Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Hoping my relegation to fantasy juryo isn't indicative of a career ending posting injury :smith:

Excellent OP! Looking forward to another year watching sumo with everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Kuros posted:

"My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity."

:five:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Hoping to assert my style of fantasy sumo* and make my return to the top division

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Wakamotoharu

M1-M5:
Nishikifuji
Abi
Tamawashi

M6-M10:
Hokutofuji
Ura
Oho

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kotoshoho
Chiyoshoma

* Picking the guys I like and hoping they aren't a complete dumpster fire

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Nishikifuji stepping out at the last minute ruined my chances at a 5-0 start :smith:

Takarafuji vs Chiyomaru - happy to see the salaryman pick up a win but boy howdy neither of them looked like they brought their best sumo to the dohyo, today

Pretty great start imo, bunch of good matches with some interesting finishes!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1613368029659951105?s=20

Tochi noooooo :smith: Given it looked like a dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone I don't think he's coming back...

Edit: Google translate did a pretty alright job:

quote:

Former sumo wrestler Ozeki Nishimaegashira 11th, Tochinoshin (35) = real name Levani Gorgaze, from Georgia, Kasugano stable = reported to the Japan Sumo Association on the 12th, the 5th day of the first place. He dislocated his left shoulder joint on the fourth day against Kotokatsuho , his second loss, and was diagnosed as likely to need two weeks of rest. According to his master Kasugano Oyakata (former sekiwake Tochino Waka ), it is difficult to reappear, and the next place is expected to fall to Juryo. Tochinoshin will be closed for the 12th time since the 2021 Kyushu tournament. His Day 5 opponent, Takarafuji, received a bye. 

Kenning, could I please trade Tochinoshin for Kotoshoho or Kotoeko?

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 12, 2023

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Vargatron posted:

He's going to continue until he drops from Juryo. I hate seeing him injured because when he is on, his sumo is great to watch. I remember him during his Ozeki run and it was basically lights out once he got a belt grip.

I really need to watch more of his Ozeki run. I've seen some of it but I kind of want to watch whole basho from the period.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Kenning, I think you mighta missed my trade request:

whats for dinner posted:

Kenning, could I please trade Tochinoshin for Kotoshoho or Kotoeko?

Very glad to hear you're okay besides any Dwarf Fortress-inflicted fugue states!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Lol what a loving catastrophic day for wfd-beya. Excellent day of sumo otherwise! Day 6: Hoshoryu looked impatient as hell and paid for it by missing out on two really easy finishes. I would've loved to see him take the yusho but I'm not seeing it happen anymore... even with him only being one win behind the pack. Takakeisho has made this really really interesting again.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

captainblastum posted:

Hokutofuji driving his feet into the dohyo before the tachiai is one of my absolute favorite sumo moves.

One of the guys on the Tachiai blog calls him "ol' stompy" and it's one of my favourite non-boob related nicknames

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Day 9

Hoshoryu/Wakamotoharu - poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo I hope Hoshoryu is okay. :smith:

The way that he was hobbling off really didn't look great. Hoping it's just a twist but the way that ankle inverted made me think of a snapped ligament injury I got a few years back...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1615163586913107968

Dang...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Eldoop posted:

Day 14: Hoshoryu clearly trying to mess with Takakeisho and then just getting instantly owned is insanely funny. He makes a good heel, fun to watch win and fun to watch lose

Totally agreed I just wish I wasn't watching my fantasy stable rely on him and hokutofuji to win really touch matches on the final day to make things look less like a total disaster :smith:

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 22, 2023

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Thank you for running fantasy sumo again Kenning! You definitely deserve a fighting spirit prize for persisting through all the power problems.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

I hope keisho's neck resolves itself in time for march. I understand the decision to not promote him. I also hate that decision. Mostly though, I'm worried that the nature of injuries in this sport won't give him another opportunity to make an unambiguous claim for the rope.

You have perfectly summarised exactly how I feel about it. If he's even got an old coach saying "he probably should have gone kyujo he's just too tough" then it sounds like something that he really should be going kyujo for March

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

I don't like the fact that sumo treats injury exactly like poor performance as far as demotions go. I think it sets people up to risk worsening an existing or half healed injury and shortens careers... and that can't be good for the sport.

Marching Powder posted:

Seriously. If keisho had the privelidge of being able to go kyujo without losing rank and only ever fought at full strength, he'd be doing yokozuna sumo. Cest la vie.

I think a lot about that rule they had for a while where a wrestler could sit out a tournament due to injury and provided they have a medical certificate their rank would be protected (kosho seido) and how they got rid of it in 2003 because people were "taking advantage of it." How much better would poo poo be if they just realised that the sport is at the point where people are getting injured fairly regularly because the athletes are all optimising to do one thing and one thing only? Takakeisho would be able to take time off to properly recover, Tochinoshin probably would've been able to properly rehab his knee, who knows what else.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-M5:
Tamawashi
Midorifuji
Kotoshoho

M6-M10:
Ura
Takayasu
Nishikifuji

M11+:
Kinbozan
Hokuseiho
Bushozan

Going with the new blood for M11+! I'm not 100% convinced that Hoshoryu's gonna be healthy given his attitude about competing on that damaged ankle probably lead to some pretty sub-par training without letting it heal but only time will tell! The joi is spicy as hell and there's so many good picks in there. Hoping that Ura finds his rhythm again in the mid-Maegashira and cleans house

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

verbal enema posted:

I love tochinoshin

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Eldoop posted:

Tobizaru and Hoshoryu's faces after their match lmao

So good. They looked like they'd both gotten away with a prank

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

really excellent basho from start to finish! the only real downside is how many career-threatening injuries we had.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Just saw Asanoyama vs Ochiai on Sumo Prime Time and drat, the thread wasn't kidding, that was a really good match.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

I was half expecting them to call a torinaoshi despite there being a footprint on Daieisho’s hand :lol:

watching slow mo it legit looked like Kiribayama stepped there deliberately just to make really sure

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Very glad to have returned to my style of fantasy sumo. A totally middle-ing score with nothing really recommending it.

Thank you very much for running the fantasy basho again, Kenning and best of luck with your wedding!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Wakamotoharu

M1-M5:
Nishikifuji
Takayasu
Ura

M6-M10:
Takanosho
Tamawashi
Meisei

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Daishoho

I'd completely missed that Kinbozan got rocketed up to M5 :eyepop: Reckon he's in for an absolute belting at that rank...

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Tentatively feeling pretty good about my stable for this tournament. Thanks very much for running it, Robviously!

There were some good matches in day 1 but it feels like there's a lot of ring rust to go round.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Abi reminds me of a cartoon character the way his legs kinda flail under him as he advances. Too bad this time he slipped before getting anything going.

Takarafuji being able to generate some serious forward momentum again makes me really happy. Maybe the salaryman's got a few more basho in him yet :unsmith:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

verbal enema posted:

i like sumo primetime

:hmmyes:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Shiroc posted:

I think I'm ready to say that Shodai's first san'yaku run was actually his warmup and now we're in his real one with the full warmup powers with him.

Yokozuna Shodai you say?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

It's real sad to see him go out like this but drat if it wasn't about time :smith:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Thanks for running this, Robviously! Congrats to bessantj on the win!

I wonder what Terunofuji's condition is gonna be like in the July basho. Felt like he was reasonably solid despite his knees taking a few little knocks.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Alright, let's give this a shot!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Ura
Nishikigi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Takayasu
Oho

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Kotoeko

Would love to see the three sekiwake make solid steps in their ozeki runs. I would love to see Hoshoryu take the cup but if Terunofuji and Kirishima are healthy that seems like a pretty tall order. Also really wanna see the younger wrestlers tear it up in lower Maegashira

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/GSumoBreakdown/status/1677156351112278016

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/torikumi/1/1/

Haven't heard anything else about it yet but apparently Takakeisho is kyujo. Not even on the bout list which I think means he hasn't even registered to compete so can't even come in halfway through?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Brut posted:

Anyone on the banzuke can come in whenever, I think there's a daily deadline for when they have to notify the matchmaking people but otherwise that's it. That being said, since he's not kadoban and thus doesn't have to risk immediate demotion, I'm expecting this means he won't be coming in this tournament at all.

Ahhhh gotcha

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Lid posted:

Imagine getting henka'd by a giant brick wall with no mobility who is also drunk

That's why it worked; they never saw it coming!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

ichinojo was unbeatable when he went into an alcohol withdrawal fugue state and visualised his opponent as the bar owner's wife

ichinojo's stable master was reprimanded for forcing a fifth division rikishi to lure ichinojo to training by dressing in unconvincing drag and shrieking about him not paying his tab outside his window until an enraged ichinojo would let his insatiable need to be an absolute prick get him accidentally attending practice. again.

Lol. I mean I know I really loving shouldn't laugh but still. Lol.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Holy crap that ruled. So many cool things happened this basho.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Nice.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Disastrous finish to the basho for me. The Nagoya heat really took its toll on me and I need to redouble my training efforts so I'm properly conditioned to do my style of fantasy sumo (losing) for the full fifteen days.

Thanks very much for running it yet again, Kenning!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Lucasar posted:

Somebody should make the gaudiest possible pattern yukata using those colours.

I bet whoever did Ishiura's kimono would be able to make something work

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1684898234408284160?s=20

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Kenning posted:

I think Kotonowaka is gonna post double-digits again and threaten a strong ozeki run for Kyushu.

goddamn I hope so. wanna see Hoshoryu and Kirishima clear house too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Banana Canada posted:

I went to Meatland.

This rules impossibly hard