Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey all, sorry I've been MIA, it's been incredibly hard for me to keep up with sumo this basho in particular, but also in general lately. I should get some breathing room on Thursday and Friday to process everything and get us up to date for the final weekend, but obviously that's less fun. It looks like I need to take on a deshi or two. Once I get back on top of things I'd love to discuss how best to support the fantasy league, since I think my lifestyle has changed a lot in the last 7 years and I don't want to keep people hanging like this. In the mean time, feel free to keep requesting trades etc., I'll be able to work through them in order once I'm back on my feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Day 11 Ura - Atamifuji Thought Ura would pull out some magical bullshit after surviving that first push, but sometimes you just get forklifted out of the ring.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
It works! It took a few clicks back and forth between the two different audio options but eventually one of them became English! (the label didn't change though)

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Takerufuji vs Kotonowaka

THE MFING GRAPE GOD DID IT

Takakeisho vs Onosato

Goddamn, this is really a new era. Both these boys are going to have amazing careers.

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 20, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

or you can be like me and sign up too early without knowing about that promotion (technically you can't, unless you've got a time machine)

:(:hf::(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've also got a month of JME just to try this out and sadly I don't see a way to go back and watch anything more than a few hours prior, unless i'm missing something super basic.

So I mean yes, I CAN watch live sumo legally now, but getting up at 3am isn't in my cards. Sorry JME, that's CA$40/mo I'm not investing until I get some DVR.

I'm not in the league these days but I'll tell you the same thing that I told the Mainichi folks when they took a mental health break. Don't worry about us, make sure you take time for yourself without feeling like you're letting us down. We'd rather have you 25% than burned out at 100%.

If you need support or want to hand off the fantasy league we'll be there for you. We'll figure it out, but what's important is that you don't feel like you've got an obligation weighing on you :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 20, 2024

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
At this point I'm just shaking my fist at the draft gods. I picked Takerufuji, but apparently so did everyone else and luck of the draw wasn't on my side.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Japanese (descriptive) is for the blind. They describe what's happening in the match and what's on screen.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Japanese (descriptive) is for the blind. They describe what's happening in the match and what's on screen.

Oh cool thanks, I didn't know that. When I was switching between them on whatever was being shown at the time both audio tracks seemed identical, and during Sumo one of them got replaced with English, but I'm sure it varies by specific program.

It stayed English for the short news bulletin after Sumo but then was just Japanese again on whatever was on after that.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Day 10- Shodai with the most Shodai poo poo ever, falling for the third katasukashi in row from Midorifuji :cmon:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking at the lower divisions and 17 year old Tanji who is in the same stable as the Waka brothers is having his third crack at division 3 and has managed to get a KK, after previously going 3-4 @ Ms50 and 1-6 @ Ms29 he is currently 4-1 @ Ms28.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Apparently NHK got Natto's ko-fi site shut down. Based on a quick glance this appears to be similar to patreon.

According to the discord announcement, cutting together basho videos is a full time job during tournaments. So this might be the end of Natto. Even if he switched to Abema now, he doesn't have a way to keep himself funded for two weeks every other month.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao god drat it

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

At this point I'm just shaking my fist at the draft gods. I picked Takerufuji, but apparently so did everyone else and luck of the draw wasn't on my side.

same here. i thought abut oonosato but was thinking "eh he'll prob struggle a bit in his second basho before acclimating hinself to higher compititoon"[

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dude just had to stick with NHK. :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brut posted:

JME's streaming stuff is now live, here's the direct link for NHK World Premium:

https://www.jme.tv/details/LIVE_CHANNEL/item/1921/nhk-world-premium or https://www.jme.tv/playback/item/1921
I wonder why it's not in the app. I did add it to My List on the webpage, so maybe it'll show up there now? (e: It did.) There are quite a few things we watched on TV Japan that aren't in this service. :mad: Glad I didn't spring for the full year just yet.

e: I didn't see sumo on demand, but I'll check the app tomorrow to see if it's showing sumo highlights live (by NHK World standards) at 5:30 PM EDT. Still gonna be lovely if there's no way to watch it at any other time.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 21, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

My new bag tells me that Kotonowaka is our next Yokozuna

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Shiroc posted:

My new bag tells me that Kotonowaka is our next Yokozuna

I mean there are worse possible futures...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sekiwake Abi :black101:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Sekiwake Abi :black101:

not quite yet. wakamotoharu's 7-5 and daieisho's 5-7 so no guaranteed space yet. i feel i've seen daieisho salvage kk from 5-7 type positions at sanyaku a few times so i wouldn't count him out quite yet. think if abi wins out 11 is usually the guideline for a third s position regardless of the current incumbents.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Day 12
There's the magical Ura bullshit!
And the youth movement was put on hold for a day.
Loved Hosh tossing Takeru, even if it would have been cool to see history be made live.
Koto seems to have Onosato's number for now. 2-0 so far.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

He's not on my fantasy team but I really need Ura to win two more.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

people don't seem to realize that pushing Hoshoryu to the tawara is EXACTLY what he wants you to do.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I hope Kirishima is OK. I've drafted him almost every basho since I started with fantasy sumo and have been following his climb for even longer.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fearless posted:

I hope Kirishima is OK. I've drafted him almost every basho since I started with fantasy sumo and have been following his climb for even longer.

Hopefully it's just a matter feeling out of sorts and thrown off his prep from Michinoku retiring and settling in with Kak.

But with 4 Ozeki and Teru when healthy, guys like Daieisho, Waka, Asanoyama being consistent upper level guys and Atamifuji, Onosato and Takerufuji likely joining the crowd there's going to be a shortage of wins in the upper ranks that could make kadoban Ozeki and good Sanyaku guys getting booted a more common occurrence.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i hate that stinkman hoshoryu

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Communist Thoughts posted:

i hate that stinkman hoshoryu

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

No! No!!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Day 12 was insane

The Oonosato and Takerufuji matches were so tense, especially because they both just clowned Ozeki yesterday

But

Welp

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Like Goku, Takerufuji needs to lose this tournament so he stays humble and focused to do better in the future.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Endo did Tamawashi dirty

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

day 13: hoshoryu straight up tanked that charge from Gonoyama, good lord

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

StupidSexyMothman posted:

it sounded like a loving gunshot, loudest noise I've heard from sumo in ages

It's wild how even just a few years of following the sport has had a huge amount of rotation, makes me appreciate Tamawashi more every tournament.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

StupidSexyMothman posted:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

wodin posted:

It's wild how even just a few years of following the sport has had a huge amount of rotation, makes me appreciate Tamawashi more every tournament.

Now that he has his citizenship, I hope he gets the chance to run a stable. He seems to be the only person who knows how to keep doing sumo and not get injured. Or his bones are made of steel, idk.

He may not always put up consistent KKs, but he's always there, and always a threat.

I wonder if he'll retire when he hits 40.

Edit:
Or I guess he'll try to get the record: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sumo_record_holders#Most_consecutive_bouts

I guess the JSA has said his streak continues since the only two he missed were due to COVID protocols. Only 50 or so more to go. I think he'll be there by EOY, if all goes well.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 22, 2024

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nativity In Black posted:

Now that he has his citizenship, I hope he gets the chance to run a stable. He seems to be the only person who knows how to keep doing sumo and not get injured. Or his bones are made of steel, idk.

My guess is that his method of avoiding injury is "be one of the biggest guys on the banzuke and also be an oshi-zumo man". Wrestling on the belt or putting the Kaiju clamps on people and manhandling them about the ring puts a lot more stress on your joints than push outs and pushdowns.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUh7zL61aHE

*edit*
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/03/23/kiji/20240323s00005000185000c.html
Takakeisho has withdrawn, got his KK and split.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 23, 2024

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Surprised Takerufuji and Onosato are fighting so early in the day, I thought if there was a chance Takerufuji could wrap up the basho today they'd want it to be the last bout

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Takerufuji vs Asanoyama - bad enough that Takerufuji lost but it looks like he did his knee as well :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
takerufuji bout: ah gently caress, that's not good, that's not good at all :smith: