Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I had a ton of fun this basho!

Also the guy narrating the end of grand sumo highlights sounds like some sort of quaalude elemental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

Overall thoughts on this basho and Day 15, typed stream of thought as I watched:

Kitanowaka tanked my score but that's fine, kid did okay for a first foray into top-division work. I hope we'll see him again. There were moments of competence among the sea of disappointment.

This basho contained an acceptable, though less than preferred, amount of Ryuden eating poo poo.

Poor Endo. :( Dude clearly just needs a break to get well again.

Chaos Shodai pulls off the gentleman's C of sumo scores, of course.

Glad to see Kotoshoho get a last-minute KK as well, and with a sweet as hell move at the rope. I like Roga's style and want to see more of him. Hopefully he's got enough rank padding to stay up at -1; I haven't followed Juryo at all this time so I'm not sure how many dudes did well from the top.

Shonannoumi quietly had a very solid basho and nearly got a 10-5. If the Muppet Team isn't possible next month I may have to pick him. I suspect he'll do fine wherever he lands.

It's been a real pleasure to see Daiamami back in Makuuchi. He was a fixture when I started watching, and it's great to see he's still got it - mostly.

Excellent basho from Best Bear Takayasu. He didn't challenge for the cup, but that's probably better for his mental health anyhow.

HOLY gently caress Takerufuji pulled it off. With convincing sumo, clearly adjusted to what his ankle could do but drat he looked good doing it. Bravo! Now I very much hope he hasn't hosed up his ankle permanently.

...was that his mom and dad who hugged him in the entryway as he left? Is he so low-ranked he couldn't even pull tickets for his parents? If so, that's hilarious.

Midorifuji and Sadanoumi have both caught my attention this basho for some really good technical work, despite very mid results. I think the better fighter (this basho) got the win today, but I'm glad to see both men having solid showings.

Onosho hasn't always been my favorite. But he's showing a little more technical breadth lately - probably becuase he can't just bulldoze anymore - and he looked good against Tobi today. I doubt he'll ever make Ozeki, but he can probably manage a year or two in Sanyaku if he stays this healthy.

Oho continues to struggle in upper Maegashira. I hope he can clear that hurdle and pusl into Sanyaku. He's got an ideal physique and clearly has good instincts.

Ura also struggles at higher levels, but with two half-knees and ten years on Oho that's way less surprising. I'm glad he keeps at it, though. Him pulling out some obscure kimarite is a highlight every time.

Nishikigi deserves better than 3-12. And he treated the obviously hurting Kinbozan very gently this match, because he's a super nice guy. At last he started with a kinboshi to bump up his salary every basho going forward, but there wasn't much else to cheer about his sumo this time. :(

Yup, I still fuckin' hate Abi. His sumo is sloppy, his footwork is like a frog in a frying pan, and he shouldn't succeed nearly as much as he does.

I think the concerns about Asanoyama returning to Ozeki are well-founded. He's fragile, and while he had moments of dominance this basho they were mostly against the youngest, least experienced guys. I dunno, maybe he'll do it - but I don't think it'll be before July of next year.

Hiradoumi continues to impress me with absolutely frenetic speed and massive strength. I still think this kid'll go far.

I got default-drafted into Daieisho and I'm kinda mad about it, but whatever. Dude's skilled, he just had a so-so basho this time.

I was really cheering for Onosato to get the final win against Hoshoryu, but he lost in good fashion - clearly overpowering the Ozeki and losing to superior technique at the rope. Stay healthy, Onosato, and maybe stealthily trim your hair so you can get a yusho before you get a topknot.

He didn't take the cup, but an excellent final basho for shin-Ozeki Kotonowaka. I look forward to Kotozakura taking up the reins and driving for the rope!

Kirishima showed none of the injury/slowness/whatever that had him down all basho in this match. Best fight of the day, actually, and what a sweet move to finish it off. I look forward to Kimura Shonosuke authoring Yet Another Resignation Offer to the JSA for rejection. I wonder if he just forgot which side Kiri was on at the start of the match again?

I really these long point by point thoughts/posts of yours :)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wooooo Takerufuji!!!

Mrs Mikiya's baby boy coming up with the goods!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

13-2 moves in theory moves Takerufuji up 11 spots which puts him around m6. I would imagine they actually bump a couple more based on the 3 prizes and the yusho, so my guess is that he'll be m2 or m3.

Assuming he's healthy and can keep up this type of sumo, good chance he's sanyaku by EOY.

ALSO, Asanoyama should be komusubi in May. It's been quite a road back for him. I don't think he's putting up ozeki performances recently, but he's consistently a threat.

May banzuke predictions:

There's no room at M1-3 unless someone gets turbofucked. M4 is a possibility but

Rough banzuke would have the same Y/O

S: Waka/Abi locked in
K: Asanoyama/Onosato unless they do something super weird

M1-3 are all spoken for. Atamifuji has his M2e 8-7 to lock up an M1 spot. M4e Tobizaru going 8-7 also locks up a spot. Hiradoumi going 9-6 from M4w not getting a spot would be ridiculous. The worst a 6 win Sekiwake has ever dropped is M3e once in 1944 so Daiesho is here somewhere. Gonoyama and Takayasu have double digit wins that calculate to M1. Basho or not, I don't think an extra 2 wins is enough to leapfrog 9 spots on the banzuke.

M4: the logical landing spots for Ura and Oho. Maybe, but unlikely.

M5: Meisei and Onosho have claims to the spot but we're getting to the crowded part where a spot or two

If Atamifuji had done enough to claim the second K spot so they could justify creating K2e for Onosato that might have opened up a bonus spot for him where the could have moved him up without overdemoting/under promoting anyone else.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Fun basho.

Justice for Ura :mad:

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

That was a fun basho. Rare kimarite and authoritative throws are my favorite things in sumo and I feel like we've been getting a lot of those lately.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My stable is absolutely devastated by chaos basho, but it was a ton of fun to watch. ||Excellent work on Takerufuji, I was scared for him with the injury.||

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Also the guy narrating the end of grand sumo highlights sounds like some sort of quaalude elemental.
It's so weird that all the other English voiceovers are normal and that one alone is always that snoozy dude. Good for a reliable laugh, anyway.

Which one of you was in the stands bellowing SHODAI alone above the entire crowd before his bout?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hirayuki posted:

Which one of you was in the stands bellowing SHODAI alone above the entire crowd before his bout?

It was all of us, in spirit at least.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

It's so weird that all the other English voiceovers are normal and that one alone is always that snoozy dude. Good for a reliable laugh, anyway.

It was me about a week ago but not recently. I'm glad someone took up the mantle, at least.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

With the basho over, what interbasho drama is there on the plate for the next 2 months? Seems like it's going to be eventful.

Sanyaku seems pretty straightforward with Asanoyama making his return 3 years after his last active basho at Ozeki. He'll get his Kumosunpbi return in his 12th basho back. And I guess we can have hair watch for Onosato to see if he can have a topknot for his likely sanyaku debut.

Promotion wise, there's no exciting super prospects coming up and Waka/Hakuoho didn't earn a return, but it's the finale for the Endo era.

In fun news, we get to wait to see if we saw the last of Kotonowaka.

There's the end of Michinoku stable and their move over to Otowayama. Michinoku is going to stick around as a consultant so hopefully Kiri can bounce back once the stability is there. I'd be worried about Kak expanding too fast for a new stablemaster to keep on top of everything, but having Michinoku around should alleviate that.

And then there's the Hak mess.

Anything else to follow between now and May?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sounds like the League of Extraordinary Sujoshi (YDC) met:
https://www.zakzak.co.jp/article/20240325-LY6DWGL2NFM2RHU774CM4CPTKE/

DeepL posted:

Masayuki Yamauchi, chairman of the Yokozuna Judges' Committee, at the regular meeting at Ryogoku Kokugikan, praises Terunofuji's attitude as a yokozuna after his absence from the Spring Tournament, saying, "He should be able to wrestle his true self as soon as possible.

The yokozuna judging committee held its regular meeting at the Ryogoku Kokugikan on May 25, and gave encouragement to yokozuna Terunofuji (32), who was absent from the tournament again.

Takerufuji became the first new makuuchi to win the spring tournament in 100 years, and Masayuki Yamauchi, professor emeritus at the University of Tokyo, said, "Takerufuji's and Onosato's successes were greatly appreciated. The future of sumo is very bright, and there are encouraging signs that a new segment of sumo's popularity may be developing.

On the other hand, he said, "Sumo society is composed of yokozuna, ozeki, and the ranks below them. It was unfortunate that yokozuna had to take a leave of absence during the tournament. The ozeki ranks have not been very energetic and have been sluggish. The fact that the ozeki and other san'yaku were easily beaten by lower-ranked rikishi means that the possibility of an ozeki's promotion to yokozuna in the near future is remote. It is also true that yokozuna are lacking in another sense in the history and current state of sumo, where the yokozuna have the weight of the East and West together. In the next tournament, I sincerely hope that the yokozuna and ozeki will rise to the occasion and that the san'yaku will put up a good fight. Needless to say, I hope that Takanofuji, Onosato, and other promising young rikishi will be promoted to higher ranks in the ranking chart, and that sumo will become more vibrant and improve further."

"Terunofuji, who had made a comeback in the first tournament, suffered four losses on the sixth day of the spring tournament and was absent from the tournament from the seventh day. Terunofuji competed in two consecutive tournaments. He had achieved a victory in the last tournament. This tournament, he may have been tired from the previous tournament and suffered some aftereffects, but it is regrettable that he suffered a string of five defeats (including a non-fighting loss). However, as Terunofuji did, he tried to fulfill his responsibilities as yokozuna until the end of the tournament, which is highly commendable. The Yokozuna Judging Committee is filled with hope that Terunofuji's health and recovery from his injuries will be an extension of his good fight and efforts, and that he will overcome his injuries and become the sumo champion he was meant to be as soon as possible. We are filled with hope that Terunofuji will recover and overcome his health and injuries as quickly as possible, and we wish him the best of luck in his recovery."

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao how did a "takanofuji" sneak in to that quote (I know the answer is auto translation, but it's still weird)

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Take all the time you need Kenning and thanks for running the fantasy all these years!

Since I don't know how the exact goonzuke or how the requested trades and auto-trades would have panned out, here's an alternative and strictly hypothetical no-trades ride-and-die basho with all your initial picks.

Split into what I think are our current Makuuchi/Juryo divisions:

The complete detailed tracker:

Here is what the best and worst possible team (without deliberate self-tanking, i.e. choosing Hokuseiho in Juryo) would have looked like.
Congratulations Beexoffel for getting a near maximum 78.5 out of 81 points!

Thanks to whoever gathered up all the past champions' names. Consider this our very own yusho portraits gallery.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What's that last column?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Whoops. Just ignore that. Formula for checking for unbreakable ties.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Banana Canada posted:

Take all the time you need Kenning and thanks for running the fantasy all these years!
<stats>

Really cool Banana, but do the trackers account for trades?

Edit: Thanks Khizan.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 25, 2024

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning hasn’t announced the official trade results yet, so they can’t be counted.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh my goodness

https://x.com/QVqd32432/status/1771712176891269388?s=20

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Onosato and Hakuoho both have the most amazing hair. It's a travesty they'll be locked behind a chonmage for years.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I love that I'm on here under the "unofficial" label, like I'm the younger brother whose brothers have been told oh let him win at least one by their mother.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Very many thanks to both Kenning and Banana Canada for their work on running the fantasy sumo basho and the preliminary results. My stable as a whole experienced a bit of a setback what with Kirishima and Daiesho experiencing the challenges that they did, but I appreciate the fighting spirit and skill of both rikishi and am confident that they will recover in short order (though if they need time to rest, I encourage them to do so). Takerufuji's run was absolutely staggering and it was a real joy to see him equal a feat that has not been achieved in over a century-- and he did it with a banged up ankle while managing to subdue Gonoyama, who is swiftly demonstrating that he belongs in the upper maegashira and is never to be taken lightly. I'd also like to recognize Hakuoho's performance in Juryo: it sounds like he has found himself thrust into a leadership role in Miyagino-beya, and that plus all of the other stories swirling around his stable at the moment have to have put an immense amount of pressure on his shoulders. In addition to this, he is still working his way back from a six month recovery from surgery. That he performed at the level he did through all of that is downright impressive to me and am keen to see what he is able to do in the coming months and years.

E: Also, Kenning take your time. Life happens.

E2: If Juryo is supposed to be a tie breaker, I believe that Saturnine Aberrance is actually ahead of me (their Juryo pick scored more wins than mine) and thus there is no tie for 12th. But I am also lamentably bad at math so I may be mistaken and if so mea culpa.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 25, 2024

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I totally expected my trade for Shodai to be another catastrophe with Kinbozan coming back after a day but it netted me a whole half a point from what I can tell :sun:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I resolved to stick with Nishikigi instead of trading him, and it hurt my stable. It hurt it very much. I will ganbarize and train in the off-season as I perfect my brand of sumo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://x.com/tachiai_blog/status/1772393214281916500?s=20

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Of course I follow up a yusho with a losing score!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
barely squeaked out kachikoshi this tournament! drafting Hokutofuji has once again cost me many points, but i'm glad i got to see him win on the final day. really enjoyed having Hoshoryu on my team!

EDIT: thanks for indulging my sumo fantasies, Kenning and Banana Canada! congratulations to the winning fantasizers, especially those of you who drafted Takerufuji for his historic triumph

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 26, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thanks for running everything again guys!

I'd like to say I won with skill and insight but it was all luck. Takerufuji and Onosato were super popular picks because rooting for rising stars is cool and winning the lottery for both carried the day. Takayasu was a sentimental pick came through as well giving me the best picks from the maegashira ranks. I've been picking Koto all the way from his rise through his early promotion and I wanted to cheer for him if this turned out to be his last basho as Kotonowaka.

Daiesho was the only one I picked because I thought he'd do well since he's been Mr Consistent and he turned out to have the worst tourney..

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think the real friends are the henkas we made along the way :shobon:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Big thanks to Kenning and Banana Canada for another fun bout of fantasy sumo. :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I resolved to stick with Nishikigi instead of trading him, and it hurt my stable. It hurt it very much. I will ganbarize and train in the off-season as I perfect my brand of sumo.

Hey, try having both Nishikigi and Kirishima.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I did :negative:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I did :(

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ooof, I was really disappointed in Kirishima, I'm not one to trade but he was so out of sorts I couldn't stick with him. Here's hoping he has a much, much better May basho.

EDIT: I wonder what is up with Endo, usually a solid Makuuchi wrestler his last three bashos have all been 5-10 and he'll probably drop into Juryo for May.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 26, 2024

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

https://twitter.com/OneLoveLulit/status/1772582777344430511?t=NdBy7N_Wub5uynJy9VgyRg&s=19

Important SHODAI update: he looks hilarious in sunglasses

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hearty chuckle

edit: i never lol so please understand that what i'm saying is this rules

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 26, 2024

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

EDIT: I wonder what is up with Endo, usually a solid Makuuchi wrestler his last three bashos have all been 5-10 and he'll probably drop into Juryo for May.

In Endo's case it could be an unfortunate but terminal case of "Is a 33 year old rikishi".

He managed to lock up a Kabu super early so he's set if this is the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao