Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
That's the first time in a good while I have seen an unambiguous hair pull and DQ, usually there's some leeway/hand-tangled-in-hair on viewing it but, no, just clean grabbing the topknot for a solid amount of time. What a way to lose an award

e: Do they recycle or re-use those advertisement banners, or do they sell them off? I kinda want a HOT STAFF to hang on my wall for the giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Lid posted:

Shodai

Shodai.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Someone in the audience tonight gave a powerful "SHODAI" when he came out. Which of you was it?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Here's a little treat from mid-Sandanme tonight for y'alls enjoyment (Goseiryu v Aoi)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

The fact that being the best at pushing around mostly fat, sometimes muscular guys in a ring made of rice straw bales on top of stamped clay makes you a kind of religious figure is wild to me.

Like what if Christianity got the book of Spalding as an addition to the new testament and being the best at b-ball made you into a priest or some poo poo. Because sumo basically is the marriage of sport and religion even though most people are probably into it for the spectacle.

Sumo is a Shinto ritual at its roots, though, so...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Khizan posted:

This is a straight copy/paste of the article, google translated from Japanese. I've made no attempts to edit it for readability.

I like this theoretical universe of an entire stable full of misbehaving Ichino- rikishi partying all the time :allears:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

net work error posted:

I loved Ura's reaction after winning that match. Somehow a combination of "how'd I do that?" and "Yeah I'm hot poo poo" and it ruled.

He's like that sorcerer from The Last Unicorn: Capable of true wizardry, but cannot actively invoke it - it must flow as it will.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Oh I didn't even notice that Ochiai is 7-0 so far lmao kid's gonna hit maegashira with short hair

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Ura is a wizard.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Day 13: Jesus Christ, Hakuoho

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Flesnolk posted:

Especially since this is a sport where promising prospects instantly get horribly injured in a way where they're never much good ever again afterwards

I think Hakuho/Miyagino has said that trying to fix that is one of his long-term goals., depends on how many old men gotta cycle out of the JSA

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Tomorrow's going to be a hell of a show

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Final round: that was a goddamned matta, his hands never got NEAR the dohyo before he did that poo poo, shimpan are asleep

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

BJJ sounds like the right answer for a real sport.

For a made up one, something like one guy starts in a pinned position in the middle of the ring, their goal is to break the pin and escape the ring in the lowest possible time. Competitors switch roles for a couple rounds, fastest total escape time wins. That covers the staying on your feet and in the ring bits. But I guess a complete opposite would also involve marathon length matches rather than quick bursts.

Collegiate Wrestling (post-first fall)?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Ura manifesting some insane telekinesis to spin a tree around and bounce it out of the ring, jesus christ.

Shodai.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Goddamn, usually Ura uses his levitation magic on himself, not his opponent. Hell of a technique to whip out.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:krakken: "This is not a match, this is a formality before my playoff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

Randomly came across this guy and I think we all need to take a minute to appreciate the neck game going on here...

Takanoyama was the proto-Enho with how insane his judo technical takedowns were for being such a smallbodied guy