Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

cr0y posted:

This might be arguable as to whether or not it's United States current events but bolsonaro is holed up in Florida with Jose Aldo?

Like what? Is he even technically wanted in Brazil for anything?

It's theatre. This way, his people back home can be all "omg Lula is SO BAD you guys Bolsonaro had to flee the country for his life we must fight back"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Nazis used to flee to South America, smdh

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It must be so weird to just walk into your local chicken restaurant and boom, murdering dictator. I am not sure how I would react or, to be completely honest if I would recognize him without context.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
What if I told you the House Rules package is dumb as hell?

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1609925394425339906

The fuckers have implemented a second leg of dynamic scoring. In essence: Tax cuts reduce the deficits because (noninflationary) "economic growth". Spending is inflationary and thus increase the deficits twice - once for the initial spend and once for the "economic contraction" caused by the inflation.

Paul Ryan is deeply jealous he never thought of this.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

Nazis used to flee to South America, smdh

Well, when "Is fascism evil?" is a genuine question for many Americans, it is quite the fertile ground.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fighting Trousers posted:

It's theatre. This way, his people back home can be all "omg Lula is SO BAD you guys Bolsonaro had to flee the country for his life we must fight back"

I mean, if you're hiding out in Orlando poo poo's bad. Let alone the entire country, Orlando isn't even the least bad choice in Florida to lay low. I mean, it's not Jacksonville dire, but it's not good.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

What if I told you the House Rules package is dumb as hell?

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1609925394425339906

The fuckers have implemented a second leg of dynamic scoring. In essence: Tax cuts reduce the deficits because (noninflationary) "economic growth". Spending is inflationary and thus increase the deficits twice - once for the initial spend and once for the "economic contraction" caused by the inflation.

Paul Ryan is deeply jealous he never thought of this.

They’re going to sink the economy to try and blame Biden without realizing nobody loving likes them and will know it was them!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For these rules to matter, they'd actually have to pass legislation that also has to pass the Senate right?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

For these rules to matter, they'd actually have to pass legislation that also has to pass the Senate right?

The problem is they will use "this will triple the debt, look at our awful report that makes no sense" to not do basic things like fund the government.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yawgmoft posted:

The problem is they will use "this will triple the debt, look at our awful report that makes no sense" to not do basic things like fund the government.

I think this only really makes sense if Dems ever got a chance to propose a bill; I don't think this will be effective for continuing resolutions; for anything where the alternative is "the government defaults or closes" Republicans will cave.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

They were going to do that anyway and their language / tactics / etc should never be given an ounce of consideration. It's just fascist monkey noises and always has been.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Victar posted:

1 person dead, 9 injured (some severely) in a New Year's Eve mass shooting in Alabama.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/1-dead-9-hurt-alabama-shooting-new-years-eve-party-rcna63882

2022 has surpassed 2019 as the deadliest year on record for mass shootings in the US

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d3adb/2022-mass-shooting-us-record

Happy 2023 everyone.
lol, cool, real glad me and my brother said gently caress going downtown this year, christ

Edit: lmao

quote:

“It would give some comfort to all of us downtown that this was not just a random shooting,” Prine said

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 2, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They were going to do that anyway and their language / tactics / etc should never be given an ounce of consideration. It's just fascist monkey noises and always has been.

You know that, I know that. The news carrying their talking points to the public verbatim as if they are 100% real as they wring their hands about debt means a vast majority of people who do not know that will just know scary number bad.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Dude starts with the assumption that nothing bad can ever possibly be his fault and works backwards from there, at the cost of every single friend, easily verifiable history and even basic laws of logic

It's a unique combination of narcissism, cruelty and idiocy I thought could never be replicated until Musk came along.

It's the narcissism plus the chronic inability to shut the gently caress up and avoid the spotlight in any context whatsoever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How likely is it that a Democrat will end up as Speaker simply because no Republican would get enough votes?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How likely is it that a Democrat will end up as Speaker simply because no Republican would get enough votes?

Zero

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Continuing to cave to the furthest right members of the party could drive a chunk of purple district Republicans to switch affiliation and caucus with the Dems. So, 0%.

Or mass vacancies could occur and Dems could net enough seats in special elections to flip the House. So, also 0%

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So is McCarthy going to have to give fellatio daily to Matt Gaetz to become and keep the speakership? Apparently he's signing all sorts of devil's bargains to become speaker.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gyges posted:

I mean, if you're hiding out in Orlando poo poo's bad. Let alone the entire country, Orlando isn't even the least bad choice in Florida to lay low. I mean, it's not Jacksonville dire, but it's not good.

St. Augustine is getting worse by the day as well and rapidly ruining everything I ever liked about it.

Mostly just due to nothing more complex than naked greed and over development.

We're on a "let's become Daytona" speedrun.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You need a majority of the votes so the Republicans who didn’t vote for McCarthy would have to vote dem or abstain for this to happen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

smackfu posted:

You need a majority of the votes so the Republicans who didn’t vote for McCarthy would have to vote dem or abstain for this to happen.

I'm not talking a Dem running head-to-head against McCarthy, I mean after he loses and the House members decide what to do next.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cimber posted:

So is McCarthy going to have to give fellatio daily to Matt Gaetz to become and keep the speakership? Apparently he's signing all sorts of devil's bargains to become speaker.

McCarthy is too old for Gertz ?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not talking a Dem running head-to-head against McCarthy, I mean after he loses and the House members decide what to do next.

The best case scenario for Dems is that they ally with a moderate Republican caucus to elect a member of that caucus speaker. The chances are still basically zero.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

evilweasel posted:

The best case scenario for Dems is that they ally with a moderate Republican caucus to elect a member of that caucus speaker. The chances are still basically zero.

I'm imagining a reverse of what was going on for years in the New York Senate, where the IDC caucused with Republicans.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

Problem Solvers, your moment is now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This is interesting: basically suggesting people don't actually plan to go to the mat for Kevin:

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1610074008698896384?s=46&t=tJU0onu5MzaWp-RjYj4cZg

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

evilweasel posted:

This is interesting: basically suggesting people don't actually plan to go to the mat for Kevin:

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1610074008698896384?s=46&t=tJU0onu5MzaWp-RjYj4cZg

Who the hell else even wants the job?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But, don't you see? If we have proportional representation with multiple parties, things will be too fractured and the government will be stuck at a permanent impasse!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Republicans posted:

...Hakeem Jeffries? :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Republicans posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1610054991498338305

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Republicans posted:

ol’ one ball himself, McCarthy’s loyal #2 Scalise

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Here comes Stevie with his pecker in his hand, he's a one ball man and he's off to the rodeo!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Republicans posted:

Andy Biggs, the current chair of the Freedom Caucus, appears to be the main challenger right now. It's unlikely that he has any real path to the speakership, but he seems to be well aware of that. The idea is that if they manage to block McCarthy long enough, someone else will inevitably be persuaded to enter the race, and I suspect the Freedom Caucus don't really care who as long as it's someone to the right of McCarthy. The important part is that they demonstrate their power and influence by knocking McCarthy out of the race.

The punditry seem to think Steve Scalise will be the one to pop up if McCarthy fails, since he's a highly-placed House GOP member who's acceptable to the Freedom Caucus as well as the moderates. But McCarthy's loyalists are reportedly pissed off at the Freedom Caucus blatantly flexing like this, so it's possible they might make things more complicated.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much each faction is willing to dig in their heels and gently caress with their rivals' picks out of sheer petty spite. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, since the moderate factions aren't usually that stubborn, but the GOP's narrow House margin holds a lot of potential for hilarity.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

ol’ one ball himself, McCarthy’s loyal #2 Scalise

Not sure if the Republicans are ready for 2 years minimum of "GOP-led House has no balls"-based headlines.

Main Paineframe posted:

The punditry seem to think Steve Scalise will be the one to pop up if McCarthy fails, since he's a highly-placed House GOP member who's acceptable to the Freedom Caucus as well as the moderates. But McCarthy's loyalists are reportedly pissed off at the Freedom Caucus blatantly flexing like this, so it's possible they might make things more complicated.

No idea why they'd even be surprised, the Freedom/Sedition/Raiders of the Tortilla Coast caucus has always tried to find ways to blow things up.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dumb question but is the speaker actually needed / a thing that's said in Da American Paper Bible, Da Constitution?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

PhazonLink posted:

dumb question but is the speaker actually needed / a thing that's said in Da American Paper Bible, Da Constitution?

Yes

quote:

If the first ballot fails to provide a speaker, lawmakers will continue to vote until a candidate receives a majority. Members can vote for different candidates each ballot. 

It's not common that there is more than one ballot, but it has happened.

In 1923, it took multiple ballots – nine – over the course of two months to elect a speaker. On three occasions prior to the Civil War, a speaker was not elected on the first ballot. In one instance, it took 133 ballots over a period of two months. 

As a last resort, lawmakers can adopt a resolution that would elect a speaker by a plurality or by rank-choice voting instead of a simple majority. 

"The important thing functionally is nothing else happens in the House until they have a speaker," Glassman said, adding that the House won't be able to adopt rules, assign committees or consider legislation until the speaker is chosen. 

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
rank-choice voting eh?

edit for some non white noise.

like I get there needs to be structure for bring bills up and stuff, but maybe it should just default to a first in first out pile/pipe line type deal.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Main Paineframe posted:

He's in California, so it's not like he has any real shot at getting elected to the Senate unless he moves to another state, which he can't really do because his political climb has been dependent on building up connections and patronage over a period of decades. And as long as the presidential candidates are coming from the Trump wing, all his old connections are gonna be worthless for getting him appointed positions.

The speakership is his only real shot at being more important than "just another House rep" in the next few years. And he can't give up on that ambition so easily - he's spent decades slowly building up to it, and then eight years building up his political support again after the Freedom Caucus came out of nowhere and torched his ambitions the first time around.

Kevin McCarthy came out of nowhere and torched his ambitions the first time around, let’s be clear

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Why does the Speaker have to be 218? Why can't it be just simple majority plurality? Seems like the party with the most cohesion and unity should be the ones to run things.

\/\/\/ Plurality, thanks.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Young Freud posted:

Why does the Speaker have to be 218? Why can't it be just simple majority? Seems like the party with the most cohesion and unity should be the ones to run things.

218 is a simple majority. Do you mean a plurality?