Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Barnes & Noble is doing a sale right now where if you preorder a book on their website and use the coupon code PREORDER25 you can get 25% off the book, and it looks like most upcoming manga volumes are eligible. The sale ends on the 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s Tuesday! That means books were published today!

Here’s a list of books coming out this month

Some notable titles:

Today, February 7th:
My Hero Academia 33
Show-Ha Shoten 1 (the artist, Obata Takeshi, drew Death Note and Bakuman)
Tokyo Revengers Omnibus 7-8 (I don’t like it but it sells)

February 14th:
Komi Can’t Communicate 23
Parasyte Full Color Edition 2

February 21st:
Blue Lock 5 (Blue Lock has been selling real well, I think the first volume is already out of stock)
Villains Are Destined To Die 2 (it’s a Korean isekai series, available digitally on Tapas)

February 28th:
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 5 Volume 7

There’s a lot of less notable books I’m picking up this month, Drifting Dragons 12, Way of the Househusband 9, and Golden Kamuy 28 among them.

Unrelatedly, I found this pretty interesting

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/1623089487353122816?s=46&t=jIXXYdzXeIaTf2XRtoHjBA

Korean comics are a huge industry, yet remarkably under-discussed! Anecdotally, I know that teenage girls buy a lot of them at my store but most of my coworkers wouldn’t even be able to tell you what a webtoon even is

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Finally! Finally this is getting an English release I'm so drat excited :swoon: :swoon:

https://twitter.com/shojobeat/status/1621565015953113089?s=20&t=RlcAdSdgcJlBNPpPxMJqGw

and maybe nana will finally come out of hiatus :qq:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

A new Yazawa series? Ai like the sound of that :grin:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Landfill posted:

Finally! Finally this is getting an English release I'm so drat excited :swoon: :swoon:

https://twitter.com/shojobeat/status/1621565015953113089?s=20&t=RlcAdSdgcJlBNPpPxMJqGw

oh, sick.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Happy Landfill posted:

Nana’s also been getting reprints lately (and drat they need to print more, those things sell out fast)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Sleng Teng posted:

A new Yazawa series? Ai like the sound of that :grin:

Not new! This was the series that preceeded Paradise Kiss...PK is literally a sequel to Neighborhood Story and there's an editors note in the original translation saying, "read Neighborhood Story to find out more about this one-off character that only appears in this scene but is a minor character in NS!" You know...a manga that had no official english translation until literally now. I remember my friend bitching about this in high school since she was a huge Paradise Kiss fan and wanted more Yazawa stuff. I really hope this means they might bring over Tenshi no Nanka Ja Nai as well, especially since that one gets referenced a lot in Neighborhood Story

Seriously, I read a scanlation of Neighborhood Story years ago and then immediately read Paradise Kiss right after and it's a totally different experience

thetoughestbean posted:

Nana’s also been getting reprints lately (and drat they need to print more, those things sell out fast)
Oh good! I originally read Nana through my library and I just need it on my shelf so bad but was sold out on RightStuf for yeeeeaars

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Not new! This was the series that preceeded Paradise Kiss...PK is literally a sequel to Neighborhood Story and there's an editors note in the original translation saying, "read Neighborhood Story to find out more about this one-off character that only appears in this scene but is a minor character in NS!" You know...a manga that had no official english translation until literally now. I remember my friend bitching about this in high school since she was a huge Paradise Kiss fan and wanted more Yazawa stuff. I really hope this means they might bring over Tenshi no Nanka Ja Nai as well, especially since that one gets referenced a lot in Neighborhood Story

Seriously, I read a scanlation of Neighborhood Story years ago and then immediately read Paradise Kiss right after and it's a totally different experience

Sick... I've only ever watched paradise kiss so I had no context for this. Thanks for the background, and it seems like I have at minimum two more series I need to get physical :cheersdoge:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I know Seven Seas has a monthly survey where you can submit manga you would like to see licenced, do any other publishers run similar suggestion boxes?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s Tuesday! That means books were published today!

Here’s a list of books coming out this month

Some notable titles:

Today, February 7th:
My Hero Academia 33
Show-Ha Shoten 1 (the artist, Obata Takeshi, drew Death Note and Bakuman)
Tokyo Revengers Omnibus 7-8 (I don’t like it but it sells)

February 14th:
Komi Can’t Communicate 23
Parasyte Full Color Edition 2

February 21st:
Blue Lock 5 (Blue Lock has been selling real well, I think the first volume is already out of stock)
Villains Are Destined To Die 2 (it’s a Korean isekai series, available digitally on Tapas)

February 28th:
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 5 Volume 7

There’s a lot of less notable books I’m picking up this month, Drifting Dragons 12, Way of the Househusband 9, and Golden Kamuy 28 among them.

Unrelatedly, I found this pretty interesting

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/1623089487353122816?s=46&t=jIXXYdzXeIaTf2XRtoHjBA

Korean comics are a huge industry, yet remarkably under-discussed! Anecdotally, I know that teenage girls buy a lot of them at my store but most of my coworkers wouldn’t even be able to tell you what a webtoon even is

Can you recommend any?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can you recommend any?

Any Korean comics? They’re not hugely my thing but Tower of God and God of High School are pretty popular action series. I enjoyed what I read of The Monstress Duchess’s Adopted Daughter (a fantasy intrigue series), too

Villains Are Destined To Die (a villainess isekai) sells very well, so does True Beauty (it’s about makeup) but those are more aimed at young women and I am not a young woman

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Tower of God has a great first season and epilogue. But don't read the comments! Seriously.

Personally I think it never hits the same highs as that first bit, if you want to hear my suggestion for a stopping point I'll provide it. The thread here might be picking up soon, but there is probably still time to discuss the beginning there before serious discussion of new releases start.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Seems like they fired whoever at Amazon was in charge of adding new manga volumes to the series list, because everything I'm following has new volumes coming out not sorted in the app as being part of the series. I went as far as contacting them about it but I kind of doubt whether the answering service I got is going to do anything meaningful about the problem.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I own loads of manga that I bought in highschool but the only series I still collect in physical copies is Berserk. No room anymore.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1631051745714483207?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

I enjoy this series, I’m glad it’s getting an official release

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Jesus is it March already? I still haven’t paid my taxes!

here’s a list of manga published this month

Notable titles:

3/7:
Ayashimon 1 (Viz). Another modern SJ titles that was cancelled too soon.
Black Clover 32 (Viz)
Blade of the Immortal Deluxe Omnibus Edition 8 (Dark Horse). This title is published mirrored because of the manji (read: swastika) on the back of the main character!

3/14
There’s a couple titles I’m interested in being published this week, like Call of the Night 11 and Kageki Shoujo 8 but I don’t know if they’re necessarily notable. But what even makes a manga notable? Is Helck 2 notable here? It’s certainly well loved, even if that’s not reflected in its sales.

3/21
Berserk Deluxe 13 (Dark Horse).
Jujutsu Kaisen 19 (Viz)
Solo Leveling 6 (Yen Press)
Spy X Family 9 (Viz)

3/28
March Comes In Like A Lion 1 (Denpa) !!! This manga rules, I really recommend it. It’s a shame that it won’t see the sales bump from being available while the anime airs.
Tombs (Junji Ito Story Collection) (Viz)

Anything you think I missed? Does only covering the highest profile/best sellers unfairly obscure female-marketed comics? Have you paid your taxes yet?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nice to see March finally getting an English printing. If it's good quality I'm definitely picking that up, especially since I have no hope for a s3 happening at this point.

E: Call of the Night and Kageki Shoujo are definitely noticeable. Helck, I'm not too sure of, it had a stint of popularity on SA, but that was literally like 6-7 years ago.

Julias fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 5, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s been a month, so there’s new releases! But first, I found this pretty interesting. It’s a list of the best selling (in the US) comics of 2022. Will manga ever outperform Dav Pilkey? Probably not, his stuff rules.

Here’s a neat chart, too:

Sixty percent of all manga sold in the US last year was published by Viz. That’s quite the market domination

Here’s a list of manga published (once again, in the States) this month!

Some key releases
4/4
One Piece 102 (Viz)
4/11
Dandadan 3 (Viz)
Komi Can’t Communicate 24 (Viz)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 11 (Viz) (Zelda manga sells surprisingly well! Most other game adaptations don’t do nearly as well)
My Dress-Up Darling 8 (Square Enix)
4/18
Blue Lock 6 (Kodansha)
Tokyo Revengers 9-10 (Seven Seas)
4/25
Daemons of the Shadow Realm 1 (Square Enix) (This is the newest series by the creator of Full Metal Alchemist, Arakawa Hiromu)
Gambling Apocalypse: Kaiji 4 (Denpa) (I admit this is more notable than something that I expect to sell well)

I’ve got a number of books ordered this month that aren’t on this list. Worlds End Solte 2, To Your Eternity 18, and Kowloon Generic Romance 3 are all books I’m looking forward to but I don’t think they have quite the audience to call a key title.

I should see if I can find what the sales were like for what I called the key titles of last month and see if they sold well/I missed anything

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 6, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve got a number of books ordered this month that aren’t on this list. Worlds End Solte 2, To Your Eternity 18, and Kowloon Generic Romance 3 are all books I’m looking forward to but I don’t think they have quite the audience to call a key title.

Sengoku Youko is also getting its first volume released this month by TOKYOPOP. Curious about the release, I haven't thought about TOKYOPOP in ages save for their deluxe release of ARIA.

I'm also looking forward to the release of the third deluxe omnibus of The Girl on the Other Side from Seven Seas.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

Sengoku Youko is also getting its first volume released this month by TOKYOPOP. Curious about the release, I haven't thought about TOKYOPOP in ages save for their deluxe release of ARIA.

I'm also looking forward to the release of the third deluxe omnibus of The Girl on the Other Side from Seven Seas.

So it does! I need to make sure to order it.

The Girl From the Other Side omnibuses are really nice

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/josu_ke/status/1646611274640310273?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

It’s interesting to me to see just how popular Iruma-kun is in Japan while only just getting its first book released in the States next month. It’s had multiple seasons of anime, too!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Surprised that Kaiju no 8 is doing so well when I felt like it's been spinning its wheels for a while now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It definitely had a slow period to it where I thought it was going downhill but it was worth it because the last couple of chapters have been incredible.

It’s a momentum thing. If it had done that right from the get go people would be willing to bounce, but it’s been running for a while so people are willing to give it some runway to build up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fair, the latest arc has been pretty decent so I can see it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
Not sure if this would be better in the general chat thread or not but I have a question about how the official releases and the publishing industry handles the topic of fansubs and websites like mangadex. It often feels contentious when more than one person/group decides to translate an ongoing work and I can only imagine that gets exacerbated when fansubbed works get picked up for official release.

Do official publishers use in-house translators or has there ever been a case of a fansubber on mangadex going official for the same work they originally translated?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Arc Hammer posted:

Not sure if this would be better in the general chat thread or not but I have a question about how the official releases and the publishing industry handles the topic of fansubs and websites like mangadex. It often feels contentious when more than one person/group decides to translate an ongoing work and I can only imagine that gets exacerbated when fansubbed works get picked up for official release.

Do official publishers use in-house translators or has there ever been a case of a fansubber on mangadex going official for the same work they originally translated?

Fansubbers do occasionally go legit, but you very rarely hear about it because they typically don’t bring it up to the publisher. Keep in mind that to the publisher, fansubbing is piracy. They aren’t going to be pleased that you helped people access their product for free (even if it helped show there was an audience for the book in the first place)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

thetoughestbean posted:

Fansubbers do occasionally go legit, but you very rarely hear about it because they typically don’t bring it up to the publisher. Keep in mind that to the publisher, fansubbing is piracy. They aren’t going to be pleased that you helped people access their product for free (even if it helped show there was an audience for the book in the first place)

I know (via SA) some people who got video game translation jobs on the strength of their fan translations of previous games in the series.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wdarkk posted:

I know (via SA) some people who got video game translation jobs on the strength of their fan translations of previous games in the series.
I suspect Banpresto uses somewhat different logic :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

This is one of those things that probably happened constantly in the 90s when the industry was new but now that its mature theyre just gonna see fansubbers as pests and pirates. I bet a decent number of those guys editing classic yellow style subtitles into VHS got some jobs

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The new Viz app is a ridiculously good deal—$3 a month to be able to read 100 chapters per day of a lot of their back catalog. Plus it’s simulpubbing a number of very good series, like Frieren and Komi Can’t Communicate. I can’t recommend it highly enough

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Meme Emulator posted:

This is one of those things that probably happened constantly in the 90s when the industry was new but now that its mature theyre just gonna see fansubbers as pests and pirates. I bet a decent number of those guys editing classic yellow style subtitles into VHS got some jobs

Pretty much all professional translators these days are former fansubbers because there is no other path to get the kind of experience you need. You're not likely to work on the same stuff you did before, but that's just how the career works.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

The new Viz app is a ridiculously good deal—$3 a month to be able to read 100 chapters per day of a lot of their back catalog. Plus it’s simulpubbing a number of very good series, like Frieren and Komi Can’t Communicate. I can’t recommend it highly enough

Sadly it's region-locked and I don't really feel like getting a VPN just for it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Luckily my main Google account is Canadian so I can install the app + pay for subscription with my Korean credit card.

Not really interested in most of the stuff they have, but they do have Itsuwaribito which I used to read scans of before they petered off, so I guess that's worth going back into.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The K Manga app also just launched. It’s awful! Somehow worse than the Square Enix manga app

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

The K Manga app also just launched. It’s awful! Somehow worse than the Square Enix manga app

How the gently caress does that happen

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ibblebibble posted:

How the gently caress does that happen

The currency to read new chapters is confusing and while you can watch ads to get a smidge more of it, it goes less far if you buy it than SE’s does.

There’s a better selection of manga on K-Manga, but MangaUp is more user friendly and nickels and dimes you (a bit) less.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
It is frustrating because a couple of series I read have been dropped by scanlators as they're now getting an official release, but the app didn't actually seem to be available outside of North America and also even if it was the reviews look awful.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It is frustrating because a couple of series I read have been dropped by scanlators as they're now getting an official release, but the app didn't actually seem to be available outside of North America and also even if it was the reviews look awful.

Not even North America, I'm in Canada and it's not available either. So I guess I'll just... not read Loser Ranger.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

thetoughestbean posted:

It is just shockingly bad. I can see why Viz just dropped their app a day before. I was excited for Kodansha to do something similar, but I guess I will just stick with buying the occasional volume digitally on sale at Amazon/not buying them at all.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Was really hopin' for a good English app so I could buy chapters on that but I guess I'll stick with the vastly cheaper Korean option.