your host Kyle from the Nelk Boys and our next contestant today is Jayden! Tell me about yourself Jayden!

-My name is Jayden and I'm ten years old and I like minecraft!

-How about that folks! Who doesn't like minecraft! Anyway, Uncle Dana got your letter Jayden about your favourite UFC fighter and...

-Max is here? Oh my god oh my god!

-Not so fast! We have someone else who we need you to meet first. Now you know how this works! If you win the challenge you'll get your grand prize of getting to play Minecraft with Max Holloway and little Max. So lets meet your challenge!

Sean Strickland emerges from behind the curtain, smiling uncannily

-Ok Jayden remember the rules you g...[/i]

While Strickland is still trying to get his bearings on the stage Jayden rushes over and hoofs Sean Strickland in the balls and he doubles over

Strickland: augh my balls!

Kyle: Wow Jayden! You're an eager one there! But yes, you made Strickland say the magic words so you're a winner! You're going to go play Minecraft with Max Holloway and Little Max!

lights flash and sirens wail as Max Holloway and Little Max emerge from the back to celebrate with Jayden; green slime pours down onto a retching and coughing Sean Strickland

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wasn't it a reality show? How long are they in there?

And how many bouts can they do in a period? Like, adjunct professor positions pay better than that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

lmao what?

Seriously I get paid better than that for my part time proverbially underpaid insecure teaching position, with no brain damage.

2/2 is effectively unpaid.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Yeah I'm not trying to defend the 2/2 thing, I was just confused by the oddly specific comparison (the context is apparently that that's your own job title(?)), since it seems pretty natural to assume someone with "professor" in their title should be paid way more. That being said, I think unless they "fight" (and win) like 10+ times a year literally any job even slightly above the federal minimum wage pays more, and most don't involve brain damage.

Oh yeah adjunct/temporary profs like me don't get paid poo poo. It's a thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nystral posted:

Is it some kind of institutional hazing? Or somehow you need to pay your dues? I never got why an adjunct with say a 2 or 3 course load a semester wasn’t a FTE with benefits. But IME as an undergrad at a research institution attached to a university, they also had PHD students working 40 hrs a week on a grant funded project also have to teach courses as well. And they were the lucky ones?

I noped out of academia and into private sector shortly after graduating. Never understood why the adjuncts would stick around.

It's a way to pay people less and not give them benefits. At most places any adjunct who gets n courses gets all of those things, so nobody ever for any reason gets more than n-1. Most universities will cancel a course if all of the applicants are "maxed out" on courses (then they blame the faculty union).

In my case I stick around because I do it in addition to other projects, schemes and scams I have which are for the most part seasonally separate and don't conflict, and I've taught these courses so many times (some subjects I've taught literally 50 times) that I don't need to prep much. It's not my only means of support.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watch nearly every card, but that's because I don't go out on Saturday evenings much, and I'm the night owl in my house, so I really just hang out at my computer chipping away at whatever other project while I have the fights or whatever other event on a monitor.

Something that i realized today is that fight sports right now are so terrible at promoting that they keep doing these champ vs champ cards, and that I suspect is because they fired their marketing departments and just decide who gets title shots based on google trends. "drat the champ in the division below has like 4x the engagement than the guy who has won 7 fights in a row but is only on the prelims the cross-divisional shot makes the most sense."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is partly a culture problem in grappling because the ref should 1) be a black belt themselves 2) be impartial 3) be committed enough to the health of the participants that they can go
"Hahahaha nooooo nope nah uh" when they call the match and ignore the idiot's gracie-rear end complaints that they never tapped.

But even if you have 1 and 2 a LOT of people in grappling think it's fine to fight through broken arms and legs when you're going for the gold - they frequently speak about it like it's a virtue.

I'm not sure if the ref was empowered to stop the fight in that circumstance. Maybe not by rules, definitely not by customs and expectations. There should be room to call for a technical submission when there isn't a loss of consciousness or an obvious broken bone so we can protect the fighters from themselves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BE and MMAJunkie are the ones I read. MMA junkie is trash but they have a pretty steady feed of basic info without biting for fake stories.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kri kri posted:

Karim posts in here?

Love the guy. Karim doesn't do analysis. He does investigative journalism.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC February - a bum, but in a loveable way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Apparently Laura Sanko is going to be a commentator on the Lewis/Spivac card. Pretty cool! I don't know much about her except that she was a kickboxer I think. I do think they should have bumped Olivi up already, she rocks.

Laura has done commentary for DWCS and Invicta and she's without qualification a better commentator than most everyone the UFC ever puts on air. She fought for Invicta too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Felder, Fitzgerald, and sober Bisping are the only ones who I wouldn't immediately say are worse than Sanko. I'm tired of Anik. He's morphing into goldberg.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brand integration sucks poo poo and I try to make a point out of not buying from companies that poison what I'm looking at by doing it.

Eat that poo poo up with a spoon, market researchers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

In better news, PFL champ Larissa Pacheco says Bolsonaro is a genocidal poo poo head

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1620784175379783685?t=N6WATpUKsMLkMrTBY08tlw&s=19

:peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

also in good news, esther lin (all elbows) got her account back after it was hacked by nft dorks

i realize she isn't in the mma mediascape any more, but she has taken some incredible pictures, so this counts

Esther is MMA-important emeritus.