Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

anakha posted:

I... may be in Fukuoka just in time to catch Day 14 or 15 of the November basho.

What's the process for getting tickets again? Looking to get tickets for the areas with actual seats and tables.

I just used Buy Sumo Tickets and it was totally seamless, good communication etc and the tickets were delivered to our hotel. They'll take your preferences for day/area, I'm not sure if Fukuoka is set up the same as the Kokugikan with the 3 levels of seats but I'd trust them to keep you right. IMO the booths were great, being able to bring food and drinks in was well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anakha posted:

I... may be in Fukuoka just in time to catch Day 14 or 15 of the November basho.

What's the process for getting tickets again? Looking to get tickets for the areas with actual seats and tables.

Hell yeah, I’ll see you there!

I also used buysumotickets.com and have nothing negative to say. Very seamless.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kousei Motomura 元村康誠 (kid on the left) has joined Hidenoyama-beya (Kotoshogiku), should be introduced in May.
https://twitter.com/boss_jonokuchi/status/1774751747002835357

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope that kid clowns Abi

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 2, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bentai posted:

Kousei Motomura 元村康誠 (kid on the left) has joined Hidenoyama-beya (Kotoshogiku), should be introduced in May.
https://twitter.com/boss_jonokuchi/status/1774751747002835357

When's the match footage from?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Brut posted:

When's the match footage from?
Looks like it was from one of the Hakuho Cup tournaments, he was on team Kotoshogiku.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bentai posted:

Looks like it was from one of the Hakuho Cup tournaments, he was on team Kotoshogiku.

I'm wondering how many years have gone by though, I can probably figure out how current age but how old was he in the footage?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Some more hunting says it's from 2019. He won the technique prize for that win.
https://www.saga-s.co.jp/articles/-/345646

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bentai posted:

Some more hunting says it's from 2019. He won the technique prize for that win.
https://www.saga-s.co.jp/articles/-/345646

gently caress, time is still broken. Looked at that article that said the kid was in 4th grade at the time and thought "isn't grade 7 a little young?" Before remembering how many years it's been.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1775335523135148181

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is absolutely cursed but drat if I don't want to code up a slot-machine style sumo face generator now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just saw my first sumo tourney (or I'm most of the way through it anyway-- the March Grand Sumo as shown on NHK youtube). I had watched a little bit of sumo without context, knew a little from stuff online, etc., so I decided to take a diversion to watch Hakuho.

Is all the stuff in the OP about that nasty forearm strike he leveled a guy with? Was he sort of a flashpoint of the push between elite athletics and all the shinto cultural project stuff?

And back to the Grand Sumo, does Ura's pink mawashi signify anything? I remember hearing that purple was something you had to earn, but he's the only one I see in pink.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I thought he chose pink simply to annoy the old men who run the show

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've noticed a fair number of the guys with "fuji" in their names wear shades of purple, fuji (with a different kanji) being Japanese for wisteria (which has purple flowers). Maybe just a coincidence, but Japanese folks do love their wordplay.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Sometimes it's wordplay, sometimes it's their school colors or something, sometimes it's that an expensive fabric was donated by a supporter. I remember Kotoeko used to use pink too, don't know if it meant anything specific for him, or if it does to Ura.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Chris recently did a video about Ishiura and mentioned that he wore a gold mawashi that was donated by a patron who wanted to invoke the color of sand dunes in Ishiura's native Tottori.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And Kagayaki's gold mawashi is especially fitting, given his name means "glitter" or "glow."

I thought black mawashi were reserved for yokozuna, until that rear end in a top hat Ryuden showed up wearing one. Maybe black is not that exclusive, or maybe what reads as black is actually very dark blue or purple or gray.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Has anyone demoted to juryo ever been financially ruined because they were living too high on the hog with their makuuchi money?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hirayuki posted:

And Kagayaki's gold mawashi is especially fitting, given his name means "glitter" or "glow."

I thought black mawashi were reserved for yokozuna, until that rear end in a top hat Ryuden showed up wearing one. Maybe black is not that exclusive, or maybe what reads as black is actually very dark blue or purple or gray.

I believe the only restricted color is white. Any other color is allowed for salaried rikishi. For practice mawashi, salaried guys get to wear off-white and unsalaried wear black, both in cotton. The only true-white belt worn on the dohyo is the yokozuna's rope.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

According to Tachiai.org, when it comes to Sekitori their competition mawashi must be either dark blue or dark purple, but the rule has been ignored by both the rikishi and the association since the advent of colour television, so really it can be any colour you want

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has anyone demoted to juryo ever been financially ruined because they were living too high on the hog with their makuuchi money?

to Juryo? Doubt it. The salary difference between Juryo and Makuuchi is not that big, it goes up a little bit when you reach sanyaku, but Maegashira rank wrestlers are paid (crudely converted to dollars) about 14 grand a month and Juryo about 11 grand.

Probably tons of wrestlers who didn't manage their money well before dropping from Juryo to Makushita, where there is an "allowance" of around 1000 a month instead of a salary.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looking forward to the tongue wagging and pearl clutching when a rikishi debuts a two-tone mawashi

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Companies desperately pitching that there is tons of space to place ads on a mawashi and one day we wake up to see Cup Noodles on someone's crotch.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Or we get extremely unlucky and the JSA decides to partner with sports-betting services after all and we wind up spending 20% of our time watching Sumo also consuming gambling advertisement. Just like the NHL!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
fanduel logo sculpted into the sides of the dohyo, fights paused so that the yobidashis try to rebuild it after a rikishi's big foot stomps through it while try to not get chucked into the second row

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Putting a prop bet on every Abi match for "will start with a two armed thrust" and then losing my entire life's savings when he pulls a henka.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Shiroc posted:

Putting a prop bet on every Abi match for "will start with a two armed thrust" and then losing my entire life's savings when he pulls a henka.

bankrupting a bookie because I’m the one person who picked the right obscure kimarite for an Ura win

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

one of the mainstream us online books (draftkings i think?) used to have sumo betting for like one or two basho . just simple who will win bets ofc. made a bit of money but they stopped for whatever reason

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
My favorite tenuous mawashi link is Akua, his name and pleasant colored mawashi in honor of Aqua World in his home town :effort:

He did take on the Big Salt crown after Terutsoyoshi tumbled down the banzuke though, mad respect for keeping Big Salt going, cause that poo poo gets the people PUMPED.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

My favorite tenuous mawashi link is Akua, his name and pleasant colored mawashi in honor of Aqua World in his home town :effort:
And his name is written with the characters "heaven," "sky," and "sea," given a generous and creative reading of each. :3:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For all it's tradition, Sumo has no problem with selling out for advertising so if they were going to mawashi space, they'd have no problem doing it already. There's the kensho parade that's already longer than the matches, kensho mawashis, and they had the pokeball gyoji uniskkk .

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 6, 2024

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

He did take on the Big Salt crown after Terutsoyoshi tumbled down the banzuke though, mad respect for keeping Big Salt going, cause that poo poo gets the people PUMPED.

Akua stopped throwing big salt this last basho :(

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I always thought of akua as an imposter Chiyomaru so root against him, it's important to have arbitrary villains to boo

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

I always thought of akua as an imposter Chiyomaru so root against him, it's important to have arbitrary villains to boo

I root against Onosho because he spent an entire basho not actually touching the dirt to start matches. Instead he'd wave his hands above the dirt and everyone just played along. It would telegraph his tachi-ai, so I'm sure jokes on him.

He changed this, but I still root against him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Who should I, a new fan, root against

Kotonowaka looks weird, can I boo him

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Ryūden.

gently caress that guy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

I root against Onosho because he spent an entire basho not actually touching the dirt to start matches. Instead he'd wave his hands above the dirt and everyone just played along. It would telegraph his tachi-ai, so I'm sure jokes on him.

He changed this, but I still root against him.

How do you feel about the tachiais in this video? Lets say the one at 4:02, but really pretty much any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2HRTxqqcc

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Dead Goon posted:

Ryūden.

gently caress that guy.

:hmmyes:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What idiot called it sumo and not Salt Fat Mass & Yeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

How do you feel about the tachiais in this video? Lets say the one at 4:02, but really pretty much any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2HRTxqqcc

Don't like that one bit. Has the rule for how this works changed over the years or is there basically no rule and this is all part of some ongoing meta game evolution?

Comparing this to the modern mind games of who puts down the last fist is weird.

And yeah, gently caress Ryuden.

I also used to root for Abi until he pulled a henka "side tachi-ai" on Takayasu during a playoff. I can usually appreciate a henka, but pulling one during a playoff seems like especially bad form. Doesn't help that the result was Takayasu writhing in pain on the dohyo. If I recall Takayasu was already injured going into that match, so that part can't be blamed on Abi, but that might have been one of Takayasu's last chances a tournament win.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 7, 2024