Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

gandlethorpe posted:

The twist in this season of CDR sounds really great. It's substantial in that it can actually potentially mess with producer shenanigans, and it should also make for juicy drama.

For reference: the maxi challenge winner each week gets to save one of the bottom three

Also, Kitten Kaboodle looking like that at 57 is mind-blowing. There are people in their 30s that look like her, maybe even 20s.

It's All Stars rules except the responsibility is split between judges and the winner, so there less bad feelings all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh. So some instagay. Ok.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Episode 2 of Glam Slam dropped today, with Jan and Loosey.

Not the pairing I expected when Luxx is also there, but it makes total sense. It was nice to see both of them just having fun instead of being pushed to their mental and emotional limit.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I turned 51 in August and tonight I get to use the present my wife got me: front row center for the Ben and Jinkx Christmas Show tonight and I'm very excited. Just wanted to share that with y'all

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
What an amazing and funny show. Sat right on front of Derrien Lake and they could not have been nicer.

Like I said, great show and never a dull moment. The video interstitial during the intermission was even great. At the end they said that they decided to downplay their traditional oppositional back and forth that they usually do because there is enough hate and division in the world as it is.

The question and answer afterwards was a mix of great stuff and fans being questionable. Like the last question which was basically "uhhhh, u said that this was the first time you incorporated a Fossey number but didn't you do one in 2019 with (whatever song/number he said)?" They handled it well and explained the difference and what they meant. And then Jinkx said, "also in this world we create with these characters in drag, we're allowed to forget things."

This was only the third live drag show I've been to and there was an annoying/way too loud fan at each one. Bianca shut it down immediately, Lattice had to deal with a fan trying to share their bad experiences at CVS while she was performing and last night two rows behind us was a woman who absolutely thought she was part of the show. It took DeLa and Jinkx two separate tribes addressing her before her friend next to her finally shut her up. I know that live artists have to deal with hecklers and assholes, but three for three shows, with major stars like these, just made me feel bad for what it must be like for smaller acts and what they have to put up with.

Anyway, that's my report. If you have a chance to see this show, you really should.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Same sort of "audience member wants to join in and is obnoxious" has happened to me in EVERY drag show I've been to. Besides Rocky Horror, where that's welcomed, I freaking hate it. I don't care if you cheer, clap, or hoot, but please don't mess around with everyone's vibe by nastily hollering at the queens who are just nice people doing their jobs and entertaining the masses. I swear, some people just want the spotlight for themselves or have weird parasocial relationships with stars.

Still, the evening you had looks epic. Love Darienne Lake, love Jinkx, love DeLa, love everything about this!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

i saw phantom of the paradise for the first time at a small theatre on friday as part of the drag me to the movies series (drag performances before a screening + bingo w/prizes) and there was a superfan in the row behind me saying who sang along to every song and said almost every line a half-second before it was said in the film. phantom has similar vibes to rocky horror so it was somewhat understandable but he was literally the only one doing it. like a quarter of the way through the movie I turned around to give him the passive-aggressive stinkeye and saw that he was wearing the helmet from the movie, so I let him rock. it was his space more than mine really

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's totally okay to tell people in a movie theatre to shut the gently caress up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dragula:

Am I the only one who thought this was a complete letdown? It was not a good idea to include that clip of Throb, I think it was, saying that the other group looked generic. One group looked like KISS, the other looked like KISS feat. prosthetics by Orkgotik.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Dragula:

I dunno, I thought Chaotik really looked like rock star demons and the other band (I don't even remember their name) looked like BAD makeup in the style of KISS. Anna Phylactic was right to go, but she was also right in that Fantasia Royale Gaga should have been in the bottom too. She directed the performance by letting them do their own thing, leading Niohuru X to fail spectacularly. She also approved that lovely styling theme. She either did nothing or gave nothing in terms of ideas for her team.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something that grinds my gears. Dragula has an issue of not being able to put a sharp delineation between who you are and who you portray on stage. You can't be an introvert who's polite and demure off-stage and wail on the stage floor, killing it with presence and evil. Apparently, you have to be obnoxious and loud on and off stage to be considered a true monster.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

dahli, victoria, and vander all suggest otherwise

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

panko posted:

dahli, victoria, and vander all suggest otherwise

Dahli never struck me as an introvert, since no one ever accused them of being shy. I'll give you Victoria though. I never saw Vander's season. Was it good?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I remember Biqtch Puddin being unpopular for the first two episodes and it being pretty smooth sailing after that. James Majesty was the, uh, very extroverted high-performing queen that season.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Pan Dulce posted:

Dahli never struck me as an introvert, since no one ever accused them of being shy. I'll give you Victoria though. I never saw Vander's season. Was it good?

the monsters are sickening but the production values are literally youtube tier

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Pan Dulce posted:

You...you don't know the absolute treasure that is Meatball?! :aaa: Remedy this immediately!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gvC3BlwYzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDRqANH4r40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1qokMuQdEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWArWzxbToU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Blackberri drumming should be a gif and a meme

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

You...you don't know the absolute treasure that is Meatball?! :aaa: Remedy this immediately!

Clips of Meatball's podcast with other drag queens who I don't recognize keep popping up on my instagram reels to the point where I was convinced that she was already on drag race and was eliminated early, to explain why I didn't remember her. The clips of her podcast are entertaining, but I skip most podcast clips on instagram. They're so prevalent, I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't have a podcast.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

#teamEighty (for those who listen to sloppy seconds)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just gonna leave this here (Kitten Kaboodle at 50)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwD-Y7lErMY

Meet the queens of season 16 is here. I usually don't think these videos do a very good job at introducing us to the queens.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Holy shiiiiiiiit, my small town has its very own drag queen on RPDR next season!! I’m so hype to support her!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Jan 5 start date. 14 Queens. And (inferred from the start of the video) we're getting two groups of seven to start.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Plasma's drag name and aesthetic seem very at odds with each other

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Nymphia Wind's entrance look and ... entrance are stirring the dead embers in my heart to watch another season of Drag Race.

edit: as a 40-something it's wild for me to see two queens now mention Sasha Velour's finale rose moment as something that pushed them towards doing drag. I know I'm old, thankyouverymuch, but I've always taken it for granted that people shared a similar RPDR roadmap, whether they came to it as kids or adults. I didn't even watch full seasons live until S5 so I've always felt like a baby ... there were literally toddlers at the time who now compete. drat!!

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 6, 2023

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Dragula: Man, some ROUGH looking looks tonight. The top three came correct, but Nio’s shoes killed her first place, as did Throb’s money gun malfunction.

The right person left though. Jay’s look was giving the alien from Toy Story with an Alabama accent. Super basic. I hated it.

Did anyone else think Fantasia glued those googly eyes under her own? Those looked SUPER cheap.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think the Boulets were looking for more actual sex appeal than sex comedy. Throb and Fantasia brought it.

I thought they were going to fall off. How do you put googly eyes on your faces and not on your boobs.Loved the fabric, though.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that was the most erotically-charged elimination on dragula to date. israel pulling his weight this season

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Dragula: I was living for Cynthia hanging out the entire time in her mask backstage/in the cauldron. I still laugh thinking about it.

panko posted:

that was the most erotically-charged elimination on dragula to date. israel pulling his weight this season

Yeah, that ruled.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's true, getting killed by your own anal scorpion tail xenomorph is a new standard for elimination skits. And it goes without saying that we all want Israel to put electrodes on us.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Latest episode of CDR is S2 or S9 reunion levels of drama mama. The Golden Beaver is working.

Say what you will about the past few episodes' challenge quality, these girls give good TV.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 8, 2023

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

CDR: That lipsynch absolutely had a clear winner, but clearly the producers want to keep this drama train rolling, and I'm here for it.

Kiki's dress: holy poo poo :allears:

I liked the premise of this design challenge; I can't stand it when they're given a bunch of random crap like plastic dustpans to make something with.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Season 16 MTQ standouts for me are:

Sapphira Cristal: she's a funny, opera-singin', MMA-fightin' gal and I like that.

Nyphia Wind: she's all the way on some other planet, and that rules.

Plane Jane: not in a good way, genuinely irked me. Here I go: Girl, you're not the first Russian speaker--Raven and Sasha Velour might want a word. It's like how the first significant whatevers to summit Everest are all taken, so you gotta be the first redheaded left-handed west-coast Canadian with stubby toes to summit Everest to make it seem meaningful. Secondly, sounded like she's jealous of Katya and that's about it. You're gonna fix the "we're all hookers" stereotype with a "we're all humorless" stereotype? Thanks gal, really building bridges. God I hope she doesn't make her entire RPDR tenure about that. (Am an actual Russian immigrant, not talking out of my rear end. I've heard the spy/hooker/mail order bride stereotype a billion times, there's no way you're so offended you did an entire drag career about it. )

That said, most of my MTQ forecasts have been completely wrong so who knows.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

plane is currently getting dragged by her peers for nonconsensually grabbing an audience member’s member while performing so expect a tersely-worded eating of crow to hit the runway soon

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Turns out there’s video of the Plane Jane incident and while it’s not great it’s not what she was accused of. Jay Kay has been walking it back.

Twitter thread with video:

https://x.com/bigxatlas/status/1732968995391766803?s=20

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

always expect someone named jay kay to go for that canned heat

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Wait wait, is this Jay Kay, the Dragula contestant, going off on Plane Jane?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Pan Dulce posted:

Wait wait, is this Jay Kay, the Dragula contestant, going off on Plane Jane?

Yes, Jay Kay and Dawn from S16 are besties.

Granted, I don't believe these two things are related! There's just more overlap with Dragula and RPDR than you may think. Erika Klash from Dragula and Rock M Sakura from RPDR are friends and used to do shows together, for example. Aiden Zhane from RPDR and Saint Lucia from Dragula are close friends, possibly drag siblings?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Uh uh. Nope. I am not officially required to care about Jay Kay anymore. I shan't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Uh uh. Nope. I am not officially required to care about Jay Kay anymore. I shan't.