Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

At least they're talking about it in the designated area for it. This is like the one thread where shows like that should be expected to be talked about and I don't think we need to start grilling people to justify their anime choices here in the bad anime thread.

That's for when they lack the self control to not poo poo up the seasonal threads with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also it's fun to watch bad anime and make fun of it. I don't know why this is a foreign concept on Something Awful of all places.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Also it's fun to watch bad anime and make fun of it. I don't know why this is a foreign concept on Something Awful of all places.

No you see, actually you like the bad anime and think it's good.

Anyway, Worst anime of the year:

1. A Couple of Cukoos

24 episodes and nothing loving happened. I don't even know how when the premise is so intentionally stupid.

I don't feel like there was that much stuff I actually hated this year though.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

gonna be real controversial by saying spy x family

I'll back you up on this actually. Spy x Family is a flashy series with great art, but the mangaka is just not a good writer. The overarching plot is too bare-bones, the plots-of-the-week too predictable, the character development is minimal, and for a comedy-focused series it's just not that funny. I was into it at first, but as the second cour dragged on and it became painfully clear that it wasn't going to ever change or evolve in any meaningful way I quickly lost interest.

While I'm here, I'll mention the latest Attack on Titan, on the simple grounds that this poo poo is taking too drat long. When the time jump happened - already three final seasons ago - the idea that the show was in its final stretch briefly rekindled my interest, but it's really stretching this final stretch, with some of the most laborious pacing so far and too many poorly executed last-minute twists. I'll probably still watch the final final season, but I'm extremely ready for this to end already.

And hey, I might as well throw in Mob S3, which felt aimless for most of its run only to then rush into a predictable and ultimately disappointing finale.

I swear I'm not trolling by naming three of the biggest shonen shows, I'm usually pretty good about dropping shows that aren't for me, so these are genuinely the most disappointing shows I watched all the way through.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
some yall straight stupid

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

cave emperor posted:

And hey, I might as well throw in Mob S3, which felt aimless for most of its run only to then rush into a predictable and ultimately disappointing finale.
+1 on this, Mob Psycho 100 varies wildly in quality but has extremely high peaks, Season 3 though just feels really stretched out and meandering compared to the previous ones. The alien hunting episode could easily have been one episode and there were single-episode MOTW things in both S1 and S2 with more excitement and plot than both the alien thing and the broccoli thing. The finale has a brutally cool idea but man it's just underwhelmingly executed.

Although its an old show, I gotta add half of Castlevania to this list. Every action bit was fantastic and some of the character plots were really well done like Isaac's whole journey, the characterization of Dracula is a stroke of genius and unforgettable, overall I loved it. But there were so, so many plots and episodes that just felt completely useless and pointless and leading nowhere. 6 episodes of vampire politics in Dracula's court and then they all die randomly anyway. Hector, who is a character I just don't care about, being romanced by a vampire while in prison like a stupid gullible loving idiot for 9 f u c k i n g e p i s o d e s and finishing off with The Most Obvious Predictable Conclusion. The japanese hunters visiting Alucard and learning nothing and then raping him and getting killed like stupid idots, what the gently caress?? Belmont and Sypha spending an entire loving season researching what is extremely-obviously a death cult resurrecting some hell poo poo why don't you just loving kill them before it's too late, well you see because man, in the season after I half-asleep stormed Dracula's castle with no plan and killed 20 vampires and loving Dracula himself, I sure don't wanna risk having to deal with some dumbass monks with pocket knives without every single bit of info I can get!!! I'm sure these marks representing Hell and Harvest popping up daily all over town is nothing, let's take our Sweet loving Time. You could cut out almost the entirety of Season 3 eps 1-8 and the show would remain literally unchanged. It feels like the show was trying to do Game of Thrones but only got it right half the time and the other half is just a waste of time.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 5, 2023

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

castlevania is a sterling example of why you simply do not let warren ellis write things or employ him at all

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cave emperor posted:

I'll back you up on this actually.

Hell yeah :hfive:

cave emperor posted:

While I'm here, I'll mention the latest Attack on Titan, on the simple grounds that this poo poo is taking too drat long.

I will fight you

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Seraphic Neoman posted:

These sorts of shows are so obviously BDSM fetish bait (never any male slaves, always sexually focused, slaves always end up loving thier captivity) that ive never understood why people talk about them with such venom. Its not like theyre serious or anything. Like, yea, Im sure a bunch of people from a society that has had slavery illegal since the 16th Century (and the people of Hideyoshis time barely practiced it) is just going to be rattling the cages to reinstitute it.

Also that show had the best ED of the year.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

buh?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Talking bad about these shows? Thats right, its kinkshaming.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:gas:

2022 is the year goons got too fail for the bad anime megathread

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sorry can't do anything about this one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
She Professed could have been a good adaptation but it was let down by its insanely bad CG quality and budgetary issues imho

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Talking bad about these shows? Thats right, its kinkshaming.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Worst/Most Disappointing Posts of the Worst/Most Disappointing Anime of 2022 thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think japan might have done slavery, or basically slavery, after the 16th century. just a game theory.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Adding another vote for disappointment in Spy X Family.

It's fine. I don't understand why it's so popular at all, though. The animation outside the first episode is standard, there's no unusual or interesting direction, the characters are extremely one note, it does very little with its established conceit, it's not particularly surprising, funny, or cute... I'm sincerely not judging anyone who loves it. I just don't understand the fervor and feel like I'm missing something huge.

I got as far as incest uncle's second appearance and dropped it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i read a couple dozen chapters of SxF and while i liked the premise it did seem like even early on it was kind of padding itself out and wasnt sure if it wanted to be more action or more comedy while not really blending either together seamlessly. i chalk up its insane popularity to a combo of the intriguing premise, Loid and Yor being hot, and Anya making meme faces. i also want the siscon uncle shot in the head

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Das Boo posted:

Adding another vote for disappointment in Spy X Family.

It's fine. I don't understand why it's so popular at all, though.
There's a lot of potential behind "everyone in the family is hiding a secret" which, in reality, only puts the two adults at odds if wifey is a state asset. There's also the subplot of Secret Agent Man growing fond of his family and possibly remaining with them.

Lots of Anya humor.

But year, there is a lot of spinning wheels since the kid got into school.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Meme Emulator posted:

Im sure a bunch of people from a society that has had slavery illegal since the 16th Century

I'm sure the Koreans and Chinese would probably dispute that claim brah

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Most Disappointing:
TIE
Devil is a Part-Timer 2/Rental Girlfriend 2
DPT getting a second season was out of nowhere. I was a fan of S1 but pretty much all the tone, setting, and animation of the first go was absent here. I can tell they're setting up some stuff about the Demon world being less Pure Evil blah blah blah. In better hands it would be a more compelling story. As it stands, it just kind of had the characters floating around doing odd jobs and being kind of directionless due to the weird apple baby.
S1 of Rental Girlfriend was an honest look at someone going through a crushing breakup. Mami relying on his attention, Kazuya having trouble moving forward... both really good background plots. S2 was, uh, not that. I feel like this could have been a 3 part OVA and cut out a lot of the cruft (how many scenes of Chizuru falling short of her dream job do we need to prove a point?). As it is, the show ends on what could have been the motivating action of the latter 2/3 of a season. Killed my enthusiasm for the series.

Avoided:
Harem in the Labyrinth/World's End Harem
Was hoping Labyrinth was funny or had something going for it, but I didn't stick around to find out. Scandalous VN/wish fulfillment stuff without anything going for it.
Or, as another goon said:
"What folks haven't mentioned is the lengths Slave Harem goes to say "no no no, actually slavery is okay!"
WEH at least had some interesting things going on with a world virus changing everything, a main that explicitly doesn't want a harem, possible clones, etc. Another goon took the hit and read through the series and basically said it didn't amount to much so I didn't get invested.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Where Spy x Family lost me was having Yor pretty much just be a house wife after introducing her and having her focus episode be around her brother who I'm not a fan of.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yor still gets stuff to do, she's just more reactive than proactive. Whenever she does show up and casually does something clearly superhuman it's great.

FilthyImp posted:

But year, there is a lot of spinning wheels since the kid got into school.

Eh, I see this complaint a lot and I think people are coming in expecting a plot-focused show when really it's basically a sitcom. It's more Friends or Brooklyn 99. Or for an anime example, Kaguya. There's an ongoing plot but it's mostly about just putting the characters in situations and seeing how the bounce off each other before progressing things just a bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kaguya has way more actual character development is the thing

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

kaguya is also much funnier.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Kaguya is also probably going to be our #2 AOTY, so....

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 6, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
SpyFam is a great biweekly read or whatever its schedule is in Jump+. I couldn't stick with the anime for Part 2 because it just doesn't work as well for me in the 23mn episode format despite everything about the presentation of the material being good.

ED1 is among the best OP/EDs of the year for me though. The transitions are creative and it's a nice vibes song.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sleng Teng posted:

kaguya is also much funnier.

This this this.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Yusin posted:

It’s still pretty bad but it’s premise is not nearly as offensive as something like slave Herem which I outright avoided.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. It's just that I was dumb enough to actually watch some of "Slave Harem" and after that I avoided "Futoku no Guild" because after already tearing out my eyeballs, stomping on them, and replacing them with burning coals, I figured I didn't need to add any further to the year's suffering.

But ever since, I'm avoiding anything that tries to hit the "slavery's not so bad." plotline.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Alright, writing this up now after G-Witch cour 1 wrapped just on the extreme off-chance it suddenly collapsed into a black hole at the last hurdle. Note: It did not. The show rules. Suletta slaps.

But seriously, most of my nominations for worst/most disappointing of the year have everything to do with their endings.

Honorable Mentions:

RPG Real Estate: Machikado Mazoku is a great series. Machikado Mazoku is able to deftly thread genre conventions. It's able to subvert serious things and play silly things deathly straight. It knows how to use its surprisingly well-rounded characters for both drama and comedy, how to explore and expound upon its world in a way that makes it fascinating and compelling. And it has a shockingly deft hand at tone, knowing when and how to play something for laughs and play something absolutely serious.

RPG Real Estate is not Machikado Mazoku, it occasionally uses its genre and world well but it's clumsy when it tries to reverse the seriousness of situations, its characters are weak and largely one note, its world is small and poorly sketched, and when it aimed for seriousness it fell flat on its drat face. I want to give it points for effort, but I'm honestly not sure it put in much effort. One or two good episodes keeps it off the proper worst list at least.

Parallel World Pharmacy: At this point it's probably pointless to complain about a crummy isekai anime given how low the bar is set for them, but Parallel World Pharmacy stood out as being the one I saw that was most directly harmed by indulging in the clichés of its genre. The show kept having glimmers of genuine promise that were snuffed out by the expected conventions. The protagonist is ridiculously overpowered and otherworldly to the point of being actually scary to the supporting characters? Immediately resolved. The protagonist's business has a slow start and faces opposition from people who have legitimate grievances with him? Sidelined, and our hero isn't the one who has to suffer for his decisions. A dude using a lack of knowledge about disease to commit what amounts to medieval era bioterrorism? That could be interesting unless he was, hypothetically, a boring crazy skeleton man who protag-kun punches so hard he explodes to end a pandemic.

There are enough cool ideas and enough interesting touches throughout that I can say I'd honestly like to see this writer do something in a genre that isn't totally paint by numbers, but so it goes. Again, honorable mention because really, it's an isekai, unfortunate as it is I wasn't seriously holding out for better.

The Actual Winners/Losers!

Yurei Deco: I loved this show. I dug the cast and the weird crapsaccharin world. I vibed with the weird, flawed, bizarrely naïve setting and its deeply imperfect yet innocent society. It was strange and reassuring and optimistic in its brand of feckless, wide-eyed optimism. Just about every year has a show that resonates all the way down with me, and this year it was this one.

It also really sucked. There is no getting around that sadly, the show's messaging had something of a through line if you squint, but it was badly told and inconsistent and frankly botched. I really love this show, but man was this maybe the worst way this story could have been told with these characters. Numerous times through the last quarter of the show the series set something up and began hinting at a turn and leaning into it before suddenly breaking off and taking a much safer, much more cowardly approach. Phantom Zero's motives, the truth of Mark Twain, Finn's true agenda, Hack's true desire, there is even one moment where I swore to god that Berry was about to make a huge sacrifice and the show backed off. Frankly? This show, these characters, and this production team deserved better than this final product.

Love Live Superstar Season 2: How much does it take to ruin a show? I ask because despite enjoying this show on the whole, the last 30 seconds of Love Live Superstar managed to make it plummet all the way down to the bottom of my list. It is very rare that I get to the end of a series and feel frankly loving insulted by how it chooses to end but here we are. Love Live is one of that rare breed, the last minute 180 the show pulls to get a third season feels like a genuine slap in the face. It also feels like, in the face of the continuation, the writers ran screaming from the much more interesting story possibilities that could have arisen from staying their course and having the characters practice what the show preaches and, you know, actually doing the thing the show built its last third on doing. Given how transparently little of a poo poo the show cares about itself and its story I feel totally justified repaying it in kind. Fool me once shame on you…

Tokyo 24th Ward: You ever watch a show that seems to think it's much smarter than it actually is? That was my experience with Tokyo 24th Ward. It is really hard to get across all of the topics the show introduces and does poorly. We've got realpolitiks! Survivor's guilt! Medical ethics! Recovering from trauma! Complicated family relations! People growing apart and coming back together! Idealism versus realism in growing up! Gentrification! Art as a tool for change! Challenges in policing! Targeted Advertisements! The surveillance state! Drug policy! The poisonous grasp of capitalism and the corrupting power of money! Trolley problems! Learning to let go! And so many more things and ideas to be told in an utterly, excitingly incompetent way! It truly is a failure on so many levels!

And that's without getting into the random magic superpowers triggered by phone calls from the protagonists' dead friend, or the fact that despite their random magic superpowers they suck and fail most the time, or the minority report computer running on a corpse, or the female lead being willing to run down a bullet train track for many minutes after her dog who is clearly trying to get her killed, or the weirdo who dresses up as a jester and claims to be supervillain before learning it's a bad idea to try to commit electrical sabotage in the middle of a goddamn hurricane, or the hacktivist art collective who eventually team up with the Yakuza to manipulate an election and this is depicted as a good thing, or the music that's a drug, or the lead feeling responsible for an accidental fire because (I poo poo you not) he didn't notice some rats one day and this is his deep dark secret, or the way the anime missed a week and then came back to run a flashback episode that told us nothing new about the characters or the setting, or the goofy rear end final action sequence where the cast have to fight robot traffic to reach a sea fortress...

If it wasn't all so loving boring I think I'd honestly recommend watching this trainwreck.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I watched all of Kaguya Sama over about a week without realizing that people waited years between seasons so I was a bit spoiled but really liked the end.

Spy X Family was probably my favorite of the year but the first half was definitely better than the second half besides the Anya getting a dog.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

infraboy posted:

I watched all of Kaguya Sama over about a week without realizing that people waited years between seasons so I was a bit spoiled but really liked the end.

Spy X Family was probably my favorite of the year but the first half was definitely better than the second half besides the Anya getting a dog.

I think you got the wrong thread, the AOTY one is two doors down.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Malsangoroth posted:

I think you got the wrong thread, the AOTY one is two doors down.
I think that they are referring to an earlier conversation on this very page comparing the two.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Seraphic Neoman posted:

1. The Faraway Paladin - AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL WASTE OF AMAZING SOURCE MATERIAL. Holy poo poo gently caress the people who made this adaptation. What an utter disappointment after an incredible manga. This was easily my biggest heartbreak of all the released isekai anime thus far. Just the sheer lack of resources clearly hamstrung a really nice work. Just a sad waste. Seriously, read the manga. Forget this terrible adaptation exists.

i don't think this counts as airing this year.

anyways i don't feel compelled to vote for anything.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I really liked Tokyo 24th Ward, odd animation be damned.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Seraphic Neoman posted:

3. My Isekai Life - :geno: ...look when the cult that wants to destroy the world is more interesting than the heroes of your tale, you might want to re-evaluate some things. Like I don't know, maybe give the main character some more facial expressions. I streamed this for my friends and they were begging me to turn it off.

2. World End Harem - I was hoping for shlock like Interspecies Reviewers but instead I got an utterly boring show which takes its mystery way too seriously and develops way too slowly. Also the main character is a loving loser.

1. The Faraway Paladin - AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL WASTE OF AMAZING SOURCE MATERIAL. Holy poo poo gently caress the people who made this adaptation. What an utter disappointment after an incredible manga. This was easily my biggest heartbreak of all the released isekai anime thus far. Just the sheer lack of resources clearly hamstrung a really nice work. Just a sad waste. Seriously, read the manga. Forget this terrible adaptation exists.

I'm still furious and angry about Paladin getting such a weak adaption. Shikimori was very nice and wholesome, but them skipping some needed character material and replacing with pointless scenes of the male lead being clumsy which weren't in the manga badly hurt the series as a whole(the rest is the community being it's usual toxic cesspit of awfulness) Isekai Pharmacy also got dinged in a similar way, but that was generally well received.

Edit: The fact that both of those got some iffy adaptions that were negatively received just hurts so much more since both of them tremendously resonated with in emtionally deep and poignant ways.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 21, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Paladins poo poo adaptation gives me doubts for frierens.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm holding out hope for frieren because it's been a wildly successful (non-Jump) shonen series (when it hasn't been on hiatus)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Paladins poo poo adaptation gives me doubts for frierens.

Unless I'm more concerned about Undead Adventurer as both it and Paladin share the same publisher as Arifureta and all would share the same problem of terrible anime adaptations(granted that Arifureta got the adaption it deserved). Frieren is a Shogakukan property so it's a MAJOR publisher so I expect them to throw money hard at it(then again, Slime is Kodansha's heir apparent and that adaption has been murky to say the least at times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Seraphic Neoman posted:

What folks haven't mentioned is the lengths Slave Harem goes to say "no no no, actually slavery is okay!"

Christ there were a lot of bad shows this season.

How far does it go?