Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Top of the Makushita division looking interesting. Ms1 is the highest both wrestlers (Tamashoho and Ishizaki) have ever been. Tamashoho is an eleven year vet and won the division last time out for his first yusho (including beating Asanoyama) of any type and is currently on an eight bout winning run. Ishizaki is just starting his third year in the sport and has spent all bar one basho in the Makushita division, in his last four bashos he has gone 5-2 which would be the same record that got Shonannoumi promoted to Juryo from that position last basho. Going to be very interesting to see how this pair do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From Natto's discord. Use advisedly in event of big L in thread

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Too out of training to post my brand of fantasy sumo, but I just wanted to add to the clamour of voices noting that this is honestly the weakest-looking san'yaku I can recall, and I am old enough to *remember* when Takanohana was promoted. So little consistency, and so much in the way of injury. I honestly cannot think of a single rikishi that i would say deserves to be made ozeki at the moment. Is this finally going to be the straw on the camel's back that prompts any kind of rethink of the injury / demotion rules or will the elders continue to rub their hands with glee at the thought of another ACL tear?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Thrilled to make it back up to M13, hoping my style of Sumo propels me into the middle of the banzuke.

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Wakatakakage, Hoshoryu, Takayasu
M1-5: Tamawashi, Abi, Nishikifuji
M6-10: Oho, Myogiryu, Hiradoumi
M11+: Chiyoshoma, Kagayaki, Kotoshoho

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Hoping to assert my style of fantasy sumo* and make my return to the top division

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Wakamotoharu

M1-M5:
Nishikifuji
Abi
Tamawashi

M6-M10:
Hokutofuji
Ura
Oho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoshoho
Chiyoshoma

* Picking the guys I like and hoping they aren't a complete dumpster fire

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

Top of the Makushita division looking interesting. Ms1 is the highest both wrestlers (Tamashoho and Ishizaki) have ever been. Tamashoho is an eleven year vet and won the division last time out for his first yusho (including beating Asanoyama) of any type and is currently on an eight bout winning run. Ishizaki is just starting his third year in the sport and has spent all bar one basho in the Makushita division, in his last four bashos he has gone 5-2 which would be the same record that got Shonannoumi promoted to Juryo from that position last basho. Going to be very interesting to see how this pair do.

I should start paying more attention to Makushita. I've been checking the banzuke between basho because I've been tracking the prospects of Hak and Kise's guys as they're working their way up and the first of the actual recruits (not guys that transfered over like Hokuseiho or vets like Enho) are getting up into upper Makushita and should be pushing for Juryo soon. I hope they succeed and send a bunch of guys up to prove modern techniques work.

Hak's best guy Kawazoe was a college champ and got the MS15 start and is up to Ms7 now. He's also close to Enho sized so he should be fun to watch at least if he finds success.

Kise's best guy Kayo is also a college guy but started SD90 and has worked his way up to Ms18. Also a shorty at 5'7, but at 321 already he's more likely to be confused for Takakeisho than Enho by the time he reaches his prime.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

S/K:
Takayasu
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage

M1-M5:
Abi
Nishikifuji
Nishikigi

M6-M10:
Myogiryu
Hiradoumi
Oho

M11+
Hiradoumi
Kagayaki
Tochinoshin

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Takayasu

M1-M5:
Abi
Tamawashi
Tobizaru

M6-M10:
Ura
Oho
Hiradoumi

M11+
Kotoeko
Kotoshoho
Kagayaki

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

I should start paying more attention to Makushita. I've been checking the banzuke between basho because I've been tracking the prospects of Hak and Kise's guys as they're working their way up and the first of the actual recruits (not guys that transfered over like Hokuseiho or vets like Enho) are getting up into upper Makushita and should be pushing for Juryo soon. I hope they succeed and send a bunch of guys up to prove modern techniques work.

Hak's best guy Kawazoe was a college champ and got the MS15 start and is up to Ms7 now. He's also close to Enho sized so he should be fun to watch at least if he finds success.

Kise's best guy Kayo is also a college guy but started SD90 and has worked his way up to Ms18. Also a shorty at 5'7, but at 321 already he's more likely to be confused for Takakeisho than Enho by the time he reaches his prime.

I've started to look further down the banzuke because you do get lots of interesting stories there. Two other fighters from division 5 I'm keeping an eye on are Takerufuji who is a newcomer just out of university and won division 6 last time out. He's in Isegahama stable the same as Terunofuji. As well as Kyokutaisei whose salaried career was going well until he was injury hit then he tumbled from Juryo to division 6. He's now upper division 5 along with Takerufuji and it'll be interesting to see how both of them fare.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I only really started watching the lower divisions when I was following Asanoyama back up (and my boy Akiseyama on his way down), so those recommended rikishi are great additions to my watchlist.

The differences in talent, skill and physicality are evident but it's still good watching, and just like makuuchi having a bit of storyline flavor always helps.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Shodai
Kiribayama
Meisei

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Mitakeumi
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Onosho
Hokutofuji
Myogiru

M11+:
Tochinoshi
Kagayaki
Kotoeko

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This can't be any more of a disaster than last basho, right?

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Shodai
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Nishikifujii
Tamawashi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Oho
Ura
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Kotoeko
Kagayaki
Azumaryu

also posting for PJ

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Shodai
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Tamawashi
Midorifuji
Daieisho

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Ura
Takanosho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoeko
Chiyoshoma

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 6, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Meisei
Shodai
Takayasu

M1-5:
Tamawashi
Midorifuji
Daieisho

M6-10:
Endo
Oho
Onosho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Aoiyama
Chiyomaru

Chiyomaru's back!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I only really started watching the lower divisions when I was following Asanoyama back up (and my boy Akiseyama on his way down), so those recommended rikishi are great additions to my watchlist.

The differences in talent, skill and physicality are evident but it's still good watching, and just like makuuchi having a bit of storyline flavor always helps.

Another couple lower division guys on my watchlist for storyline reasons:

Kototebakari: Another Sadogatake guy at Ms19. 19 year-old up and comer should be going for sekitori soon. He's also Kotoshoho's kid brother. Also Koto guys making the Makushita > Juryo push are fun because the get to go from Koto<real name> to actual shikona.

Rinko (Sd45) and Hayashiryu (Jd24): Nishonoseki guys who are only 16 so it might be awhile before they make big splashes, but they are twins and that's always cool. They were ranked one after another at Sd80w/81e prior to November but are separated for the first time as Rinko went 5-2 and Hayashiryu 2-5 after having identical records in their first 3 basho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Another couple lower division guys on my watchlist for storyline reasons:

Kototebakari: Another Sadogatake guy at Ms19. 19 year-old up and comer should be going for sekitori soon. He's also Kotoshoho's kid brother. Also Koto guys making the Makushita > Juryo push are fun because the get to go from Koto<real name> to actual shikona.

Rinko (Sd45) and Hayashiryu (Jd24): Nishonoseki guys who are only 16 so it might be awhile before they make big splashes, but they are twins and that's always cool. They were ranked one after another at Sd80w/81e prior to November but are separated for the first time as Rinko went 5-2 and Hayashiryu 2-5 after having identical records in their first 3 basho.

Those sound like good follows. I also have Kazuto jotted down to follow. He's 19 and in the same stable as Hōshōryū. He has been making steady progress with results of 6-1 (lost the title in a play off), 6-1 and 7-0 (lost the title in a play off). He's now Ms41 and it'll be interesting to see how he goes with the increased skill level of the competition.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kototebakari features heavily in many of Chris Sumo's post-basho retrospective stuff. Chris has been following him since high school or even earlier, so he has lots of footage (including old Hakuho Cup matches) to intersperse with more recent footage. I get the impression they know each other well enough to chat once in a while as well.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

pseudodragon posted:

One of the joys of MidnightSumo and Karla_Sumoist is they show the entire banzuke, not just the top rank. Quite often some of the day's better sumo comes from the lower ranks, since those wrestlers aren't yoked with fat and muscle, so it's more judo/grappling than pusher/thruster.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Kototebakari features heavily in many of Chris Sumo's post-basho retrospective stuff. Chris has been following him since high school or even earlier, so he has lots of footage (including old Hakuho Cup matches) to intersperse with more recent footage. I get the impression they know each other well enough to chat once in a while as well.

Chris seems to have managed to get in good with a few wrestlers, including Ura.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Takayasu
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
TOBIZARU
Abi
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Ura
Endo
Nishikigi

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Ichiyamamoto
Kagayaki

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 6, 2023

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Excited to be able to stay up and watch Makuuchi live now that I'm working evenings!

S/K: Takayasu, Wakatakakage, Hoshoryu
M1-5: Abi, Tobizaru, Tamawashi
M6-10: Ura, Oho, Aoiyama
M11+: Tochinoshin, Ichiyamamoto, Kagayaki

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Considering I'm only into sumo and babes right now, here are my picks for the former

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Takakeisho, SSJ2
Takakeisho, evil, goateed

S/K:
Takayasu
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Tamawashi
Sadanoumi

M6-10:
Ura
Takanosho
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoeko
Chiyomaru

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ichinoyusho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ayK6jGoqYw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Y/O

Takakeisho

S/K
Hoshoryu/Wakatakakage/Takayasu

M1-5
Ryuden/Daieisho/Tobizaru

M6-10
Ura/Hokutofuji/Takanosho

M11-16
Tochinoshin/Kotoeko/Kagayaki

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hiro Morita

S/K:
Takayasu
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Mitakeumi
Tobizaru
Nishikifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Oho
Endo

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Chiyomaru
Kotoshoho

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yo
Takakeisho

SK
TAKAYASU
Kiribiyama
Kotonowaka

M1
Daeiesho
Tamawashi
Midorifuji

M6
Oho
Ichinojo
Myogiryu

M11
Chiyomaru
Kotoshoho
Kotoeko

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I'm pretty sure Chris is where I first heard of him. Makes sense that if you're going to amateur tourneys like the Hakuho Cup that you'd pay attention to a guy with ties to the big leagues when there's so much going on that you have to pick and choose where you're watching.

The streams are cool and yeah, some of the kids can do cool stuff that the big boys don't try. I do try to catch matches where I can, but it's a long time commitment and it's hard for me to catch the same guys enough to get to know individual dudes.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

pseudodragon posted:

There was a lot of hype behind the previous kototebakari (current kotoshoho) and at one point I thought he seemed more promising than Kotonowaka, but we all see now how that turned out, so I'm gonna temper my expectations this time.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Midnight Sumo is live and is showing the dohyo purification ceremony.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bentai posted:

Midnight Sumo is live and is showing the dohyo purification ceremony.

Talking Sumo with H.E. Demon Kakka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Kakka

the gently caress

this man is giving in depth sumo commentary

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quote:

Demon Kakka (Japanese: デーモン閣下, Hepburn: Dēmon Kakka, "His Excellency Demon"), previously known as Demon Kogure (デーモン小暮, Dēmon Kogure), is a Japanese musician, songwriter, entertainer, journalist, sumo commentator, actor and voice actor. He first gained fame in the 1980s as vocalist of the heavy metal band Seikima-II, before starting a solo career in 1990 and branching out into other forms of entertainment.

I love this sport. :allears:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Demon Kakka is now giving his year in review prizes

2022 Technique Prize: Hoshoryu, Wakaktakakage

2022 Fighting Spirit: Abi, Takayasu

2022 Outstanding Performance: Tamawashi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8l4D3nhgKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSoCNZPjNLo

Lid fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 7, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
put in OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQWEmqcfVxk

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Hello sumo thread! I came here because of the announcement, watched the last basho and now love sumo. Unfortunately lurking this thread means I'm ride or Shodai for life. Enjoy my very basic picks, I'm still learning who everyone is!

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
SHODAI

M1-M5:
Tobizaru
Abi
Nishikigi

M6-M10:
Ura
Oho
Takanosho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoeko
Ichiyamamoto

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Single Tight Female posted:

Unfortunately lurking this thread means I'm ride or Shodai for life.

That's all you need friend, welcome aboard.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lid posted:

Talking Sumo with H.E. Demon Kakka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Kakka

the gently caress

this man is giving in depth sumo commentary

Demon Kakka is apparently insanely into sumo and is a font of super obscure sumo trivia.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

These last two months flew by. I'm ready for some Sumo!

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
SHODAI

M1-M5:
Abi
Daieisho
Mitakeumi

M6-M10:
Takanosho
Onosho
Aoiyama

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Kotoeko
Chiyomaru

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Tamawashi
Abi

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Oho
Endo

M11+:
Azumaryu
Tsurugisho
Mitoryu

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Takayasu

M1-5:
Nishikifuji
Tobizaru
Mitakeumi

M6-10:
Ura
Endo
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Chiyoshoma
Kotoeko

Wanted to put Takayasu in my top slot but concerned that his injury means the end of his surge

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Y/O:
Taco Queso

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Kiribayama
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Daieisho