Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Voting closes at 23:59 on Sunday, January 15 PST.

Vote here for your five (5) best anime of 2022. You can optionally vote for your honorable mentions and rank your top five. The weighted top ten will be determined by points, with 5 points going to first place votes and 1 point going to fifth place votes. Unranked votes will all be given a flat 3 points

Sortable spreadsheet of qualifying anime: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cf5xDGlEjdc9YFIBK-5M2J9um-UfQIpwGoebx6W1aQo/edit#gid=0

And here's a shortcut to the results: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020988&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post529162992

Previous AOTY threads:
2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011
2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006

Julias fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

there should be a form, right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

1) Mob Psycho s3
2) Bleach TYBW
3) Film Red
4) DBS Super Hero
5) Demon Slayer: Entertainment District

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

1. Cyberpunk Edgerunners
2. Chainsaw Man
3. Mob Psycho S3
4. Spy X Family
5. DBS Super Hero

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

there should be a form, right?

Squark managed those and I'm too lazy to do that. I'll just count them manually like how we used to do them.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

1. Akiba Maid War
2. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
3. Bocchi the Rock
4. Chainsaw Man
5. Do it Yourself!!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

1) Bocchi the Rock!
2) Akiba Maid War
3) Lycoris Recoil
4) Sabikui Bisco
5) In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki

Honorable mentions: Raven of the Inner Palace, Healer Girl

Best sequels: Shadows House s2, Mob Psycho s3, Machikado Mazoku s2, Tatami Time Machine Blues

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
1: Bocchi the Rock
2: Chainsaw Man
3: SPY x FAMILY
4: Do It Yourself!!
5: Dress Up Darling

A mighty fine year for anime and still ended on an incredibly high note.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Edgerunners
G-Witch
SpyXFamily
Chainsaw Man
Bocchi the Rock
Kaguya S3.

EDIT:
Completely blanked on G-Witch. Still number 2 in my heart even if it don't count.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 2, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh ok then. in that case,

1 - Bocchi
2 - Lycoris Recoil
3 - Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Season 2
4 - SpyxFamily
5 - Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2

Honorable Mention: Executioner and her Way of Life, Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 15, 2023

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

1: Kaguya-Sama
2: Cyberpunk
3: SPY x FAMILY
4: Chainsaw Man
5: Paripi Koumei

Honorable Mentions: Mob Psycho 100, G-Witch PROLOGUE, Lupin III Part 6

Isekai Mention: Saihate no Paladin

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

mob mob mob mob mob mob mob mob mob mob mob mob mbo mbo bm obm bo bmbo bmbo mb ob mb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkvHFBC35Oc

Didn't watch any other anime this year, might check out chainsaw man at some point.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

1) Bocchi the Rock
2) Akiba Maid War
3) Heike Monogatari
4) Paripi Koumei
5) Lycoris Recoil

Honourable mentions: Princess Connect s2, Bisque Doll.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
ok i guess i'll post now before i get banned for shitposting and leave the forums forever

1. Dance Dance Danseur: The show of the year for character development. My favorite narratives are with awful characters who have to learn how to get over themselves and work to earn forgiveness from others. Jumpei is only a typical high school boy level of lovely, but seeing him go through his mistakes and then struggle to overcome them is great anxiety-inducing fun.

2. Shoot! Goal to the Future: The most impossible anime to recommend to anyone else on my top five, because it looks like rear end and the writing is all over the place, but this is exactly the kind of melodrama I eat up. Drive the plot forward by having one of the main characters go crazy over being a jealous gay bitch? Yes, please.

3. Pokémon: Hisuian Snow: This is the best animated content Pokemon has ever had. The cute scenes feel natural and organic, the tense scenes convey the element of danger well, and the thoroughline in the narrative is clear and consistent.

4. Kingdom 4th Season: I started watching this franchise from the beginning in 2022 and while S3 remains the peak, this season is solid enough. I was very invested with the redemption arc they rolled out for one of the early antagonists, but then they kill him off. Ah well.

5. Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 2: I started watching this franchise from the beginning in 2022 and while S3 remains the peak, this season is solid enough. Perhaps the most I've enjoyed a shounen series in years. I loved how the series moved into the themes of doing the right thing even for people you'll never meet and who'll never appreciate you.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
1) Kaguya-sama s3
2) Bisque Doll
3) Paripi Koumei
4) Kaijin Kaihatsubu no Kuroitsu-san
5) Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Edgerunners
G-Witch
SpyXFamily
Chainsaw Man
Bocchi the Rock

EDIT:
Completely blanked on G-Witch.

well it also doesn't qualify since it hasnt finished airing

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

1) Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2 - Unbelievably, Attack on Titan just keeps getting better.
2) Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic- - Not really controversial to say that this show is one of the best romantic comedies of all time at this point.
3) Lycoris Recoil - THE surprise hit of the year. It manages to tell a refreshingly mature story without getting too dark and gloomy. The two leads were great.
4) Chainsaw Man - I haven't read the manga so I really loved the style of the show. The characters and vibes were also fantastic and it was another show with excellent humor.
5) Spy X Family - Fantastic adaption, consistently hilarious, instantly iconic characters.

Honorable mentions:

The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt - A surprisingly enjoyable gem. The main character is just competent and crafty enough to be interesting to watch but not so much that he becomes an insufferable prick. I love that this isn't an isekai and that the main character actually has a girlfriend and their relationship is genuinely charming.
Mob Psycho S3 - Mob is always excellent but the season suffered a bit from Mob's story already feeling pretty over at the end of S2 and the season never rose to quite the highs that the first 2 seasons did.
Summertime Render - An incredibly good start to the show, I loved how fast the plot moved. Gets decidedly less interesting in the second half but still solid.
Ya Boy Kongming! - When this show hits, it really hits. But there was also a good amount of downtime between Kongmings schemes which slows the pacing a bit. Kongmings rap battle was a real highlight though.
Ranking of Kings - I'm so sad that the show dropped the ball so badly in the second half. The first half is still amazing though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 2, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Strange Quark posted:

well it also doesn't qualify since it hasnt finished airing

Don't really care, new years programming screwing with the air dates can stuff it, it's still my number 2.

But if I have to play by rules then Kaguya S3 can be number 5.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Double post gently caress mobile data

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 2, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cripes triples

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 2, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

man you really dont care

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

1) Akiba Maid War
2) Bocchi the Rock
3)Kaguya-sama S3
4)Cyberpunk Edgerunners
5)Chainsaw Man

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

symbolic posted:

man you really dont care

Oh man thank you I thought I was like in a bad trip but no

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quadruple fucks to give.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 2, 2023

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do you think the stuck post can fill up a page by itself if we let it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quintuple post.

This is what happens when I go for a walk and my phone decides the edit button means "post again" while on mobile data.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 2, 2023

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Don't really follow seasonal anime, but:

Inu-oh
Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Spy X Family
Lycoris Recoil
One Piece

Haven't watched yet but plan to: Mob Psycho, Bocchi the Rock, Chainsaw Man, and probably new Bleach.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

1. Akiba Maid War
2. Chainsaw Man
3. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
4. Do it Yourself!!
5. Lycoris Recoil

This season was stacked with great shows and I would give all five of these the #1 slot if I could.

Honorable Mentions: Bocchi the Rock. While it's probably better than DIY by some objective standard, the DIY crew warmed my heart and stole the spot

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 2, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

1. Edgerunners
2. Mob Psycho
3. Spy X Family
4. Chainsaw Man
5. Overlord Season 4

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Spy X Family

I think that's all I watched unless I missed something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
1). Bocchi the Rock! - Obviously fresh in a lot of people's minds but there's not a word I can bring to mind that isn't gushing and superlative about BtR. The characters are memorable and lovable, the humor is snappy, creative, and exceptionally edited, and the music was utilized very effectively. It's a new gold standard for adaptations, 4koma/kirara or not, that for better or worse a lot of shows in the future will be measured against.

2). Tatami Time Machine Blues - My kneejerk reaction to hearing about a Tatami Galaxy sequel was one of distrust for the simple reason that Galaxy has for my money one of the strongest endings I've seen in a show and I just didn't believe I needed to revisit it. What my reaction should have been was knowing that the creative talents behind a story as amazing as Galaxy would also be able to create something just as arresting in a sequel and that was absolutely the case here.

3). Machikado Mazoku: 2-Choume - In a certain sense a bit of the charm was lost with this season compared to the surprise of S1 being as good as it was, but ultimately this was still a very decent adaption of several of my favorite arcs from the manga. I still wish it had 1-2 more episodes to breathe as every season has required having a few episodes with wonky pacing.

4). Mob Psycho 100 III - I have somewhat always maintained that Mob as a story peaked with its first season before it got too up in arms with psychic battles and that was also the case with S3. Still, these characters and their problems are so compelling and I liked seeing what notes could be written in the margins as we wrapped up all of their stories.

5). Lycoris Recoil - Wonderful characters, beautiful animation, good action, and a plot that is as dumb as rocks. I'll be happy to come back for more someday if a sequel ever gets made.

With Princess Connect! Re:Dive S2 and Love After World Domination on the outside looking in, sorry Karl.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 2, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

1) Cyberpunk
2) Uzaki S2
3) Princess Connect S2
4) Call of the Night
5) Mob S3

First time I think I have had to leave shows off the list. 2022 was a good year.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

1) Bocchi the Rock
2) Lycoris Recoil
3) Machikado Mazoku Season 2
4) Do it Yourself
5) Mob Psycho Season 3

Honorable Mention: Fuuto Pi, Love Live Superstar and Nijigasaki season 2, Princess Connect Season 2, Executioner and her Way of Life, Ya Boy Kongming, Dress up Darling, Kaguya Season 3, DragonBall Super Heroes, Akira Maid Wars, Call of the Night, Tropical Rouge Precure, Waccha Primagi

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
2022 was a really good year for anime but I still only have 3 shows I feel strongly enough about to vote for because I'm a picky bitch.

3: Magia Record Final season
...And here's one I don't think many other folks will be voting for. Magia Record overall is a weird mess of a show, but where season 2 was a mess in a bad way, these last 4 episodes turned that messiness into a strength. It takes a raw, expressive approach in just giving space for all the girls who "didn't get to stand on stage" and were ground to dust under the wheels of history to air out the full breadth of their emotions. In particular Kuroe as the weird loose end character who doesn't belong in both a textual and metatextual sense was really resonant to me. I'm always thinking about the part where Kyubey goes "our system of perpetual growth is better than any ideology :3" and Alina turns to the camera and says "look Kyubey's bad and all, but you do know who's really been benefiting from years of exploitation, right?" Frankly I'm just amazed that a gacha adaptation got to become the kind of jank-but-deeply-personal show I keep in the same mental drawer as my last year's AOTY, Blue Reflection Ray.

2: Machikado Mazoku 2-choume
It's Machikado Mazoku! I was delighted to see more of my favourite manga adapted, and this 2nd season builds on the foundation created by the 1st expanding the intricate story & worldbuilding and hitting some big emotional moments while remaining funny as ever, adding some more really fun vocal performances in particular.
But I do have to say I feel a bit less affection toward this season specifically than S1 - where that felt like it improved on the manga's awkward early goings in several ways, this one's just kind of a sidegrade that adapts its material very straightforwardly and hardly leans into the strengths of the medium the way the source does. Now if you wanna see an adaptation that does that...

1: Bocchi the Rock!
I can't say enough good things about this one. It's consistently funny, playful and imaginative, its acerbic sensibility lends enough edge to the kirara feelgood vibes to keep things fresh while remaining fundamentally good-natured and it nails the more earnest moments as well. It got me to reassess a manga I'd felt pretty so-so about on my first read, and is not only my clear AOTY but a real top 10 anime contender period. Just a total success on all fronts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Harder call that I thought. This year's had some good shows, and even going with a top ten, it feels like I'd leave something I got some enjoyment out of behind.

Opening with the honorable mentions, Spy X Family, Call of the Night, and Kaguya. They're all excellent in their own way (and if I was in another mood, Kaguya would almost certainly make the top 5), and they all have distinct ways they're interesting. Similarly, the latest final season of Attack on Titan is very, very well done. I'm curious how well Mappa will handle the last act of the show, which is kind of a looming issue over the rest, but seeing the anime was a reminder of how good Attack on Titan could be. It deals with multi-layered conflicts in a way that admits fault without pretending that there's a simple solution, and that, by the last chapters, is willing to show that even the worst pieces of poo poo have human motives that can be understood, even when they can't be sympathized with. Having the protagonist be the main villain without changing his core personality or motives is a really neat trick, and one not many series could pull off.

Still, I have to arbitrarily sort this down to 5, and that means some great shows don't get the credit they're due. The world is cruel. (But also... eh. You know the rest.) And that's even with some shows I heard great things about I didn't get around to.

So, getting down to business...

5) Yojouhan Time Machine Blues

Tatami Galaxy is one of my all time favorites, and this is more of it. Without as wide a circle for the finale to come back to, or the novelty, or the length, this wasn't going to quite live up to the original, but it managed an amazing trick in just being more of the same, with all the charm that implies and a lot of fun playing with stable time loops. Just a shame it wasn't more widely available.

And speaking of having a high bar to match,

4) Mob Psycho 100 season 3

Probably my least favorite season, Mob Psycho 100's ending act was oddly structured for an anime. While in the manga it was just continuing the story to its end, with Mob facing his reputation and himself in the process of growing up, the anime had to take two action heavy storylines and the lighter arcs between them to make a last season that felt stretched a bit thinner than the previous two. It's still Mob, and it's still excellent. It's just not at its absolute best.

Then again, considering how few manga manage to complete their adaptations at all, even a slight decline (and a great ending) is amazing.

3) 86.

Just two episodes this year, but to be fair, they're great episodes. 86 showed some of the most unique directing techniques I've seen in an anime, and it used them in a way that really highlighted the characters. I didn't think anything the show could do would be worth the wait... but it was.

2) Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.

And speaking of things I'd assumed weren't going to work, Edgerunners was Trigger going back to do an old school 80s sex and violence OVA, but with modern techniques and their own aesthetic flare, all wrapped around an excellent tragedy about a kid chasing big dreams, and a city trying to eat him alive. The characters were well fleshed out despite the short run, the animation was vivid and exciting, and the soundtrack set everything off just right. Considering that people were doubting it would even come out after how the game was burning at launch, it's amazing it came out this well.

1) Chainsaw Man.

And then there was Chainsaw Man, about a man who is also a chainsaw. I've talked too much about it already, but the anime, in a very different way, lived up to the manga, providing a separate experience that highlighted and reflected on the original. And also it gave us more scenes with Himeno drunkenly navigating her apartment, so that was fun.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 2, 2023

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
1. Bocchi the Rock
2. Akiba Maid War
3. BIRDIE WING: Golf Girls' Story
4. 86 -eighty six-
5. Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road

Honorable mention to Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru, which is a fantastic adaption, but didn't get to my favorite parts of the manga, so.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
My top 5 will have to be:

5. Ya Boy Kongming
4. Chainsaw Man
3. 86 Part 2
2. My Dress up Darling
1. Cyberpunk Edgerunners

Honorable mention to Akiba Maid Wars for being weird and funny and amazing. Just too many cool things this year.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Top 5

1. Bocchi the Rock
2. Edgerunners
3. DIY
4. Chainsaw Man
5. Lycoris Recoil

Honorable Mentions: Akiba Maid War, G-Witch, Mob Psycho III

Absolutely ridiculous year of good anime and even more ridiculous that most of it happened in one season.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Flawless tier
1) 86 season 2
2) Attack on Titan: The Final Season: Part 2 (lol)

"Yeah i really liked it" tier
3) Cyberpunk: edgerunners
4) Ranking of Kings

"Apparently I only watched like 5 new shows this year" tier (don't get me wrong it's good)
5) Chainsaw man

Honorable mention:
Lmao that the G-witch prologue episode is on the list but g-witch proper isn't (it is a pretty good episode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

1.) Inu-Oh
2.) Chainsaw Man
3.) Bocchi the Rock
4.) Spy X Family
5.) Do It Yourself!!