Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CommonShore posted:

that just means he's white

I could believe Strickland is implosive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

UFC MMA February: Poo-Rraa!!

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

kimbo305 posted:

in this age, absolutely no one will stop you from legally ruining yourself. As I said earlier, MMA's an established sport because there's enough bloodlust to support it.
To me, the line is not that clear.

Can't speak for the person who initially said that the slap league stuff makes them feel physically ill, but for me the difference context makes in a subjective response like that is gonna be pretty varied. Like, watching footage from a warzone in which somebody is seen to be shot in a firefight and falls is going to produce a different emotional response to watching somebody executed by firing squad. The damage is identical for argument's sake, but the context is quite plainly not. The line isn't clear ethically, like how much risk is acceptable for entertainment or sporting purposes, but I think the line for how an individual reacts is only ever going to be clear to that person.

I got a buddy who can watch all kinds of gruesome stuff as long as nobody's head gets chopped off. As soon as somebody is beheaded he gets super grossed out and uncomfortable. He recognizes it isn't proportional or sensible, but it is what it is.

But I also think your point is a fair one that if you have a strong emotional reaction to the damage being done in one context, it is worthwhile to re-examine your position on a similar amount of damage being done in another context.

One interesting thing I remember a pro wrestler saying in an interview (I think it was Steve Austin): he said his body is all hosed up from being a wrestler, but that he has buddies who are in flooring, and their knees are ruined from spending so much of their lives down on their knees putting in linoleum. From his perspective he got a better deal as he made a lot more money and did something much more fun and fulfilling for him, and while it had a physical toll, so would a lot of the alternatives for him. I don't really agree with that exactly, but it's worth remembering that a lot of fighters probably would. Many of them come from working class backgrounds and may have found themselves in laboring jobs if not for MMA. They run the math and consider that they would rather their body be put at risk doing something like fighting rather than slowly grinding it down for wages.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I watch near enough everything but I'm never watching it live which allows me to skip through all the filler between fights and also allows me not watch an entire card in one sitting if I find I'm not paying attention. It actually makes it a really great sport to follow as I can put on a few fights I missed before bed or while I'm on a lunch break or whatever. I miss out on GDTs and such, but I also am not really experiencing the burnout some here are describing.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
It will soon have to be called the UFTH I guess.

To be real though, Jiri's claim to being champion was beating Glover. Hill did the exact same thing, and his performance against Glover was equally impressive. He didn't finish Glover, but he also didn't take as much damage as Jiri had.

Jiri has never fought nor beaten Hill, and what is more Jiri deliberately relinquished his claim to being champion. Hill is the champion by every reasonable standard except some notion that lineality is the most important factor in a championship.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You can't just pick two guys, one who had the belt recently in the past, and call the winner Undisputed Champion.

You absolutely can do that. Hughes-GSP 1 at WW and Aldo-Edgar 2 at FW are both exactly the same situation - a voluntarily vacated belt being fought over by the preceding champion and a top contender.

If lineality is so important Jones is still champ at LHW anyways.

I guess I would understand the objection more if Jiri had been a longtime champ instead of a guy who was hot-shotted to the title in fewer fights than even Alex Pereira and has defended it zero times.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CarlCX posted:

We were talking about this on the discord and I just dunno, man. Some part of this is most definitely my fear of Masvidal being back in title contention yet again, but he was able to stave off Demian Maia for three rounds so I have trouble seeing Burns grapplefucking him like he has other folks, and Burns is definitely the more powerful striker but he also has trouble stopping himself from getting wild and brawly when he gets into it, and Masvidal has enough striking technique to make him pay if he gets undisciplined.

Also I know this is basically expected at this point and it would be silly to assume anything else, but it has to be noted once again, for being a company that used to pretend fighter behavior mattered, Jorge Masvidal assaulted a fellow UFC fighter on the street and injured him so badly that he has a loving trial date next month over it, and the UFC did not do a single thing to him except shut the gently caress up and book him in a likely title eliminator.

It's somehow even worse than that. After beating Magny, Burns called out Covington specifically. Covington is the fighter Masvidal assaulted, and is also coming off a victory over Masvidal, and yet it is Masvidal who gets the match-up. I know in reality it's possible Covington passed on an offer to fight Burns, but the optics are atrocious. Can't win in the cage? Just bushwhack the guy who beat you later on and we'll treat it as a W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I actually have grown to quite like Anik. He seems to be able to get along pretty well with everybody and seems to enjoy his job and he is always prepared. And I mostly don't even notice him which is an excellent quality in an commentator.

Cruz and Cormier drive me crazy. Rogan should never come back.

Felder and Fitzgerald are good. And Bisping is only good if he isn't paired with any other former fighters or Rogan.

What current fighters do people think would make good commentators in the future?

I feel like Angela Hill has a funny voice, a sense of humour about herself, and a ton of experience and that is a good combination.