Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

everybody is too afraid to say it so i will: chili is overrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

TK8325 posted:

everybody is too afraid to say it so i will: chili is overrated

You meant pizza

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Take away the cheese and the bread, and what is pizza? A chili missing most of its ingredients. Makes you :thunk:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There's a chili cook off coming up in February that I'm thinking of entering.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
are there fast food chili places other than the south

i could eat petros for lunch

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Oh my good god he put canned green beans in his chili, and shot reddit posting all over his picture, and wears his watch on the inside of his wrist like he's a Tier 1 Operator Delta Force AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Hollismason posted:

There's a chili cook off coming up in February that I'm thinking of entering.

Do it. Its a lot of fun and you get to meet some other chili enthusiats. you should wear a weird apron...like something like this

also you can totally make a little fixins bar with cilantro, cheese, crackers, and cornbread....maybe some sour cream...I dunno you name it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

thread delivers

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

ziasquinn posted:

thread delivers

I know at the end of this image the little stickman says to invite some friends over but I think the original creator of this image does not really have any friends....just a bunch of people that use them for their car and access to their script of adderall.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
posting that reddit chili recipe thing is violence

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

what's violent is my reaction to how drat good that chili is it really DOES smell like touchdowns!

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I’ve been making a lot of mapo tofu this winter because I think it’s functionally similar to chili.

I love lovely American chili, like what you would get from Wendy’s or any given cafe or diner, as much as the next guy. That said, it’s really easy to do a hundred times better with access to a good Mexican market.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol He bought a McCormick chili packet just to throw it in the trash and waste it, then recreated it with McCormick spices again lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I would eat that chili. Probably wouldn’t put green beans in it but the end product looks tasty

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Toxic Mental posted:

lol He bought a McCormick chili packet just to throw it in the trash and waste it, then recreated it with McCormick spices again lol

That’s like 90% of peoples “secret award winning chili” recipes you ever see. The packet at least probably has MSG loaded into it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Lt. Cock posted:

That’s like 90% of peoples “secret award winning chili” recipes you ever see. The packet at least probably has MSG loaded into it.

MSG owns so that's a good thing imho

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
That’s what I was getting at yeah

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
The secret ingredient to the best chili is a splash of fish sauce.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Ok a lot of things to touch on.

What would one use instead? I’ve only ever made it with hella tomatoes

I re hydrate dried chilies (mostly guajillo) then blend them up with some garlic, onion, spices and use that as a base.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
^^
Same same. I really like moritas and anchos as well. A good base might have some tomato paste in it, but with the right chilis it’s not really necessary. I huck in small pieces of those Abuelita chocolate pucks sometimes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Frito pie with wolf brand chili

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nooner posted:

Sounds better than her other signature dishes.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

loving cincinatti chili....fml

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Nooner posted:

I'm watching king of the hill right now.

One day I'll make frito pie

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I feel like cornbread always turns out super dry when I make it. Any suggestions to keep it from
Drying out too much would be appreciated
Sounds weird, but instead of egg, oil, fat in cornbread you can just use a lot of good mayonnaise. I wouldn't try a bad "fake" mayonnaise though.

From another chilli thread my favorite inclusion is a bit of chocolate, not milk chocolate more towards 100% or cacao powder.

I also like to take various dried peppers and puff them up in the oven or microwave and blend them into a beef stock for the base. That's just for a really silky base, add fresh peppers too but I've gotten to a point where I just liberally add my favorite scorpion pepper hot sauce to my bowl instead of chancing making it too hot to share.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
lol that there's people that make chili without tomato OR beans. like what is it meat in beer?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
has someone said french onion soup mix yet?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Costco Meatballs posted:

lol that there's people that make chili without tomato OR beans. like what is it meat in beer?

it's chili op. the main and only required ingredient is in the name

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
here's how you make chili

1. get your ingredients
2. cook your ingredients
3. WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD UP WHAT THE gently caress YOU PUT THAT IN YOUR CHILI? WHAT KIND OF loving SUBHUMAN MONSTER TRASH ARE YOU, GET OUT, GET THE gently caress OUT, YOU HAVE COMMITTED CHILI HERESY, gently caress YOU JUST gently caress YOU gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress
4. serve with crackers
5. WHO THE gently caress EATS CHILI WITH CRACKERS JESUS H CHRIST IT'S CORNBREAD OR NOTHING YOU IGNORANT loving DOLT DON'T YOU EVER SET FOOT IN A KITCHEN AGAIN

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Howard Beale posted:

here's how you make chili

1. get your ingredients
2. cook your ingredients
3. WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD UP WHAT THE gently caress YOU PUT THAT IN YOUR CHILI? WHAT KIND OF loving SUBHUMAN MONSTER TRASH ARE YOU, GET OUT, GET THE gently caress OUT, YOU HAVE COMMITTED CHILI HERESY, gently caress YOU JUST gently caress YOU gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress
4. serve with crackers
5. WHO THE gently caress EATS CHILI WITH CRACKERS JESUS H CHRIST IT'S CORNBREAD OR NOTHING YOU IGNORANT loving DOLT DON'T YOU EVER SET FOOT IN A KITCHEN AGAIN

and green beans

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh I make a very amazing and (I am told) authentic chili! I use four types of beans, and I replace the mince with lentils (mince is yucky!) and I usually use bell peppers instead of chili peppers because bell peppers are spicy enough. I like to be healthy so I add a bunch of vegetables like broccoli, corn, cauliflower, peas and sometimes some beets for some tang!

I don't like a lot of liquid so I avoid stock and use more tomatoes instead, that way it takes way less time to cook down, because I want to eat now, you know? For serving you gotta do the traditional sour cream and Parmesan too!

It's this a troll?

If not, who's telling you it's authentic? Because you're both incredibly ignorant about chili

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

come on BBC, what the gently caress

naem
May 29, 2011

this is a good chili video

https://youtu.be/mb3k0wApWas

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

naem posted:

His worst video ever. Pretty much unforgivable.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I eat chili to forget the bad times and the good times.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

naem posted:

WTF is this fancy Michelin star chef. How about some cooking for normal people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlImuKkAfVE

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

nexous posted:

The secret ingredient to the best chili is a splash of fish sauce.

:hmmyes:

I add a bit of masa to my chili and I don’t know if it makes it better but I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Back in the 80's a high school friend whose family was from Oklahoma had a mom that got into serious chili cooking competitions. Eventually won the blue ribbon and a $25,000 prize. It was called Shotgun Willie's Chili. Not to be confused with the dozen of other chilis using the same name.

Article and recipe here:
https://www.chilicookoff.com/winning-recipes/details/32

You'll notice the distinct lack of beans and corn(wtf?). This was chili to die for. You'll notice it's prime beef, not ground. I got to eat it many times when at their house for lunch or dinner.

She actually started a small kitchen for a number of years, marketing it on the west coast and a bit back east.

Willie was an actual friend of theirs and I got to meet him and shake his hand at a small party they had about a year after the contest. So that was cool.