Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRvevUShKQ

Another year, another 69 series of Drag Race (and other franchises). The eleganza never stops, the Drag Industrial Complex is still going strong, and another batch of Queens is going to be competing for our attention.

It’s wonderful, and tiring.

Welcome to the 2023 Drag Race and Drag Race-related discussion thread! Due to the amount of series released, we tend to focus on the main English Drag Race shows (US, Canada, UK, and Down Under plus Dragula) but all are welcome. Pull up a barstool, order a cocktail of your choice, pull out your singles, and enjoy!

First, an important note:

Standard SA spoiler rules are in effect. Once the episode is broadcast/released on their native platform then the discussion is fair game. Previews/teasers/etc. should be placed in spoiler bars and try to tag them to the related show when multiple editions are live at once. Keep track of when episodes are released so that the surprises aren’t ruined for you.

One new twist over the last couple of years is that there are shows (shows on WoW Presents Plus, Paramount Plus, or Shudder for example) that are streaming only so there’s not a “linear” broadcast. People will finish at different times, instead of the typical MTV airing.

In general, if you haven’t seen it yet and there are a lot of new messages… watch the episode before you check here.

Spoilers are out there, so be careful elsewhere if you want to stay pure. Avoid comment sessions, responses to social media posts, etc., because people will reveal more than you want to know. This is doubly true as we reach the Top Four of Season 15 because of the timing of the Finale taping.

If you like to know the spoilers, go crazy. Just don’t post them here! Kisses!

With that being said, let’s talk about last year!

THERE’S TOO MUCH DRAG

At this point, there’s no need to be a completionist when it comes to Drag on television. If one series doesn’t interest you, let it go and wait for the next one. You can always hang out and keep up with what is going on if others are watching.

THE YEAR OF NO ELIMINATIONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05I_zkVljyo&t=166s

Season 14 felt like a wonderful return to form for the show. The cast got along for the most part, but kudos to Daya Betty for taking the villain role and running with it. We got to meet such wonderful people as:
Kornbread "The Snack" Jeté – She gave us excellent confessional and excellent storyline until she was sidelined by injury. Not only did she win Miss Congeniality, but her post-show experience may also become the blueprint for Queens to escape the clutches of the typical WoW contract.
Maddy Morphosis – The first straight cis male on the show, Maddy was excellent at comedy but not good at the rest of the experience. If you look at the teaser video from above, most of that was due to Maddy. It’s unfortunate that they didn’t last until the Soap Opera challenge.
Kerri Colby – A stunning Queen whose experience helped multiple Queens in the cast come out as trans.

Unfortunately, the season just stalled out for a bit. There were four (4!) episodes where no one was eliminated, including letting five Queens into the finale. The first one was fine, the second one was an exclude to have a Lip Sync battle the following week, but at a certain point it was just too much.

It did give us this three-way battle, however, so I’m not completely mad at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfu4aZiRTtI

In the end, there were two Queens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-ZiG9COVQ

Lady Camden, who had a slow start but gained confidence through the competition starting with her performance in the “Daytona Wind” challenge and matching runway above, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpp0sOuQho

Willow Pill, drag daughter of Yvie Oddly, came to slay the competition. From her entrance look to her runways to the finale performance above, everything she did was fantastic. And in the end, she took the crown. Long may she reign!

PLEASE LET THIS BE THE NEW ALL-STARS FORMAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXV7MTm7YeI

All-Stars 7 was the long-rumored All Winners season and was a complete joy to watch. Instead of having the Queens eliminate each other, all eight Queens were able to compete the entire season. Instead, the winners of each challenge would win a Legendary Legends Star (Paige Brookes) and the top four Queens with the most Stars at the end would compete for the grand prize.

It wouldn’t be an All-Stars without intra-Queen competition, so they also added the ability for the winner of the week to be able to block another Queen from winning a Star the following week. This would be something that I’d want to put a bit of a control on if they do this again, as the Queens could easily Pagong the strongest competitor out of the competition.

Freed of the need to send someone home each week, the producers gave all the Queens a chance to shine. Jaida Essence Hall got a chance to show more of her personality, The Vivienne absolutely slayed in her first mainline series, and there was a wonderful running gag where it was rumored that there was a bonus if you were “blocked” which led to Raja being the last one to learn that it didn’t exist.

Because Producers are going to Produce, the final challenge made most of the previous scoring unimportant and you could also see the power of the editing in both lip sync competitions. Yes, I said both: They also had the remaining four Queens do an additional contest for their own prize which was nice.

In the end, the winner was Jinkx Monsoon (although by all accounts Monet X Change won the final LSFTC) and the Queen of She Done Already Had Herses was Raja.

While all indications are that All-Stars 8 is back to the previous format, I beg the producers to consider returning to this system in the future.

WE ARE NOT HERE TO JUDGE YOUR DRAG, WE ARE HERE TO ANNOUNCE THE WINNER VIA POWERPOINT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORlDZtOsHGU&t=7s

Dragula: Titans also gave us a long-anticipated “All-Stars” format, and the looks were sickening the overall season left something to be desired.

We were all excited after the first episode: The Monsters vote to eliminate people! Abhora was eliminated first! Through a trap door! The love triangle was juicy! Unfortunately, it just couldn’t sustain. The voting was abandoned after the first episode, the love triangle took up too much space, there was too much time devoted to drama vs the crafting of the costumes (which makes sense if most of the work was done already before the arrived), and while it was in doubt the winner was pretty well-foreshadowed.

And then there was the ending. The final challenge didn’t seem to be that special, no one got covered in blood, and there was no fanfare. It was just Victoria Elizabeth Black’s picture and a voice over by one of the Boulets.

I’m still excited for S5 this year, but I’m thankful for Koco Caine for ruling the entire season.

SUPPORT LOCAL DRAG

That’s it. Support your local Queens, not just the people on TV

Bring on 2023!

--

"We are not here to judge your drag. Drag is art, and art is subjective. What we are judging you on is your drag as it relates to this competition" – The Boulet Brothers

“I don’t want to see any loving H&M!” – RuPaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEMmIEqQIzE

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

What is RuPaul's Drag Race? I've never watched it.

RuPaul's Drag Race is a competitive reality show where Drag Queens compete in a series of challenges to prove that they have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent to be crowned the Next Drag Superstar and win a lot of money. Episodes are pretty typical for the format: The girls may complete in a mini-challenge that may gives the winner(s) some kind of advantage, a main challenge which can be anything from building costumes to acting to putting civilians in drag, and finally a runway show. The judges pick a winner, and then the Bottom Two queens battle it out in the Lip Sync... For Your Life! :nyd: Ru judges the LSFYL and the loser goes home.

We can nitpick the show, talk about how there are too many series each year, and how the overall experience is very cookie-cutter now but when it’s on it's a joy to watch. The important thing to keep in mind is that these girls are professional Drag Queens. They know (for the most part) how to speak, put on a show, throw shade, and give us the cutting one-liners in the confessionals that we expect. The best prize is to make it on the show as the exposure gives them a chance to make a living off of their art, and a chance at $100,000 doesn't hurt. Even being the first one kicked off (example: Miss Vangie) can work for you. We're not watching some teenager thinking that they can sing or model, in theory, these Queens have the goods necessary to make it on the show and the thick skin necessary to make it work.

Challenges include:
- Singing challenges, including the Rusical
- Designing/performing/failing at Choreography
- Dress construction
- Acting challenges
- Makeup challenges and Makeovers
- Excuses to show hot guys in underwear
- Etc.

The final in-studio challenge is typically writing/recording/performing individual verses for Ru song. Much more palatable than previous Ru-related challenges, and occasionally we get gold like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep1k7ZHi0mQ&t=180s
:allears:

The main Drag Race ends with a "live" finale where the remaining queens Lip Sync... For The Crown and while it's started to have diminishing returns I think it's better to have a final duel and "live" coronation in front of a crowd than a crowning away from public eyes. "Live".

When available, make sure you stay tuned for Untucked after the main episodes for that extra backstage drama.

The Judges

RuPaul Charles

The leader of the merry bunch, we thank Ru year after year for coming up with the tasty weekly confection that is RuPaul's Drag Race. What else is there to say?

Okay, let's be real. The winner of the show is picked by Ru. The person who is kicked off each week is picked by Ru. This is Ru's baby. It exists to give glory to Ru and help sell her albums (now on iTunes). You thought it was bad to ignore Tim Gunn? DON'T IGNORE RU.

Yes, Ru has been problematic at times. No one denies this, and she deserves to the called out when warranted (and the lack of openly trans queens on the show gets more maddening each season), but she has also helped to create this show that lets these Queens make a living doing Drag and has really influenced the culture. The show is great, Ru is great, and Ru says stupid things reasonably often. It's a contradiction wrapped in an Epstein Parker suit.

Fracking.

The rest of the main judges:

Michelle Visage

(That picture still is everything forever.)

Every once in a while I remember that Michelle wasn't an original judge on the show and I have to pause and collect my wits. The show started to take off once Michelle replaced Merle. Coincidence?

If Ru is the Mother, then Michelle is the stern Aunt. Michelle wants all of the queens to reach their potential, so she's willing to be harsh but it always comes from a place of live. She's been friends with RuPaul forever, co-hosted with Ru on her VH1 talk show, has been a more than welcome addition to the judging panel since the third season, and is the one who really goes on the road with the queens to help push the brand. She's fabulous.

Carson Kressley

https://twitter.com/dvvidmurray/status/858288639238909952

Carson's perfect for the show. Fashion advice, snarky comments, good play with the rest of the judges.

Ross Matthews

A Drag Race superfan, Ross came in a couple of times and guest judged and was so good that they brought him in to rotate the judges seat with Carson. He knows his stuff, he knows how to provide good reality TV, and his pun game is excellent. Plus, he's more than willing to disagree with Michelle.

TS Madison

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1604880810691420160

The Icon TS Madison is joining the Drag Race Judge family! She’s been an amazing judge during her performances (and also the subject of a winning Snatch Game impersonation), and I’m so excited for her to join full-time!

(And while not a regular judge, I’m also hoping that Nicole Byer gets her annual “Judge an episode while wearing an homage to an outfit from the previous season” run.)

The Pit Crew

Eye candy, props, set movers... you call them and they'll show up in their skivvies.

RACERS, START YOUR ENGINES AND MAY THE BEST DRAG QUEEN WIN!

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 1, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

LET'S MEET... OUR S15 QUEENS

(16 Queens? I'm already tired)

Amethyst - 27 - West Hartford, Connecticut

Anetra - 25 - Las Vegas, Nevada

Aura Mayari - 30 - Nashville, Tennessee

Irene Dubois - 29 - Seattle, Washington

Jax - 25 - Queens, New York

Loosey LaDuca - 32 - Ansonia, Connecticut

Luxx Noir London - 22 - East Orange, New Jersey

Malaysia Babydoll Foxx - 32 - Miami, Florida

Marcia Marcia Marcia - 25 - New York City, New York

Mistress Isabelle Brooks - 24 - Houston, Texas

Princess Poppy - 26 - San Francisco, California

Robin Fierce - 26 - Hartford, Connecticut

Salina EsTitties - 31 - Los Angeles, California

Sasha Colby - 37 - Los Angeles, California

Spice - 23 - Los Angeles, California

Sugar - 23 - Los Angeles, California

(yes, they're twins)

NEW SEASON LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 1, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Reserved in case we need it.

Team Sasha Colby

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Calling it now, Salina will be a Mo Heart-tier fan fav. Maybe even MC. Whatever the case, if there are a million Salina fans, I am one; if Salina has one fan, that is me, etc.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Going to arbitrarily pick one of the twins and be team her and demand the other one be sent home immediately

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
When do you think they will get the twins to lip sync against each other? It’s not a question of if, but when because they’d be stupid not to.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
They're gonna need at least 4 episodes to build up narrative tension about it, so no earlier than episode 5, but no later than episode 9 or it'll feel too obvious.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/drag_zilla/status/1602488815003860993

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I assume these are announced series, not necessarily series for this year because getting S16 this year would be a bit much (like it's not too much already lol).

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

thanks for the effortpost as usual. last year burned me out for the reasons elucidated in the OP. loved the winners but disliked the paths there, AS7 excepted. I'll tune to what my friends are watching but this year is the least excited for drag tv I've ever been

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

I assume these are announced series, not necessarily series for this year because getting S16 this year would be a bit much (like it's not too much already lol).

these are all reported as starting in 2023 i think?

https://inmagazine.ca/2022/12/heres-all-the-2023-editions-of-drag-race-that-are-on-the-way/

i think i'll just stick to the US and Down Under seasons this year, it's all a bit too much for me

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

alf_pogs posted:

these are all reported as starting in 2023 i think?

https://inmagazine.ca/2022/12/heres-all-the-2023-editions-of-drag-race-that-are-on-the-way/

i think i'll just stick to the US and Down Under seasons this year, it's all a bit too much for me

I’ll try watch : Down Under, Germany, UK, S15, All Stars and Canada. For the others I’ll try the premiere and hopefully I’ll have enough time.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

First five minutes are out: https://youtu.be/Nmx7JlGcyxM

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Refreshing to see them immediately throwing shade. Maybe Daya's run inspired some queens to be less filtered this season.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:derp: I ALMOST FORGOT TO SET MY DVR NOW THAT IT MOVED TO MTV :derp:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Hell yeah let's start this new thread and seasons goons

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Arianna’s entrance was extremely good, to me.

My wife and I have been so burned out on drag race that we took a break from AS7 until now (bless Jinkx Monsoon). Excited to pay attention to 1 (one) season and root for the PNW queen.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Ah, THAT is why the ep is over two hours

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Ok I do noooot like Sugar and Spice

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Is the straight the longest tenured member of the pit crew?

E: oh my god the shower cap

zelah fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 7, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

SPICE WAT

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

That is... A thing you can do

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Actual songs?

In our Talent Show?

In this Economy?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zelah posted:

Is the straight the longest tenured member of the pit crew?

Bryce has been around for a while. I kind of love him. His regular job is as an engineer, and he got into underwear modeling as a side gig, and then got cast on Drag Race. He seems to have a good sense of humor, and as we saw tonight, makes Ru laugh.

I stupidly forgot to watch the first 30 minutes. 16 queens is a lot to keep track of, but this is maybe the season with the largest number of good looking guys out of drag. Most of them are quite young though.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
drat i didnt realise bryce was straight

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

The jump rope was good

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Haven’t seen a Seattle death like this since Robbie Turner’s Uber driver.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

zelah posted:

NXJDBD dbdjdjdkkdd djdi ifkd s ejdidje e djxjnx

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

zelah posted:

Is this too long for a thread title

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Is this too long for a thread title

It cuts off at Turner's. Unfortunately.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

It cuts off at Turner's. Unfortunately.

What about mentioning something like all 30 seasons of drag on tv this year

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I like the untucked format where we see them before they enter the workroom

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I was not expecting that first elimination, but she did get a lot of screen time at least. First in, first mini-challenge win, first out, and first 16th place is some sort of record.

Also a very correct top 3 and winner.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 7, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

i can't stop watching anetra's performance please send help

I love that we got "this elimination is going to hurt" week one, vs filler queens falling out of the competition right away. The eliminated queen is ripe for a mid-season return or an All-Stars berth (or S16?), but the elim was deserved.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I may be easy to please but Marcia's talent made me lol

e: Holy poo poo Anetra :eyepop:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

THE PIT CREW WORE SHOES for a moment

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Havent seen the ep yet but the queen breaking wooden boards owns and is all over my twitter

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm gonna walk that loving duck

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Anetra is an icon and bringing such ballroom energy that I could have died. Duck walks are a loving nightmare to do and to do it seamlessly while changing her height and then showing off her Taekwondo? She understood the assignment so well.

It was illuminating to hear Sugar, Spice and Lux talking about how Drag culture has shifted a bit to online, especially for young queens. I can only imagine how getting to the age to start doing drag right in the middle of lockdown changed your perception of drag and how to get started. While I do respect where they are coming from, I also feel like it’s important to pass on historic drag culture to generations and it really showed when the twins thought that Mistress and Irene shading each other was legit hatred.

I’m curious to see if they explore the whole generational aspect of drag this season and seeing Mistress be shady while also helping the twins out with stuff like gluing down their wig is heartwarming. I dunno if we are getting the Bianca and Adore storyline again, but there’s a world where it could happen.