Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Shodai is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1772647183067865237

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Sunglasses SHODAI is peak avatar material.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

In Endo's case it could be an unfortunate but terminal case of "Is a 33 year old rikishi".

He managed to lock up a Kabu super early so he's set if this is the end.

Perhaps, but it seems such a sudden and quite drastic drop off. It's a bit sad really because he's got the ability to be an upper Maegashira wrestler.

I'm glad Goeido is doing well.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I started watching while Asanoyama and Endo were both climbing in mid-maegashira in identical purple mawashi and I could absolutely not tell them apart but immediately filed them both away as "very good at sumo". Quite the rollercoaster ride for both of them since then.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I normally have a very good memory in general but something about sumo just wrecks it because I swear Kakuryu was already a shimpan

:psyduck:

Also wasn't Aoiyama the guy who was badly injured in January and everyone thought he'd miss multiple bashos and get demoted so far that he'd basically be forced to retire since he'd be returning at such a low rank? And then he came back this past basho and somehow did pretty well anyway?

Or was that someone else?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chris Sumo posted this on his patreon:

quote:

7 men were in contention just 3 days ago, but only 4 finally got over the heavenly second division line.

Coming up from Division 3 are:

Chiyomaru, Onokatsu, Tsukahara and Kazekeno. Tsukahara will be renamed Tochitaikai.

Missing out, only just, are:

Kayo, Nabatame and Kototebakari

Going down from Division 2 are:

Akua, Kitaharima and Kotoeko

The 4th slot was opened by Hokuseiho's retirement.

Finally, in addition to Terutsuyoshi and Hokuseiho, 15 more retirements have been announced - some of which (Keitenkai, Kotokiho) we knew about and others we did not (Mitakeumi's attendant Kairyu and bow-twirler Yuki, who is Michinoku til the end and will not be joining the Otowayama adventure).

Yuki, as well as Kairyu and Okinofuji (the proud Okinoshiman who starred in that traditional sumo bout with Okinoumi last year) will be kept on as sumo staff.

Kotoeko has NOT retired, and neither have Enho or Kiho yet, but the Tochikamiyama rumors were true. He IS on the retirements list - and, UPDATE, it looks AWFULLY bad for sumo.

On Feb 14th, Kamiyama's father changed his social media profile picture to one of his son posing with the junior high school yokozuna's roped belt. He did this because his son had just fled the stable and turned up at his house, claiming his master had screwed him over.

Conscious of the Hokuseiho situation that very week, Kamiyama finally decided to call out Tochimusashi for his violent behavior after being kicked and punched several times too many. Coach Kasugano (who voted on Hokuseiho's and Hakuho's punishments just days later) reluctantly reported the matter to sumo compliance chiefs, but claimed it had already been settled. His settlement? EXACTLY what Hakuho tried to do with Hokuseiho: make Tochimusashi have a shoulder operation and tell him to come back two tournaments later! But, pissed off with Kamiyama for breaking the sumo code, he forced Kamiyama to retire. At which point Kamiyama stormed out and another fine talent was lost to the sport.

Kasugano this week was reelected to the sumo board and helped re-elect to the Chairman's seat Hakkaku, who again promised to "eradicate stable violence" without mentioning Kasugano. Try not to swear, guys.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2024

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

Going down from Division 2 are:

Akua ... Kotoeko

Dark days

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

bessantj posted:

Christ Sumo

He wasn't dead, just having a longer than usual post lunch nap

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Single Tight Female posted:

I think it was my mental comment after reading the patreon post. Christ, sumo.

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?

Single Tight Female posted:

Not to worry, he'll be back on his feet by Sunday.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kennedy posted:

Not to worry, he'll be back on his feet by Sunday.

Heck, probably sooner with "encouragement" from the YDC.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Beeswax posted:

Dark days

Yeah, I liked watching him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bessantj posted:

Chris Sumo posted this on his patreon:

The hypocrisy should surprise me, but it never, ever does.

Bit of history on Kasugano Oyakata (former Tochinowaka):

He was formally warned in 2011 after beating three rikishi (one of whom was Tochinoshin) with a golf club for curfew violations, and had one of his junior rikishi convicted in 2014 of assault on another rikishi and given a 3 year jail sentence. The victim later sued him for his negligence.

That there hasn't been immediate uproar over this is an ongoing indication of the JSA's desire to single out Hakuho for reasons other than his conduct.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

thank you onosato for carrying my otherwise terrible team i can't believe i didn't end up in the bottom 10 with how i started

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Randomly came across this guy and I think we all need to take a minute to appreciate the neck game going on here...

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Keep that man away from Abi at all costs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

some kinda jackal posted:

Randomly came across this guy and I think we all need to take a minute to appreciate the neck game going on here...

Takanoyama was the proto-Enho with how insane his judo technical takedowns were for being such a smallbodied guy

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As a note, that “small bodied guy” is 6’2” and 210lbs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Khizan posted:

As a note, that “small bodied guy” is 6’2” and 210lbs.

Donald Trump??

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202403270001279.html

I haven't seen any reputable English translations yet, but it looks like the Miyagino boys are moving to Isegahama-beya.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://x.com/tachiai_blog/status/1773315865036947460?s=20

yeah and taichiai's take is that they're really not trying to push hakuho out and that he can go back to running his own heya at some point

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's a rat loving no matter what they say

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It's a rat loving no matter what they say

Yes. The idea that, because of a bullying scandal, Miyagino has to be adsorbed into a beya which very recently had a bullying scandal of it own is borderline insane.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 28, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bessantj posted:

Yes. The idea that, because of a bullying scandal, Myagino has to be adsorbed into a beya which very recently had a bullying scandal of it own is borderline insane.

Eh I get what you mean but it's the ichimon head stable and really there's not many options without going outside the ichimon.

Ajigawa makes no sense (Aminishiki's stable) and it's just an isegahama split off anyway.
Asahiyama only has very low wrestlers, don't know much about the stable otherwise.
Asakayama has a few guys in Makushita and is run by Kaio who is quite respected as I understand, probably the second choice after Isegahama.
Oshima only has 1 guy in mid Makushita, and whilte it isn't really a strong candidate on the merits, I suspect with former Kyokutenho being Mongolian it was never really considered for this.

And that's it, add Miyagino and Isegahama itself and that's the entire ichimon, not many options.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

According to Chris, it's being widely reported in Japanese media that the JSA directors vetoed the original plan to send the guys to Oshima-beya and Hakuho only to Isegahama because, among other reasons, "They didn't want the Mongolians teaming up."

Also because they don't want Hakuho loyalists all quitting in response, and because Isegahama has space to take them. But let's not bury the lede here.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Eh I get what you mean but it's the ichimon head stable and really there's not many options without going outside the ichimon.

Ajigawa makes no sense (Aminishiki's stable) and it's just an isegahama split off anyway.
Asahiyama only has very low wrestlers, don't know much about the stable otherwise.
Asakayama has a few guys in Makushita and is run by Kaio who is quite respected as I understand, probably the second choice after Isegahama.
Oshima only has 1 guy in mid Makushita, and whilte it isn't really a strong candidate on the merits, I suspect with former Kyokutenho being Mongolian it was never really considered for this.

And that's it, add Miyagino and Isegahama itself and that's the entire ichimon, not many options.

I think it just irks me how brazen it is that the JSA are going after Miyagino.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

From what I read off Kinta on sumo forum, Asakayama was the first choice but he's only got 9 people in a small building compared to the 17 Miyagino so he doesn't have the space for them. They will physically and officially be in Isegehama but Asakayama is going to be active in the process as well.

If they are going to merge Miyagino with someone, Isegehama's the only one that really works. The others are all smaller heya so it would be a Miyagino takeover rather than the other way around. And Asakayama/Isegehama are the only ones with the gravitas to boss Hakuoho around as the only ones that actually out-ranked pre-demotion Hak in the elder structure. Like is Hak going to listen to a 50 year old Sekiwake who's never gotten anything more than seniority promotions?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also, Isegahama has been an extremely successful stable, and Isegahama-oyakata in particular is a former yokozuna who taught Hakuho the dohyo-iri and who trained Haramafuji, a former yokozuna and the wrestler who's won the most bouts against Hakuho. If you wanted to find one person in the JSA that Hakuho might respect enough to learn from, it would be pretty hard to do better than Isegahama.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Khizan posted:

Also, Isegahama has been an extremely successful stable, and Isegahama-oyakata in particular is a former yokozuna who taught Hakuho the dohyo-iri and who trained Haramafuji, a former yokozuna and the wrestler who's won the most bouts against Hakuho.

Harumafuji was also force-retired due to violence, and Isegahama-beya has had two recent violence scandals. So uh, yeah, way to put all your eggs in the hydraulic press guys.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Meanwhile Kasugano, who voted on this, has a prior record of assaulting his rikishi and having one of them go to prison for assault, and now has his own current violence issues come to light that were happening at the same time.

It's the world's most obvious ratfucking.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bartolimu posted:

According to Chris, it's being widely reported in Japanese media that the JSA directors vetoed the original plan to send the guys to Oshima-beya and Hakuho only to Isegahama because, among other reasons, "They didn't want the Mongolians teaming up."

Also because they don't want Hakuho loyalists all quitting in response, and because Isegahama has space to take them. But let's not bury the lede here.

i think it's better that hakuho gets to stay with his guys tbh *if* its true that they want this to be a learning experience and for him to take back control in the not too distant future. because i do think he deserves that but y'lnow i can't say repercussions weren't deserved here even if it's also fair to call out the double standard

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

As a spectator, I'm a bit sad that it cheats us out of prime Hakuoho vs. Terunofuji/Takerufuji/Atamifuji. Those were going to be some awesome matches and now we'll never get to see them because they'll be stablemates.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

wodin posted:

As a spectator, I'm a bit sad that it cheats us out of prime Hakuoho vs. Terunofuji/Takerufuji/Atamifuji. Those were going to be some awesome matches and now we'll never get to see them because they'll be stablemates.

I initially read this as Hakuho and was very confused as to what you're talking about. Now that I understood it, fuuuuuuuuck, I didn't think of that. That sucks.

Well, maybe not never, if Hakuho gets his stable/wrestlers back in lets say a year, should still be plenty of time right?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

wodin posted:

I was thinking that but then realised miyagino basically has no makuuchi guys anymore anyway

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Communist Thoughts posted:

I was thinking that but then realised miyagino basically has no makuuchi guys anymore anyway

I mean I think both Hakuoho (formerly Ochiai) and Tenshoho (formerly Mukainakano) will be up in makuuchi within a year. Tenshoho had a 3-5 this time at Makushita 1 so he's not gonna be Juryo next tournament but half of that was running into people on the main character progression arc (most notably Onokatsu)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Have there been any updates on Takerufuji's injury? Curious if he'll be good for May.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Nativity In Black posted:

Have there been any updates on Takerufuji's injury? Curious if he'll be good for May.

Sprained ankle and unspecified ankle ligament injury according to Chris Sumo: https://youtu.be/Csd9W6FW_Ao

Going to miss the tour but no word on missing May

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Banana Canada posted:

Congratulations Beexoffel for getting a near maximum 78.5 out of 81 points!

Thanks Banana Canada!
I am surprised myself - I seem to switch between bottom and top of the Juryo list going from tournament to tournament. Picking Takerufuji was lucky! I think I just looked at the banzuke, saw his portrait and thought "This looks like a guy who means business!".

I hope he recovers soon from his injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I... may be in Fukuoka just in time to catch Day 14 or 15 of the November basho.

What's the process for getting tickets again? Looking to get tickets for the areas with actual seats and tables.