Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I couldn't stand Sugar and Spice, thought coming in with unglued wigs was majorly unprofessional, baby queen poo poo, but the proof is in the performing pudding: those queens know how to work it. I'm just going to tune out anytime they talk in the werkroom though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I think part of the reason I’m kinder on Sugar and Spice than other baby queens/huge social media queens is that from what we’ve seen so far, they have expressed and openness to learn and don’t think they have everything figured out. I got the impression that meeting other Drag queens is just as important to them as winning the competition. They don’t have contempt for any of the other queens and I feel like them asking if anyone knew them is more of a “please like me” than a “I’m better than all of you.”

I can’t tell if their ability to blow off very obvious shade towards them is them having thick skin or just not being aware of how hard queens like Selina were dressing them down. I was fully expecting to hate these two coming in but they have this harmless ditziness that makes me want to see them grow, maybe with the help of Mistress.

Do I want them to win? Hell no. Do I think they make good tv? Yes.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Big fan of this pit stop format with Bianca, Jinkx, and Bendela

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

zelah posted:

Is Jinkx drunk or high or both? It's pretty entertaining either way.

First episode was pretty good, but there's too many darn queens to remember them all!
Loved to see the pit crew wear boots for once.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I had Dela's tits in my face at a Hamburger Mary's a few years ago and that is still the highlight of my life.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
First of all, this season is stacked, second of all, I will never understand the queens that still think it's a good idea to do a comedy routine with no music when they only have a minute to work with. Jasmine Masters couldn't make it work, Derrick Barry couldn't make it work, Trinity K. Bonet couldn't make it work, Orion Story and Deja Skye couldn't make it work on the same season, and now we have Irene going "no seriously guys I have a good feeling about this"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The things the top 3 all did correctly for a talent show were:
  • Showcase technical skills
  • Add humor/personality
  • Do something unexpected
All three is best, but you can get by with 2 like Willow, Pangina, or Jimbo did if you knock it out of the park in those categories.

The funny thing is that you could technically categorize Anetra, Jax, and Marcia's numbers as lip syncs, like other forgettable acts.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ironic Twist posted:

First of all, this season is stacked, second of all, I will never understand the queens that still think it's a good idea to do a comedy routine with no music when they only have a minute to work with. Jasmine Masters couldn't make it work, Derrick Barry couldn't make it work, Trinity K. Bonet couldn't make it work, Orion Story and Deja Skye couldn't make it work on the same season, and now we have Irene going "no seriously guys I have a good feeling about this"

She did have music though, it was that easy breezy tutorial music you'll find on youtube. Unless the editors put that in.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Out of drag, the twins are def the Venture Brothers, right?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am enjoying this season so far, even though it's been only like 2 episodes but I really like the twins (Sugar and Spice). It was nice to see them help eachother out with make up. And also the brotherly thing "You packed! Find my wig!" or something like that. It's a nice change over the usual drama.

E: also how long until production makes them lip synch against eachother? You know that will happen.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 8, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I am enjoying this season so far, even though it's been only like 2 episodes but I really like the twins (Sugar and Spice). It was nice to see them help eachother out with make up. And also the brotherly thing "You packed! Find my wig!" or something like that. It's a nice change over the usual drama.

I'm liking them so far, but I kind of don't want them to win just because they are still so new to their drag careers. I don't want another coronation like Krystal Versace where Ru had decided during the first episode that she was going to get the crown no matter how poorly she performed

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

czg posted:

Is Jinkx drunk or high or both? It's pretty entertaining either way.

Agree! She's heavily medicated or something, because she's even more boozy middle-aged housewife than normal. She slurs a lot. Bianca was a great host moving poo poo along when she got a little too weird and Ben De La Creme helped too.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Havent watched part 2 yet but the ad breaks are super noticable with how they repeat the few seconds from before the break now. Its not a huge deal but its been so long since ive seen a show do that i completely forgot it was a thing

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

zelah posted:

Could I have a link to this? is it on youtube, or something else?

E: I found it on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppS0og2KxSE

vvvvv: Thank you I just went around searching for it while kinda buzzed, took me longer than it should have lol.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 8, 2023

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Could I have a link to this? is it on youtube, or something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppS0og2KxSE

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Not all the way through it but I took a CBD gummy for the first time a couple days ago to see if it would help with the pain in my leg rather than taking aleve daily. And OMG, I thought those things were not supposed to get you high, I started slurring and had trouble walking and just kept giggling. I guess there was still some thc left in it. But my leg did not hurt.

Maybe that is what was happening to jinx?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Not all the way through it but I took a CBD gummy for the first time a couple days ago to see if it would help with the pain in my leg rather than taking aleve daily. And OMG, I thought those things were not supposed to get you high, I started slurring and had trouble walking and just kept giggling. I guess there was still some thc left in it. But my leg did not hurt.

Maybe that is what was happening to jinx?

I'm sure she partakes, but it's definitely the booze

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I thought she has been sober for a while? Maybe she fell off the wagon espcially after winning the money from All winners?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I've had "where'd my dingaling go?" stuck in my head all day and I'm not sure how to feel

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

This explains a lot -

https://twitter.com/JinkxMonsoon/status/1611835745953808384?s=20&t=FFM_AvYLqOB-vrwPcgpM0A

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Quack

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/SalinaEstitties/status/1611931437187633152?s=20

I did the SAME thing when I first saw her name in print. Just sounding it out. It felt good and I wasn't even drunk or high.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Now that Rupaul's Drag Race is on MTV does this mean we can get drag queens on The Challenge

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now that Drag Race is on MTV I can't watch the Pit Stop in Canada!!

Also I know it was probably mostly the nerves but I feel like Loosey got sabotaged with that mic.

Eej fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 8, 2023

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the sound mix was pretty brutal, her vocals were just right at the front and had the volume jacked. no idea if that's how it was when they filmed it but the mix sure didn't do her any favours

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Eej posted:

Now that Drag Race is on MTV I can't watch the Pit Stop in Canada!!

Also I know it was probably mostly the nerves but I feel like Loosey got sabotaged with that mic.

If you go to the RuPaul's Drag Race official Facebook page, it's posted there. (should I be making that known, in case they block that too?!)

Blocking it from various countries on Youtube is going to bite them in the rear end, or at least I hope it will.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

alf_pogs posted:

the sound mix was pretty brutal, her vocals were just right at the front and had the volume jacked. no idea if that's how it was when they filmed it but the mix sure didn't do her any favours

I feel like this has happened before with the sound crew and live vocals before. I could hear the mic capsule distorting, any good sound crew would have dialed that back the moment it became apparent

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Does being on MTV make it easier/cheaper for them to use non-Rupaul songs in the challenges? We normally only get them in the LSFYL, but maybe MTV still has a holdover deal from when they used to play videos.

baronmasochist
Jan 17, 2004

colors

Nemo posted:

Does being on MTV make it easier/cheaper for them to use non-Rupaul songs in the challenges? We normally only get them in the LSFYL, but maybe MTV still has a holdover deal from when they used to play videos.

Not sure it changes much since it's just moving between Viacom-owned channels. Talent shows in previous US seasons had non-roople songs: Willow Pill's number used Enya.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Really strong cast this season, should be good although it seems Sasha is basically a ringer. The twins are… well every reality competition eventually gets twins.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Jinkx Monsoon posted:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

watched the eps this afternoon over brunch and despite there being sixteen queens I felt like I had a decent sense of each (other than poppy and robin perhaps). props to the editing. early favourite is of course anetra, but ready to be happily surprised a few times over and glad that this season got right down to business and without any chocolate-tier twists. she won’t get very far because she lacks the self-awareness that top four queens usually possess but I like aura for giving me drag jason mendoza

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Jason Mendoza to hot lady pipeline, liberal future

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
If a queen pulled a Molotov cocktail out of her bra during a lip sync she’d probably win

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Aura's giving more Josh from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Sugar and Spice out of drag are giving me digitally deaged Norm McDonald.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Based purely on the talent show im hugely behind jax and anetra. Sashas runway was incredible and based on drama and talking heads i want the twins and mistress isabelle around for the longest (rip irene)

I would watch a home made edit where irene is around the whole time solely doing talking heads despite not being there

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

while we’re discussing giving I get strong neil cicierga shitposter realness from amethyst

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Spice > Sugar so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Was anyone else INCREDIBLY distracted by that weird blur filter on Ru's outfit? What the gently caress was that about? It was so jarring during judging when they switched between Ru and Ariana and Ru went from "out of focus vignette filter" to Ariana's "pixel perfect definition on each titty bauble"
Ariana being so present was a nice change from a lot of celebrity guests. No Lady Gaga for sure, but she at least knew what was happening unlike half of 'em.

jimmydalad posted:

It was illuminating to hear Sugar, Spice and Lux talking about how Drag culture has shifted a bit to online, especially for young queens. I can only imagine how getting to the age to start doing drag right in the middle of lockdown changed your perception of drag and how to get started.

This honestly caught me off guard. For queens growing up in a city like LA it seems wild to me that they only got into drag at 19 or whatever? Fake IDs and lying about your age and sneaking out seemed to be such a cornerstone of club culture that it makes them feel much more sheltered than they otherwise would have. Compare Sugar and Spice to Willam, who had a fake ID at age 14. Obviously that's not...ideal, and the pandemic certainly shifts things, but it's still really insane to me that someone can be a professional enough drag queen to get on this show with millions of followers built in, and have performed on a handful of stages.
I live in Rochester NY, and there are at least 2 queens who were on this show (Pandora Boxx, Darienne Lake) who I have never seen in person despite living within walking distance of their "regular" bar because I have to rely on the social media for the local gay bar, pride festival, disassociated pride account, local drag account, etc, instead of. Their social media. There is definitely a generation gap here, but the middle ground between "social media only" and "divine my performances from the smoke signals and phases of the moon" seems nonexistent.

Relatedly, to say that Spice's performance this episode was a shock would be an understatement, HOWEVER: Instagram queens (and now TikTok, all of the discussion of which made me feel like i was crumbling into dust, my drag name is Methuselah now i guess) have a major weakness that old hat stage queens do not, which is the ability to perform in an environment that they don't curate.
Aja caught flak for using facetune, and Sugar/Spice are gonna probably start suffering when they need to improv a performance. This challenge was given to them in advance, with enough time to set up props and a backing track. How are they gonna do in an acting challenge? Snatch Game? I'm impressed, but I still haven't seen them outside of the comfort zone of "short, viral-adjacent, curated video clip"

jimmydalad posted:

I think part of the reason I’m kinder on Sugar and Spice than other baby queens/huge social media queens is that from what we’ve seen so far, they have expressed and openness to learn and don’t think they have everything figured out. I got the impression that meeting other Drag queens is just as important to them as winning the competition. They don’t have contempt for any of the other queens and I feel like them asking if anyone knew them is more of a “please like me” than a “I’m better than all of you.”

I can’t tell if their ability to blow off very obvious shade towards them is them having thick skin or just not being aware of how hard queens like Selina were dressing them down. I was fully expecting to hate these two coming in but they have this harmless ditziness that makes me want to see them grow, maybe with the help of Mistress.

This is the other side to my incredulousness. They clearly love the art of drag and want to get better at it. They see this for what it is: a networking opportunity with marketing built in. If All Stars wasn't every year at this point I'd love to see what 3-4 years in the limelight doing tours with others would do for them, and have them come back as seasoned performers with the cash and exposure that a main season gives you.

alf_pogs posted:

I listen to podcasts for 40+ hours a week and I've heard some BRUTAL sound mixing on live events: This was absolutely a case of "we have this mic tuned for talking and not Belting A Song, you'll take this and whatever generic compressor we give you to make sure it doesn't peak." This is why she was safe when the critiques were so very negative. Each person's voice interacts with sound equipment differently and there's no way in hell they're gonna adjust it for you on episode 1 of a regular season. ESPECIALLY when you go loud like you do when singing. The notes were on point, the mic sabotaged it. That performance was thoroughly Safe, IMO.

alf_pogs posted:

Spice > Sugar so far

Based purely on the talent show? Yes. For sure. What the gently caress was she thinking with that shower cap.

MizuZero posted:

while we’re discussing giving I get strong neil cicierga shitposter realness from amethyst

She describes herself as a meme queen but didn't do this gif when the leaves were thrown at her during the mini challenge smh.