Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

i only watched like three anime this year but i feel strongly enough about

1. Bocchi the Rock!

to cast a #1 vote for it. one of the best elevations of a source material i've ever seen and i haven't stopped thinking about it since i started it. the last 3 seconds of episode 4 is maybe the funniest joke i've ever seen in anime? absolutely superb in all aspects. please do a second season.

Is that the one that ends with her dorky laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Is that the one that ends with her dorky laugh

yes, and the hard cut to credits absolutely floored me

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ugh idk

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
1) aharen
2) 4-nin wa sorezore uso wo tsuku, am I literally the only person who watched this?
3) bocchi
4) purple takagi (sore de mo ayumu wa yosete kuru)
5) ninja takagi (kunoichi tsubaki)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
1: Spy X Family, maybe got a little weaker in second half but still loved it.
2: Kaguya Sama, just had me laughing all the time, I think I binged thru all 3 seasons not realizing there was quite a bit of time between them.
3: Lycoris Recoil, I think I just got sucked in my the Chisato energy.
4: Dress up Darling, can't really explain... just entertaining?
Can't think of the next one on the top of my head.

I think i'll take a deeper dive into Bocchi and Chainsaw since it seems be a strong consensus.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
1) Akiba Maid War - One of the most entertaining high-wire acts, balancing insanity and solid storytelling while absolutely nailing the landing. I give it extra credit for being an original single-cour out of nowhere.
2) Chainsaw Man - Same as what everyone else says but I felt it lost steam in the last couple eps.
3) Attack on Titan whatever season it was - Good as ever
4) Demon Slayer Entertainment District - Gorgeous and incredibly action segments
5) Overlord - Mostly dumb but the best dumb I watched this year. Really uneven but still looked forward to it and it ended on a high note.

Honorable mentions are Bleach, 86, G-witch, JJBA SO, and Edgerunners.

Watch Akiba Maid War, feel the moe moe kyun

It's actually very good

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

1) Bocchi the Rock! - enough people have talked about this where I don't feel like I need to say anything

2) Akiba Maid War - same deal. TBH this and Bocchi could trade places any day of the week depending on how I feel, but I do think Bocchi edges it out a little.

3) Kaguya S3 - still incredibly funny, still looks amazing.

4) Chainsaw Man - solid adaptation, and I like how they let the little moments breathe in parts, but lacking somewhat compared to the manga as is often the case.

5) Cyberpunk: Edgerunners - I thought this would be more forgettable for me after I finished it, but I found myself liking it more over time with some distance. A good Trigger show.

Honorable mentions:
(there are a ton of these, very good year and I watched way too much lol)

Mob S3 - Mob ftw, but probably the weakest season.

Lycoris Recoil - fun characters and fun character interactions. Should have been gayer. Sensei is badass.

Dress up Darling - a very... affirming show? in a similar way to Bocchi. More fun characters and character interactions.

86 - got screwed by the year split, sorry. but what a finale! and very interesting animation choices, great style for that one particular sequence.

Call of the Night - great nighttime city scapes. Nazuna's VA does a great job, very interesting voice.

Ya Boy Kongming - he's ya boy

G-Witch - doesn't qualify. first gundam I've seen as it's airing. tbh, I'm not a big gundam fan and I think this is the only tv gundam I've seen (first three, g gundam, wing) that, at least at the moment, I 'd rate above just okay. don't shoot me, I think cca rules.

Pop Team Epic Season 2 - more PTE, more weird animation OP. it's what you want from PTE

Do It Yourself! - Pleasant show, DIY is cool stuff.

Birdie Wing - lesbian golf, insane premise. I want the transforming golf course to be real.

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 11, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1. bocchi the rock
2. birdie wing
3. akiba maid war
4. call of the night
5. ya boy kongming

honorable mention: cyberpunk, chainsaw man, dress up darling, slow loop, priconne s2, kaguya-sama, lycoris recoil

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

1. Bocchi the Rock! - She's just like me fr fr.
2. 86 - I **really** like the last couple of episodes. The show in generally is just fantastically directed and animated.
3. Chainsaw Man - Denji and Power's dynamic was just great. A show just about the two of them having wacky adventures would be enough for me.
4. Kaguya-sama Love is War - Ultra Romantic - great fun the whole way through and hey things actually had a change in status in an anime romance!
5. My Dress-Up Darling - Also loved these two goobers. Great chemistry.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
1. Bocchi the Rock - Amazing animation, lovable cast of characters, real growth and characterization, and backed up by really good music. And it's funny!
2. Akiba Maid War - I will never set foot in a maid cafe, and find the whole concept gross, but this anime takes the absurd premise and plays it entirely straight for a perfect 13 episode season. "I gave up hope of ever being happy when I became a maid"
3. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners - The best realization of Mike Pondsmith's world to date. It really nails the grime, the desperation, and the horrific wealth inequality of the Cyberpunk world. Retroactively made the game better by existing, which is no small feat.
4. 86 Part 2 - A very good second season followup to a perfect first season. Everything about this season was good, but it was lacking the emotional weight that made the first season great.
5. My Dress-Up Darling - An extremely charming and sincere show that is also incredibly horny. #1 show for me to recommend to friends and then remember that last part too late.

Honorable Mentions:
Chainsaw Man - This one is the whole package, top tier voice acting, animation, music, everything, I think it has the makings of a new classic, but it still feels like it's too early to be sure.
Lycoris Recoil - I really loved it but felt like it needed to go a little farther with its premise to go from good to great.
Spy x Family - Second season was a bit weaker than the first, but still very fun.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
1: Bocchi the Rock
2: 86
3: Lycoris Recoil
4: Akiba Maid War
5: I'm Quitting Heroing- the rest have been talked to death and everyone knows why they're good so let me give a little shout out to the wild ride that was I'm Quitting Heroing, a show about business management that was suddenly Captain America: The Man Out of Time, and then suddenly suicide by cop: the show. I wish this show could have had a better budget, I feel like a lot of people wrote it off because of how generic it looked and the low key frame count but it had a one and done story to tell and it told it very well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It has been almost two decades since I started watching anime as it airs. 2022 might be the year in which I've watched the least amount of tv anime. By all accounts it has been a pretty good year, between the multiple mainstream hits that everyone and their mother watched as well as plenty of more specialized shows that folks went hog wild for if they were in that niche. But personally I just find myself driven more and more towards mostly just caring about movies with the occasional tv show thrown in, primarily if it's a director or franchise I have some fondness for. What tv shows I did watch this year were good in expected ways. To rattle off a few, it's not like Attack on Titan, Lupin, Spy x Family, Mob, etc were unknown qualities to me. They're good! People like them for plenty of excellent reasons! It's just that for me this year there wasn't anything that was all that fresh and exciting in the tv space. Last year had Wonder Egg Priority and Oddtaxi, both incredible shows that came outta nowhere with little fanfare prior to airing. I didn't get anything like that this year but that's fine, it doesn't happen every year.

Perhaps, related to all that, this is the year in which I have felt a lil alienated from my fellow anime-likers. It's not a surprise to me as it's something I've witnessed for so many years but outside of a few specific names and franchises, most anime-likers just don't have a lot of chatter over movies. I can't blame them, lots of folks wanna talk about what's new and hot but there's no simple apparatus to corral folks who aren't already on board that particular train. All too many anime movies get inconvenient showtimes in brief windows; if you can't be free at 7 PM on a weekday during a single week then you gotta wait awhile before you can watch it at home (and if you're not meticulously keeping track then you'll never know when it's out there!). This is not to moan about not having anyone to talk anime movies about. Rather, instead of talking about them with my fellow anime-likers I tend to talk about them with my fellow film freaks (not to be confused with the 80s Batman villain Film Freak, who reenacted murders from classic movies. Though I would like to hear his thoughts on Inu-Oh!).

This is all just a long-winded way preamble for me to say that in recent years my choices have been leaning more on the movie side of things and this year continues this trend. It's probably gonna be like that for the foreseeable future. I still watch plenty of anime but hell, in 2022 I watched over 60 anime movies and didn't even manage to get through 10 tv shows. But as far as the anime-liker life goes, it's hardly a bad one. I'm content with it. Now on to my list :cheerdoge:

1) Inu-Oh - Every year a Yuasa anime comes out, it's by default my #1 unless I can think of a good reason to shift it downward. I still gotta rewatch Inu-Oh to properly digest it, but I never would have imagined that 2022 would have me telling my pals that the new Yuasa movie and the new Baz Luhrmann movie have a lot in common (For starters, the way they both modernized old genres of music!). I'm still mad I couldn't catch it on the big screen.

2) Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko - Paradoxically, while I am indifferent to the whole "slice of life" thing when it comes to more long-running stuff, I quite like it in movies. Perhaps it's because when you have a limited possible number of vignettes to string together, that's all the more pressure to make them a cohesive fit. Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko does an excellent job in that regard, helped by its very lively animation.

3) Goodbye, Don Gless - Surprised at how criminally underwatched* this movie was, especially given how well-regarded A Place Further Than the Universe is. Personally it's a show that didn't grab me, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Goodbye, Don Glees. It's a pleasant mix of an 80s coming of age adventure movie with some more modern sensibilities and pathos to the point where if I had to recommend any of my top 5 this year to someone who doesn't watch anime, if I didn't know anything about their tastes at all I'd definitely pick this.

*Even by the metric of folks who go out and watch Fathom Events stuff it performed worse than most anime movies released in the west in 2022. Pretty rough!

4) Mob Psycho 100 Season 3 - Mob is great. I feel like at this point everyone knows that. I don't feel the need to dive deep into why, it just is. Kudos for it sticking the landing, it might have been a more standard kind of ending than what Mob as a series normally goes for with its story arcs but hell, it's executed well enough.

5) Tatami Time Machine Blues - Tatami Galaxy is a very important anime to me, and if it aired a few years earlier it could have legitimately changed my life. So when a sequel was announced without Yuasa's involvement, I didn't know what to make of it. Particularly since the general media trend of legacy sequels has been getting a bit tiring. Thankfully, Tatami Time Machine Blues manages to recapture some of that magic despite sometimes running the risk of coming off as something dreadful like a reunion special or fanfiction, though thankfully it never goes that far. As these kinds of legacy sequels go it might not be as great as something like Matrix Resurrections, but at least it's no Ghostbusters Afterlife. That's a win in my book.

Honorable mentions:

Lupin the 3rd Part VI - After Part V I was worried about the future of Lupin anime, wondering if Part V was a sign of things to come with the series. More concerned with serialization and lore than being entertaining (the biggest crime any Lupin media can commit), I never finished it despite being a big enough Lupin fan that I've seen every movie (and there are a fair share of stinkers in the bunch!). Thankfully, my fears amounted to nothing as Part VI contains easily some of the best standalone episodes of Lupin outside of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. There's a large variety to them, from episodes giving a new spin on classic Lupin formulas to Mamoru Oshii finally getting involved with Lupin. The wide variety of writers gives it a breath of fresh air, especially as there are a fair amount of episodes written by authors instead of anime writers which really gives this season some extra spice.

Hey, let's face it, unless you're The Woman Called Fujiko Mine then your serialized Lupin story is gonna be a shrug at best and aggressively boring at worst. Part V got pretty egregious in that regard but Part VI's is tolerable. But you can just skip all that. There's about a dozen episodes or so that are standalone and are well worth your time.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - Never could get far with the manga but the anime kept me interested. Far as the fluidity of animation goes, I don't care about sakuga because I'm built different. It's directed well enough and that's what matters to me.

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero - Those madmen finally figured out how to make a Dragon Ball movie that manages to succeed at both the comedy and the action.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I watched, uh, at least forty shows this year. I think I avoided what were apparently some of the better ones (off the top of my head Gundam, Birdie Wing, Kongming), but it's still going to be a struggle to compress this into a one-dimensional top-n list. As ever, the order is based on whatever fleeting whims happen to have a hold on me at time of posting

Honorable mentions (i.e. I made a top ten list )

10. Jojo 6 - Definitely feels like they didn't have quite the same level of resources to play with as previous seasons, but still a great adaption of the manga (helps that I could actually understand the ending now)
9. Chainsaw Man - Stylish adaptation adaptation of great source material
8. 86 - I voted for this last year. I think S1 was better than S2, but consider this an endorsement of the whole project
7. Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road - Isekai is good actually
6. Machikado Mazoku 2 - Never apologize for being a peachy keen jelly bean

Top 5

5. Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Oji-san to - As a spring show, this seems to have largely been forgotten and maybe "comedy isekai parody" is overdone at this point, but it deserves at least one point.
4. Cyberpunk - It's important to occasionally stop and remind ourselves what anime is actually about : science-fiction ultra-violence.
3. Mob Pyscho 100 3 - would be on the list for the UFO episode alone.
2. Yofukashi no Uta - a refreshingly non-judgemental portrayal of romance between genuinely strange people. Also there were draculas or something
1. Bocchi the Rock - What everyone else said, plus couple of those songs actually slapped.

Good but DQ'd: Isekai Ojisan, To Your Enternity 2

Bad but I wish more people had talked about it anyway: Requiem of the Rose King

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

5. Inu-Ou

4. The Orbital Children

3. Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2

2. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War Ultra Romantic

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
5) Chainsaw Man

4) Spy x Family

3) Cyberpunk: Edgerunners

2) My Dress-Up Darling

1) Bocchi the Rock!

Honestly, Dress-Up Darling would've been my Anime of the Year, if Bocchi hadn't shown up. I loved Gojou and Marin's relationship and how they elevated each other with their own interests, but Bocchi felt a lot more complete in just one season.

...that, and I'd also likely recommend Bocchi more just because it's not NSFW.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

5. Demon Slayer S2
4. Spy x Family
3. Chainsaw Man
2. Bocchi the Rock
1. Kaguya Love is War S3

Top 5 is pretty easy when you only watch 5 anime in a year

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
1. Cyberpunk Edgerunners
2. Chainsaw Man
3. 86
4. Spy X Family
5. Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 15, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Still sad I can't vote for Gundam Witch

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i should do this i guess.

deaimon
spy x family
my dress up darling
akebi sailor uniform
in the land of leadale

there i did it i actually watched five shows. i have no idea why i didn't complete the things i liked or watched the things i know i would have. too much watching turn a and symphogear. i have no comment to make about these shows they are just good, cute things and i liked em more than other shows.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Waited until the last minute to binge a couple more shows, but ready to present my list:

Honorable Mentions:

This film came out in Japan in 2021 so it doesn't qualify, but Pompo the Cinephile aired in US theaters this year and would have been my #1 pick for last year if i could have seen it back then.

86 - i haven't gotten around to finishing it, but it might have potentially made this list otherwise.

My Dress-Up Darling: A bit too horny, but aside from that it was genuinely a very good show that both highlights a clear love for Cosplay as well as for people pursuing their weird hobbies and being true to themselves, and being able to take pride in those things and connect with others. It definitely has a lot of heart put into it. It just barely missed out on my top 5 because this year was just that good.

The Top Five:

5.Call of the Night: A metaphor for adolescence that does a good job of capturing the atmosphere of that age and time growing up, especially conveyed in they vibrant night life, the accompanying OST, and Ko Yamori's uncertainty regarding the various new experiences he is facing. I really love the small attentions to detail, like how when the detective character appears, the entire environment becomes saturated in a sepia-tone, giving a more noir feel to the whole situation. This and My Dress-Up Darling were about equal, but only one could fit on this list, and CoTN stuck with me more, especially after binge reading the entire manga afterwards.

4.Chainsaw Man: I know the reception on the forums has been more cool than on the internet at large with regards to the adaptation, but i think the changes made for the adaptation make it work excellently as a companion piece with the manga, instead of as a substitute for it. Given how much Fujimoto loves cinema, I can't help but feel like the directorial decision to make everything more cinematic was a nod towards this being a work of passion and love towards the mangaka and his story. Honestly my biggest complaints are that a couple of the jokes don't land as well in the anime, and that due to only being one cour, a lot of what really drew people into the series isn't on display here, so people may get a false impression that Chainsawman is a lot closer to a more traditional shonen, something like Jujutsu Kaisen, in terms of story beats and character arcs. But to talk about the positives, it really is just a lovingly crafted and cinematic experience for a TV anime, which is fairly rare, the show is fairly funny, and there is still a lot of individual creativity on display with the dozen unique EDs capturing various elements of the series and its characters.

3.Cyberpunk: Edgerunners: A simple one and done love story, depicting a really unique setting and single-handedly revitalizing interest in the Cyberpunk 2077 video game franchise. Aside from the story, it just has excelent directing and scene composition throughout, and the sheer brutality of it really does feel like a callback to the old OVAs of the 80s. I do think the show would have worked better if it had a couple more episodes of breathing room, but otherwise it's a solid romp from start to finish bolstered by its great cast of characters.

2.The Quintessential Quintuplets Movie: The conclusion to the Quintessential Quintuplets anime. This probably won't resonate as strongly with other posters as it did with me, but other than just being a really solid climax for a love story that stands on its own (even if you haven't watched the rest of the show or read the manga), I deeply empathized with Yotsuba and her feelings, as well as Futaro's feelings towards her. I know a lot of readers of the manga got angry for the ending, but for me it genuinely made the most sense and was the most heartwarming way to resolve things.

1.Bocchi the Rock: Everyone else has already said everything else that could be said about this, but to recap, you have a very stylized adaptation of a 4-koma manga, that takes the source material and raises it to 11. Aside from a great sense of humor and some very creative uses of animation, it's also an earnest depiction of social anxiety and how Hitori Gotoh slowly learns to grow as a person and to become friends with a wide variety of people including her bandmates who have their own fair share of growth as friends, especially Kita. While I think a lot of the comparison points to K-On are superficial, there's a genuine love for the craft at display here, visible from the amount of research and editing that went into depicting realistic instrument playing and the musical performances that the bands perform. And through that love I've seen several people begin playing the guitar or other musical instruments, directly inspired by this show, just as K-On inspired lots of people to pick up a musical instrument back in the day as well.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Voting ends in about an hour. I'll tally the votes tomorrow after work.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Julias posted:

1.Bocchi the Rock: Everyone else has already said everything else that could be said about this, but to recap, you have a very stylized adaptation of a 4-koma manga, that takes the source material and raises it to 11. Aside from a great sense of humor and some very creative uses of animation, it's also an earnest depiction of social anxiety and how Hitori Gotoh slowly learns to grow as a person and to become friends with a wide variety of people including her bandmates who have their own fair share of growth as friends, especially Kita. While I think a lot of the comparison points to K-On are superficial, there's a genuine love for the craft at display here, visible from the amount of research and editing that went into depicting realistic instrument playing and the musical performances that the bands perform. And through that love I've seen several people begin playing the guitar or other musical instruments, directly inspired by this show, just as K-On inspired lots of people to pick up a musical instrument back in the day as well.

I picked up guitar after watching Bocchi and while I only started practicing a week ago, I've really enjoyed it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Still sad I can't vote for Gundam Witch

That's why I'm not voting at all

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Loved the ending of Quintuplets, but I'm unsure if that's due to its own merits or because I won ten bucks off my wife for correctly guessing the chosen quintuplet

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Yawgmoft posted:

Loved the ending of Quintuplets, but I'm unsure if that's due to its own merits or because I won ten bucks off my wife for correctly guessing the chosen quintuplet

That's the Quintessential Quintuplets experience:

Srice posted:

I want to shout out two people in my showing:

1) the guy who, when the protag chose one of the girls, clapped
2) the guy who, when the protag chose one of the girls, muttered god damnit

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m voting for lycorico as number 1 and bocchi as number 2. Julias will count this vote

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

I’m voting for lycorico as number 1 and bocchi as number 2. Julias will count this vote

Nope.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The courage to vote too late

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias just showed the courage to tell a lie is all

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The quintuplets ends depresses me because none of the others move on from Futaro.

Like I'd be fine if a few of the others were shown to be in healthy and happy relationships, but no. They all get to be sad.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Natural 20 posted:

The quintuplets ends depresses me because none of the others move on from Futaro.

Like I'd be fine if a few of the others were shown to be in healthy and happy relationships, but no. They all get to be sad.

There's more to life than romantic relationships, and they're all shown living happily and achieving their own dreams. It's a pretty happy ending.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here are the ADTRW Best Anime of 2022 results:

We had a total of 72 voters with 56 unique anime voted for AOTY, 82 if you include Honorable Mentions that didn't get any AOTY votes

Starting with the unweighted top ten, we have the following

10. Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru | My Dress-Up Darling - 10 votes + 13 (!!) honorable mentions.

By far the show with the most honorable mentions this year. People loved the characters and their relationships, as well as the heart and love for the craft on display. By the way, did we mention it's horny?

9. Mob Psycho 100 Season 3 - 15 votes + 5 honorable mentions

The final season of Mob Psycho 100. While there was still a lot of love for the story, it was generally agreed that it was the weakest season, albeit with a good payoff at the end.

8. 86 Part 2 - 15 votes + 6 honorable mentions

Much like how there were only a couple of episodes this year, there were only a few words said about this show in this thread. Nonetheless, people really enjoyed the series as a whole, especially the conclusion.

7. Akiba Meido Sensou | Akiba Maid War - 16 votes + 6 honorable mentions

MAID JUST FUNNY. Aside from the comedy of the absurd premise, there's some genuine drama especially in the back half that pays off well in a satisfying finale.

6. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic | Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic- - 23 votes + 4 honorable mentions

According to the people who watched it, it is one of if not the best rom-com anime of all time, with fantastic animation and gut-busting humor. It especially nails its finale.

5. Spy X Family - 25 votes + 7 honorable mentions

People are saying they like the adaptation and a solid first half, but admit that it loses steam in the second cour.

4. Lycoris Recoil - 26 votes with 4 honorable mentions

Good Gay Characters in a Fun Plot. Not much depth to it beyond that

3. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners - 28 votes + 7 honorable mentions

One of Studio Trigger's finest works yet, a gritty Cyberpunk Dystopian Future beautifully depicted with a great cast of characters, fantastic animation and a lovely ost. A lot of fans sing it's praises for helping to revitalize love for the videogame and the franchise, no small feat.

2. Chainsaw Man - 34 votes + 7 honorable mentions

What is there to say? There's a Chainsaw Man, and people love both the manga and the anime adaptation for it's characters and cinematic direction.

1. Bocchi the Rock - 40 votes + 1 honorable mention

:It says it right there in the middle. AOTY. Gotta love good music, humor, and characters.

The weighted Top 10 are as follows:

1. Bocchi the Rock: 177 points
2. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners: 107 points
3. Chainsaw Man: 96 points
4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic: 90 points
5/6. Lycoris Recoil: 69 points
5/6. Spy x Family: 69 points
7. Akiba Maid War: 63 points
8. Mob Psycho 100 Season 3: 48 points
9. 86 Season 2: 47 points
10/11. My Dress-Up Darling: 24 points
10/11. Attack On Titan Final Season Part 2: 24 points

Full list as follows:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wonderful like characters good go funplot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

as it should be

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Julias posted:

Here are the ADTRW Best Anime of 2022 results:

We had a total of 72 voters with 56 unique anime voted for AOTY, 82 if you include Honorable Mentions that didn't get any AOTY votes

Starting with the unweighted top ten, we have the following

10. Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru | My Dress-Up Darling - 10 votes + 13 (!!) honorable mentions.

By far the show with the most honorable mentions this year. People loved the characters and their relationships, as well as the heart and love for the craft on display. By the way, did we mention it's horny?

9. Mob Psycho 100 Season 3 - 15 votes + 5 honorable mentions

The final season of Mob Psycho 100. While there was still a lot of love for the story, it was generally agreed that it was the weakest season, albeit with a good payoff at the end.

8. 86 Part 2 - 15 votes + 6 honorable mentions

Much like how there were only a couple of episodes this year, there were only a few words said about this show in this thread. Nonetheless, people really enjoyed the series as a whole, especially the conclusion.

7. Akiba Meido Sensou | Akiba Maid War - 16 votes + 6 honorable mentions

MAID JUST FUNNY. Aside from the comedy of the absurd premise, there's some genuine drama especially in the back half that pays off well in a satisfying finale.

6. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic | Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic- - 23 votes + 4 honorable mentions

According to the people who watched it, it is one of if not the best rom-com anime of all time, with fantastic animation and gut-busting humor. It especially nails its finale.

5. Spy X Family - 25 votes + 7 honorable mentions

People are saying they like the adaptation and a solid first half, but admit that it loses steam in the second cour.

4. Lycoris Recoil - 26 votes with 4 honorable mentions

Good Gay Characters in a Fun Plot. Not much depth to it beyond that

3. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners - 28 votes + 7 honorable mentions

One of Studio Trigger's finest works yet, a gritty Cyberpunk Dystopian Future beautifully depicted with a great cast of characters, fantastic animation and a lovely ost. A lot of fans sing it's praises for helping to revitalize love for the videogame and the franchise, no small feat.

2. Chainsaw Man - 34 votes + 7 honorable mentions

What is there to say? There's a Chainsaw Man, and people love both the manga and the anime adaptation for it's characters and cinematic direction.

1. Bocchi the Rock - 40 votes + 1 honorable mention

:It says it right there in the middle. AOTY. Gotta love good music, humor, and characters.

The weighted Top 10 are as follows:

1. Bocchi the Rock: 177 points
2. Cyberpunk: Edgerunners: 107 points
3. Chainsaw Man: 96 points
4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic: 90 points
5/6. Lycoris Recoil: 69 points
5/6. Spy x Family: 69 points
7. Akiba Maid War: 63 points
8. Mob Psycho 100 Season 3: 48 points
9. 86 Season 2: 47 points
10/11. My Dress-Up Darling: 24 points
10/11. Attack On Titan Final Season Part 2: 24 points

Full list as follows:

:cheersdoge: very happy to see Akiba place top 10, and hell, pretty dang happy with these results overall

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The word clouds are cool insight

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I still haven't seen Bocchi but yeah this is a really good result

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Southern Cassowary posted:

The word clouds are cool insight
Word.

Props for the work to do that.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Thanks for all your work, Julias! Dress-Up Darling's word cloud having horny at the center will never not make me laugh.

Also, it looks like I just ~barely~ avoided an AV change. One place higher and Maid War would've maid me eat my words. Glad people enjoyed it, just wasn't for me I guess :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Thanks for the analysis and ranking Julias! Love the word clouds.