Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I know achieving consensus is difficult but can we talk about how good chili is please? I fuckin love chili, man. My thought was that it would be nice to have a thread to discuss different chili thoughts, questions, debates, preferences, and of course recipes. This has nothing to do with the fact that I am making chili right now.

Personally I like my chili with or without beans. I had it without for most my life but now I put beans in it. I do NOT put sour cream in my chili although I get why people would like that. I guess.

I like to use my moms recipe but with a few things changed around, maybe I will post it later. My fiancé does not like chili very much so I’m hoping I can change the recipe around so she will.

Somebody else share some chili thoughts or something please. I’m out for the moment.

This is a picture of some chili that I found on google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Mince

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Corn

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Carrot

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
check this poo poo out:

tandoori seasoning in chili

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That sounds extremely good. To be honest I have only made it myself like four times (not counting white chili which I don’t think counts tbh) so I haven’t gotten out of the sort of standard wheelhouse if you will.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Had some cornbread and a bowl of chicken chili from a natural food store, cornbread is so good w chili

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Two things completely disappeared from store shelves at the beginning of the pandemic: toilet paper and canned chili.

"I cannot cook and I must poo poo."

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Despite being called Chili :airquote:, chili is not actually a cold soup at all. In fact, it is served boiling hot in cups or bowls, and it is also hot in terms of seasoning, which includes habaneros, jalapenos, chipotles, Carolina reapers, ghost peppers, black peppercorns.. most definitELY NOT A COLD SOUP. :chef:

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

award winning chili I made. gently caress all the haters.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That rules! Tell the thread why it’s so good please

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

ManBoyChef posted:

My dad and I entered into one of those like a decade ago. A ton of work, but we won the "Most Unique Flavor" award. I didn't have the courage to ask if that was a good or bad one to get. It still tastes great to me today, so fk'em if they felt otherwise.

e: Semi-Shameful Chili Confession: I usually just cook my pop's version of cincinatti chili. It takes less than an hour from start to finish and it also works better with any non-beef/pork meats I might have in the fridge (turkey, plant-based fake meats, etc.)

Roumba fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 2, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I feel like cornbread always turns out super dry when I make it. Any suggestions to keep it from
Drying out too much would be appreciated

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gazpacho with BEANS

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I feel like cornbread always turns out super dry when I make it. Any suggestions to keep it from

I've heard sour cream helps. I don't know a lot about cornbread though

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Chili is good. Cumin is good. Peppers are good. Pinto beans.

When someone tells me to eat a bowl of gently caress I would, because I think gently caress would taste like chili

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My chili turned out pretty good. Normally the recipe calls for cinnamon nutmeg and allspice which I left out this time. Also tried using vegan beef instead of actual beef and it turned out pretty good I have to say. Might need to go spicier next time

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you use tomatoes you are doing it wrong.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh I make a very amazing and (I am told) authentic chili! I use four types of beans, and I replace the mince with lentils (mince is yucky!) and I usually use bell peppers instead of chili peppers because bell peppers are spicy enough. I like to be healthy so I add a bunch of vegetables like broccoli, corn, cauliflower, peas and sometimes some beets for some tang!

I don't like a lot of liquid so I avoid stock and use more tomatoes instead, that way it takes way less time to cook down, because I want to eat now, you know? For serving you gotta do the traditional sour cream and Parmesan too!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I ate chili tonight. Thank you

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Bismack Billabongo posted:

add a little oil to it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ManBoyChef posted:

add a little oil to it.

I can't remember what ancient brand of cornmeal I got last time but I think their recipe was 1c meal 1c milk 2oz melted shortening (but use lard instead).

bake at 400 for like 20 minutes. best one I've tried

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
cornbread should be kind of dry and crumbly so it soaks up juice from greens/beans/whatever

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bonzo posted:

:frogout:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I wonder if there is a thread more troll proof than a GBS chili thread.

Now I want cornbread.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Ok a lot of things to touch on.

Bonzo posted:

What would one use instead? I’ve only ever made it with hella tomatoes.

ManBoyChef posted:

add a little oil to it.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I can't remember what ancient brand of cornmeal I got last time but I think their recipe was 1c meal 1c milk 2oz melted shortening (but use lard instead).

bake at 400 for like 20 minutes. best one I've tried
These are useful notes and I will give it a shot next time. Thank you.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I wonder if there is a thread more troll proof than a GBS chili thread.

Now I want cornbread.

I’m fine with people trolling this thread if they really feel the need but I can’t imagine why anyone would want to joke about chili.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I add a beer to mine

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Alucard posted:

I add a beer to mine

I totally forgot I used to do that! It's nice.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I make a baked chili with only beans OP.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Agreed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wait I misread that.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Chili is just American curry.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I gotta take a poo poo ):

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
cocoa powder

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Tortilla chips are far better than cornbread as a side for chili. Fritos too.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

neato burrito posted:

Tortilla chips are far better than cornbread as a side for chili. Fritos too.

Chilli in a bread bowl good if you want to go hard on the carbs

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ManBoyChef posted:

What you have, nobody can take from you

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Beans in chili just gets in the way of MORE MEAT

so gently caress off with your stupid rear end filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

one really cool thing you can do with chili is use dried ancho chilis that you grind up in a molcajete.

or if you want to impart a more smokey flavor with a little bit more heat grab a can of chipotle chilis.