Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s wild when a company releases a highly successful app that everyone has high praise for and instead of going “ok, how do we emulate that?” they all go “okay, let’s do something kinda like that, but way, way, way worse.”

Just put out and app where I pay you X dollars a month to read manga. That’s it. That’s the formula for success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
We'll definitely make more money if we chop a chapter into parts and charge tokens/slurp juice/coinz to rent them for 3 days.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

sinky posted:

We'll definitely make more money if we chop a chapter into parts and charge tokens/slurp juice/coinz to rent them for 3 days.

Yeah the whole gacha system where you get tokens you can exchange for half a manga chapter seems bad enough but then I discovered it is also only a rental.

They've created a system where a digital rental is more expensive than buying physical media.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah the whole gacha system where you get tokens you can exchange for half a manga chapter seems bad enough but then I discovered it is also only a rental.

They've created a system where a digital rental is more expensive than buying physical media.

If you use points to unlock a chapter it should be available forever. It’s only a rental if you use the free options

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This is byzantine and absolutely brain dead when your competitor is offering flat sub prices:

quote:

There are many manga apps — such as VIZ Manga, Manga Plus and Crunchyroll Manga — that offer a select number of chapters for free before users are then prompted to sign up for a subscription. K Manga, on the other hand, does its free option a little differently.

Kodansha’s new app has ticket and point systems, allowing readers to unlock additional chapters.

For instance, the app offers “Normal Tickets,” which are given to users daily, and “Premium Tickets,” given to users three or four times per day through login bonuses or by watching video ads. Normal tickets can only be used on one title whereas premium tickets last three days and can be used on multiple titles.

One ticket unlocks one chapter. Users can only use their tickets on titles with the orange ticket symbol next to them.

Points are another way for users to unlock chapters. Like tickets, these can also be earned by watching ads — each advertisement gives users 50 points. K Manga also grants them five points if they read certain titles.

Once a user unlocks a chapter with points, they can access it indefinitely through their account. And if a user runs out of points, they can always purchase them with real money. One point costs 1 cent, so users can spend $1 and get 100 points.

However, one downside is that one chapter can cost either 69 or 99 points. The number of points per chapter varies, depending on the title and when the chapter was released. (Older chapters typically require fewer points than newer chapters.)

The app also offers some titles that offer “always free” chapters, the company noted, and don’t require tickets or points.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Isn't that just the endgame? Pay for the privilege rather than ownership.

newershadow
May 18, 2014

that TechCrunch article posted:

Points are another way for users to unlock chapters. Like tickets, these can also be earned by watching ads — each advertisement gives users 50 points. K Manga also grants them five points if they read certain titles.
This is also super wrong, you have a *chance* at 50 for each advertisement, and you're limited to I think five ads each day? It's not super clear to me when they reset so it might be fewer. Four out of Five times today I got 5 points per ad, and I got a 2-week ticket for the other (which is fine in theory but tickets seem less useful than some fraction of a newer chapter).

As far as price, it might technically be cheaper to buy chapters than it is to buy volumes (especially if you wait a couple weeks for the discount). Since volumes tend to be 9-10 chapters, at 69 cents a chapter you're cheaper than volumes if they're in the $10 range. Even a monthly series like Reincarnated as a Slime, with 4 old chapters @139 -> 560 vs. $10.20/volume on bookwalker. The problem is, you miss out on any volume extras and you're permanently attached to this app, and I wouldn't blame anyone who didn't want to deal with everything here (I don't want to deal with it myself, tbc)

You might be able to keep up with one weekly series for free if you stick with ads (which is a chore and eats up device time! It sucks!). Keeping up with multiple series seems impossible to do without spending a bunch and that's not going to dissuade people from pirating.

newershadow fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 10, 2023

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Myself and a few friends I have talked to who were very interested in this app have already un-installed it. Seems like a big missed opportunity for Kodansha!

I would have been fine with it if the free stuff was free and unlimited and the pay stuff was just pay stuff. Once I saw the predatory mobile game bullshit it was over.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have no idea how this business model is supposed to work, at all. Is the idea that people would rather schlorp down nonsense to read manga for """""""free""""""" than pay a sub? Because if you're that set on reading manga for free, I'm pretty sure piracy is easier than having to pretend to watch ads

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m told this is pretty similar to how their app works in Japan, but that app at least has subscriptions to magazines you can pay

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
2.99 Canadian and I read all what Viz has out of “How do we relationship” and that’s a great manga. I wish it had a better name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Jerkface posted:

This is byzantine and absolutely brain dead when your competitor is offering flat sub prices:

Good lord. What MBA idiot came up with this??