Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It really took the crowd out of the couple matches afterwards too. Here's hoping it's nothing serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Bentai posted:

It really took the crowd out of the couple matches afterwards too. Here's hoping it's nothing serious.

Midnight Sumo just mentioned that he'd been taken to hospital after getting wheeled out

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's awful.

Day 14 was a wild ride overall

Onosato still on track to fight for the yusho.
Kinbozan's crazy turnaround since his two-day kyujo got derailed by Tobizaru
Hoshoryu nearly executing a very clear and strong game plan against Kotonowaka, only to fall (in all senses) at the last hurdle
The crowd turning big time when Ura got DQ'd

Overall we're set for a very exciting final day. If Onosato loses I guess Takerufuji wins on crutches?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Beeswax posted:

That's awful.

Day 14 was a wild ride overall

Overall we're set for a very exciting final day. If Onosato loses I guess Takerufuji wins on crutches?

Yeah it was a hell of a thing to watch! I want so bad for Takerufuji to win on crutches. Not just for my fantasy sumo (which is already a writeoff I'm sure) but because it'd be historic as hell.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1771478977892233408?t=xgGL8DPJI3i-NzIXgF7J3w&s=19

That does not look like he's going to be able to compete tomorrow short of a miracle, what a freak twist of fate.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022
Day 14 results, also discussing Day 15 matchups.

Onosato is taking on Hoshoryu tomorrow, and Takerufuji is taking on Gonoyama. If Takerufuji is fusen, which looks incredibly likely, he goes to 12-3 and Gonoyama ends up on 11-4. If Hoshoryu beats Onosato, both of them also end up on 11-4.

Can you win the Emperor's Cup from a hospital bed?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Sending Takerufuji my energy, what a horrible way for a historic run to end. So if Onosato wins tomorrow and Takerufuji can't compete in the playoff does Onosato just get the yusho?

Sucks about Ura too I wanted to see him go KK in his hometown :smith:

Also lol my boy Gonoyama getting his third fusen

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wodin posted:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1771478977892233408?t=xgGL8DPJI3i-NzIXgF7J3w&s=19

That does not look like he's going to be able to compete tomorrow short of a miracle, what a freak twist of fate.

(Day 14)
Yeah, I thought it looked like ankle rather than knee. If you watch the replay, his right foot hits the edge of the dohyo and slides off in a very "that probably hurt" way.

Best comedy option: he gets a well-deserved yusho and they have to drive to hospital to hand him the cup. Best actual option: he's got a light sprain, tapes up tomorrow, and wins his last match as an exclamation point. Probable hell world we live in option: he has to show up on a severely sprained/broken ankle and somehow get through a match, which he'll lose, then a playoff too, because You Can't Just Not Show Up When You're Winning On The Last Day, Rub Some Clay On It.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Looks like they're treating it as an achilles injury, if it's ruptured that's probably a long stint on the sidelines

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Day 14: Devastated for my boy Ura. I think the hansoku was a fair call based on the replay, but drat, to not only lose the match on it but also for it to put him into MK. Sucks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'll be at work all night tonight so I just want to put this in now in case I'm too busy to do it later:

Trade Request: In the sadly likely event that he goes kyujo, I do not want to trade Takerufuji

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
That could be an all time sports tragedy, I'm holding out hope he can somehow fairytale ending this tomorrow but that's crushing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

YES screw you stinkman!
get out of these sweet young boys' way

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Surprised Takerufuji and Onosato are fighting so early in the day, I thought if there was a chance Takerufuji could wrap up the basho today they'd want it to be the last bout

Fight order is always determined by the rank of the highest ranked fighter. So if a M16 and M17 are fighting for the title it would still be the first fight of the day.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Looks like Takerufuji is going to compete:

https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1771746301220376864

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

God bless him. I only hope he doesn't screw up his leg even more. He has such a bright future ahead of him.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tbh I sorta feel bad for Gonoyama here. You don’t want to throw a fight, obviously, but you also don’t want to beat up an injured man.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Khizan posted:

Tbh I sorta feel bad for Gonoyama here. You don’t want to throw a fight, obviously, but you also don’t want to beat up an injured man.

Have they announced the special prizes yet? Half expecting them to award Gonoyama one contingent on winning

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Fighting Spirit and Technique to Onosato and Takerufuji both, and Outstanding Performance to the yusho winner.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

Have they announced the special prizes yet? Half expecting them to award Gonoyama one contingent on winning

Takerufuji and Onosato both get technique and fighting spiriit prizes, basho winner gets the outstanding performance as well.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nothing for Gonoyama? :smith:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Fighting Spirit and Technique to Onosato and Takerufuji both, and Outstanding Performance to the yusho winner.

pseudodragon posted:

Takerufuji and Onosato both get technique and fighting spiriit prizes, basho winner gets the outstanding performance as well.

Aw man that really sucks for Gonoyama :(

Lol that they're gonna give outstanding performance to just the yusho winner. Chuck it on the wheelbarrow of trophies.

Really want Takerufuji to take it but I suspect it's gonna need Hoshoryu to beat Onosato to make it happen. I don't think he's beating Gonoyama or winning a playoff bout but would be very happy to be proven wrong.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He’s 10-4 with two fusensho, so only 8 earned wins. Doesn’t really seem like a special prize winning performance to me.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Khizan posted:

He’s 10-4 with two fusensho, so only 8 earned wins. Doesn’t really seem like a special prize winning performance to me.

Yeah true I forgot he got lucky with two default wins (almost three)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

day 15 spoilers below. anyone else watching live on jme?

Takayasu yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i did not watch yeterday's matches as i got spoiled on the injury and it sounded like a huge bummer. amazed he's here based on what i heard

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Brut posted:

day 15 spoilers below. anyone else watching live on jme?

Takayasu yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

I got a dodgy stream with English commentary I'm watching it on

good outcome

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
__________110 years!__________

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I am so bad at predicting sumo. that was awesome as hell

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kinbozan probably shouldn't have come back from kyujo Actually he got most of his wins after coming back so maybe not, but he sure didn't look good in this last match, hopefully he's able to recover

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Good fight to finish things off, where was this Kirishima 2 weeks ago? Shame that gyoji is goingto have to commit seppuku for that lovely call.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

What a basho! Takerufuji walking wounded and beating Gonoyama for the yusho and nailing three special prizes and equalling a feat last seen over a century ago to boot in the process! Hoshoryu doing Hoshoryu things (chiefly, judo) and tossing Onosato like it was easy! Kirishima giving Kotonowaka a worthy send off before he returns, even more powerful as Kotozakura!

gently caress I love Sumo.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Fearless posted:

gently caress I love Sumo.

:hmmyes:

Went spoiler free as I had the Live NHK broadcast tivo'd, hadn't accounted for the yusho decider being so early in the card so their broadcast opened with Hiro telling us Takerufuji had made history and won already. What a performance and finish though, here's hoping he can come back healthy!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
13-2 moves in theory moves Takerufuji up 11 spots which puts him around m6. I would imagine they actually bump a couple more based on the 3 prizes and the yusho, so my guess is that he'll be m2 or m3.

Assuming he's healthy and can keep up this type of sumo, good chance he's sanyaku by EOY.

ALSO, Asanoyama should be komusubi in May. It's been quite a road back for him. I don't think he's putting up ozeki performances recently, but he's consistently a threat.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
he fucken did it. Really great final day.

Really good tournament for all my boys I think.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I didn't have a chance to watch the actual matches until just now.

The look on Takerufuji's face when he beat Gonoyama says a lot. Obviously it probably would have been safer/better to rest up and he still would have won the tournament probably, but you can tell how much it meant to him, so it's not a huge surprise he took matters into his own hands.

Also, Takayasu quietly putting up eleven wins to wind up in a three way tie for second. Papa Bear still has it in him. Maybe there's hope for him to get a Yusho, though the competition doesn't seem to be getting any easier.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Going from absolute chaos basho to blessed basho. Amazing. What a goddamn two weeks.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Takerufuji's story is one for the ages.

Also that last bout was basically Kirishima saying "I may have had a lousy basho, but I've still got it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Overall thoughts on this basho and Day 15, typed stream of thought as I watched:

Kitanowaka tanked my score but that's fine, kid did okay for a first foray into top-division work. I hope we'll see him again. There were moments of competence among the sea of disappointment.

This basho contained an acceptable, though less than preferred, amount of Ryuden eating poo poo.

Poor Endo. :( Dude clearly just needs a break to get well again.

Chaos Shodai pulls off the gentleman's C of sumo scores, of course.

Glad to see Kotoshoho get a last-minute KK as well, and with a sweet as hell move at the rope. I like Roga's style and want to see more of him. Hopefully he's got enough rank padding to stay up at -1; I haven't followed Juryo at all this time so I'm not sure how many dudes did well from the top.

Shonannoumi quietly had a very solid basho and nearly got a 10-5. If the Muppet Team isn't possible next month I may have to pick him. I suspect he'll do fine wherever he lands.

It's been a real pleasure to see Daiamami back in Makuuchi. He was a fixture when I started watching, and it's great to see he's still got it - mostly.

Excellent basho from Best Bear Takayasu. He didn't challenge for the cup, but that's probably better for his mental health anyhow.

HOLY gently caress Takerufuji pulled it off. With convincing sumo, clearly adjusted to what his ankle could do but drat he looked good doing it. Bravo! Now I very much hope he hasn't hosed up his ankle permanently.

...was that his mom and dad who hugged him in the entryway as he left? Is he so low-ranked he couldn't even pull tickets for his parents? If so, that's hilarious.

Midorifuji and Sadanoumi have both caught my attention this basho for some really good technical work, despite very mid results. I think the better fighter (this basho) got the win today, but I'm glad to see both men having solid showings.

Onosho hasn't always been my favorite. But he's showing a little more technical breadth lately - probably becuase he can't just bulldoze anymore - and he looked good against Tobi today. I doubt he'll ever make Ozeki, but he can probably manage a year or two in Sanyaku if he stays this healthy.

Oho continues to struggle in upper Maegashira. I hope he can clear that hurdle and pusl into Sanyaku. He's got an ideal physique and clearly has good instincts.

Ura also struggles at higher levels, but with two half-knees and ten years on Oho that's way less surprising. I'm glad he keeps at it, though. Him pulling out some obscure kimarite is a highlight every time.

Nishikigi deserves better than 3-12. And he treated the obviously hurting Kinbozan very gently this match, because he's a super nice guy. At last he started with a kinboshi to bump up his salary every basho going forward, but there wasn't much else to cheer about his sumo this time. :(

Yup, I still fuckin' hate Abi. His sumo is sloppy, his footwork is like a frog in a frying pan, and he shouldn't succeed nearly as much as he does.

I think the concerns about Asanoyama returning to Ozeki are well-founded. He's fragile, and while he had moments of dominance this basho they were mostly against the youngest, least experienced guys. I dunno, maybe he'll do it - but I don't think it'll be before July of next year.

Hiradoumi continues to impress me with absolutely frenetic speed and massive strength. I still think this kid'll go far.

I got default-drafted into Daieisho and I'm kinda mad about it, but whatever. Dude's skilled, he just had a so-so basho this time.

I was really cheering for Onosato to get the final win against Hoshoryu, but he lost in good fashion - clearly overpowering the Ozeki and losing to superior technique at the rope. Stay healthy, Onosato, and maybe stealthily trim your hair so you can get a yusho before you get a topknot.

He didn't take the cup, but an excellent final basho for shin-Ozeki Kotonowaka. I look forward to Kotozakura taking up the reins and driving for the rope!

Kirishima showed none of the injury/slowness/whatever that had him down all basho in this match. Best fight of the day, actually, and what a sweet move to finish it off. I look forward to Kimura Shonosuke authoring Yet Another Resignation Offer to the JSA for rejection. I wonder if he just forgot which side Kiri was on at the start of the match again?