Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'm so excited for the upcoming basho, fantasy sumo and the new thread. Excellent first post, Kenning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I personally believe with my whole heart and soul that Shodai will show up if he wants to.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks Kenning! :woop:

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Ryuden
Abi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Oho
Myogiryu
Ura

M11+:
Kagayaki
Tochinoshin
Mitoryu

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Beeswax posted:

This is a really good idea tbh

Yeah. I'm often a day behind too and I sometimes get spoiled too. It usually doesn't mess with my enjoyment but I could see how it would for others.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Welp. Oho is sucking. Time to trade.

I'd like to trade Oho for Onosho, Ura or Hokotofuji please.

Also I feel bad for Tochi. :(

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

whats for dinner posted:

Kenning, I think you mighta missed my trade request:

Sort of same. You quoted me for trading but I wasn't on the list.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Keisho has a neck?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yeah that's a lot of dumb hoops to jump through for dumb reasons and those hoops are only able to be jumped through for people who are already established. If they want to continue with that poo poo then they're begging for piracy.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:

Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage

M1-5:

Ryuden
Abi
Tamawashi

M6-10:

Takayasu
Hiradoumi
Ichiyamamoto

M11+:

Kinbozan
Oho
Hokuseiho

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, Kenning!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've had the stomach flu, and totally missed the start of the basho / fantasy sign ups.

Congrats on the wedding! I'm not intai forever, but I'll bow out for this basho.

If you missed the beginning of the fantasy signups I believe you can get in late, you just don't get the points for the first few days.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'd like to trade Ryuden for Onosho or Hoshoryu If I can squeak in a trade at the last minute.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Marching Powder posted:

shodai's yokozuna dance would be foot stomp, lower, lower, sits down, lies down, sleeps. applause.

he drives the demons out of the earth by farting in his sleep

the deities are proud

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

https://twitter.com/Hakkeyoi_Sumo/status/1637660312974286850

Onosho is out. Which forces me to.... back to Tamawashi?? Or Nishikigi?

(I just traded Tamawashi for Onosho, and my picks for the segment are Tamawashi, Nishikigi, Onosho)

I guess if I have a choice I would prefer Nishikigi? I've created a really weird corner case for myself

Well gently caress. I just traded for him. Kenning, can I get...Ugh...Shodai? Anyone but Tamawashi please.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 20, 2023

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Marching Powder posted:

he really is. i liken him to lebron in the sense that they had massive expectations placed upon them while they were still actual children and not only did they meet those absurd expectations, they surpassed them. i'll tell you what lebron hasn't had to do yet, and that's become the example to look towards for an entire nation that isn't his and an important figure in the rituals of a foreign religion.

i don't know how he lived and competed for so long where every single thing he did on and off of the dohyo was scrutinised by weird racists and all the while dodging all of the massive and minor scandals because... being a yokozuna meant something to him.

The fact that being the best at pushing around mostly fat, sometimes muscular guys in a ring made of rice straw bales on top of stamped clay makes you a kind of religious figure is wild to me.

Like what if Christianity got the book of Spalding as an addition to the new testament and being the best at b-ball made you into a priest or some poo poo. Because sumo basically is the marriage of sport and religion even though most people are probably into it for the spectacle.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 21, 2023

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I find it very funny that Daieisho lost the tourney twice in almost the exact same way. Just saying.

Sumo was fantastic and I hope that everyone had a fun time watching it. :)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

He was a violent alcoholic.

I hope he gets help and becomes a non-violent, non-alcoholic, but he also sucks poo poo.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Kiribiyama
Daieisho
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Takayasu
Abi

M6-10:
Takanosho
Mikateumi
Takarafuji

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Aoiyama
Asanoyama

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Beeswax posted:

Shodai out there literally rubbing the sleep out of his eyes before the tachiai. Immensely powerful.

This but unironically. A lot of athletes can't sleep or rest before competition. I'm not sure if it would be as big a problem in sumo where you have 15 fights in a row so the pressure isn't usually as extreme but in sports like boxing or MMA where you train for months and only get one shot, some people have a hard time sleeping as the big day comes.

Being able to sleep and come into the competition rested is extremely valuable.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Bentai posted:

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20230523/k00/00m/050/166000c
Hakuho explained that Enho withdrew and was taken to hospital because of numbness in his neck and back.

Noooo Enho. :(

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Win or lose, taco queso knows how to throw those hands.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I liked his old name better but him carrying on a legacy does sound kind of cool.

I nickname half of the rikshi already so I don't think what I'll call him will change much more.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks a lot for taking up the sumo mantle for a basho!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Bentai posted:

Aaaaand Ozeki Kirishima hurt his right elbow in training.
https://www.sanspo.com/article/20230704-D3FUM5NV7NJP7N7WUDWYX2E6DQ/

Fuuuuuck. :(

I hope he heals up in time for the basho. :(

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10:
Takayasu
Myogiryu
Kinbozan

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Kotoshoho

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Robviously posted:

I really hope people start treating these kyuji tournaments as the black spots on the Sumo Association that they really are. I know that this really isn't anything new but it seems like the age of steady yokozuna may be over given the atrocious attempts made to shame not just them but also the ozeki they promote into destroying themselves like this.

Rikshi really need to be able to take at least one basho off a year without falling in rank in order to heal. Constantly pushing people to wrestle even when they're injured is a big part of why sumo wrestlers die twenty years earlier on average than your average Japanese citizen. It's absurd that the only people who can take time off are ozeki once every other basho and yokozuna whenever they feel like it. Everyone else is in a constant meat grinder and the few people who've gotten to the top have crawled through that meat grinder.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 12, 2023

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Man my entire lineup just ate poo poo two days in a row.

My ozeki run. :(

Trading Asanoyama from Nishkigi or Ura please.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hey Kenning, which guy did I get as a replacement? I wasn't listed. Thanks!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Aww. :(

I know it's silly but I'm a little sad. I always loved catching him twirling that bow on the highlights.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Flinger posted:

Hol' up that's a new japan pro wrestling tracksuit

I mean, the sumo to professional wrestling pipeline is very real. It could happen. Or at least he might do a few guest appearances while he still has name recognition.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks Kenning! I always love doing fantasy sumo and look forward to it, even when I lose really hard before I could become an ozeki.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenning posted:

gently caress, I wanna go to Meatland.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kennedy posted:

Is Hoshoryu the best example of an active rikishi who makes the sport look beautiful? He's just a delight to watch.

I appreciate when he mean mugs his opponents.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Suuuumooooo! :yayclod:

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Ura
Meisei

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Shonannoumi
Kotoeko

M11+:
Aoiyama
Takarafuji
Sadanoumi

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

If I can, can I still trade Aioyama for Atamifuji?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenning posted:

Unfortunately, Atamifuji is full. However, you requested a trade in time, so I'm going to give you his stablemate Takarafuji (who was the next on your draft wire, which is why I'm doing it) from Day 8. If you'd rather ride with Aoiyama and retain your position in the wire I can roll it back, lmk.

I'd like to keep Aoiyama then, thanks.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Taffy Torpedo posted:

I think Ura is losing on purpose so can do flips.

they're pretty sick

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Honestly I thought that Taco Queso was going to henka him not only because in retrospect that Atamifuji was deeply in his own head, but because he has about ten seconds of stamina before he starts to tire out and his odds of losing go up dramatically. He'd just fought and was delaying because he was still winded from fighting earlier and if Atamifuji actually took him on, he'd have maybe six to eight seconds of real fighting before Taco Queso would be completely gassed, if that.

Queso is what happens when you minmax your stats. He's strong as gently caress and he hits like a truck and can take a lot of hits, but he's got poo poo stamina.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

lol

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks for running fantasy sumo, Kenning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yeah I used mine up, thank you! I bought some cute fridge magnets, a keychain, a tegata and a tiny purple pillow to throw. :)