Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu
Takayasu

M1-5:
Mitakuemi
Tobizaru
Midorifuji

M6-10:

Oho
Ura
Endo

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Tochinoshin
Kagayaki

Lots of guys I like in sanyaku this time. Having to choose between Koto/Hosho/Papa Bear/Waka bros was tough.

Mita's been consistently good at higher levels so hopefully his struggles are injury related and he can come back.

Oho and Ura are also tough to choose between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

Top of the Makushita division looking interesting. Ms1 is the highest both wrestlers (Tamashoho and Ishizaki) have ever been. Tamashoho is an eleven year vet and won the division last time out for his first yusho (including beating Asanoyama) of any type and is currently on an eight bout winning run. Ishizaki is just starting his third year in the sport and has spent all bar one basho in the Makushita division, in his last four bashos he has gone 5-2 which would be the same record that got Shonannoumi promoted to Juryo from that position last basho. Going to be very interesting to see how this pair do.

I should start paying more attention to Makushita. I've been checking the banzuke between basho because I've been tracking the prospects of Hak and Kise's guys as they're working their way up and the first of the actual recruits (not guys that transfered over like Hokuseiho or vets like Enho) are getting up into upper Makushita and should be pushing for Juryo soon. I hope they succeed and send a bunch of guys up to prove modern techniques work.

Hak's best guy Kawazoe was a college champ and got the MS15 start and is up to Ms7 now. He's also close to Enho sized so he should be fun to watch at least if he finds success.

Kise's best guy Kayo is also a college guy but started SD90 and has worked his way up to Ms18. Also a shorty at 5'7, but at 321 already he's more likely to be confused for Takakeisho than Enho by the time he reaches his prime.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I only really started watching the lower divisions when I was following Asanoyama back up (and my boy Akiseyama on his way down), so those recommended rikishi are great additions to my watchlist.

The differences in talent, skill and physicality are evident but it's still good watching, and just like makuuchi having a bit of storyline flavor always helps.

Another couple lower division guys on my watchlist for storyline reasons:

Kototebakari: Another Sadogatake guy at Ms19. 19 year-old up and comer should be going for sekitori soon. He's also Kotoshoho's kid brother. Also Koto guys making the Makushita > Juryo push are fun because the get to go from Koto<real name> to actual shikona.

Rinko (Sd45) and Hayashiryu (Jd24): Nishonoseki guys who are only 16 so it might be awhile before they make big splashes, but they are twins and that's always cool. They were ranked one after another at Sd80w/81e prior to November but are separated for the first time as Rinko went 5-2 and Hayashiryu 2-5 after having identical records in their first 3 basho.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Kototebakari features heavily in many of Chris Sumo's post-basho retrospective stuff. Chris has been following him since high school or even earlier, so he has lots of footage (including old Hakuho Cup matches) to intersperse with more recent footage. I get the impression they know each other well enough to chat once in a while as well.

I'm pretty sure Chris is where I first heard of him. Makes sense that if you're going to amateur tourneys like the Hakuho Cup that you'd pay attention to a guy with ties to the big leagues when there's so much going on that you have to pick and choose where you're watching.

The streams are cool and yeah, some of the kids can do cool stuff that the big boys don't try. I do try to catch matches where I can, but it's a long time commitment and it's hard for me to catch the same guys enough to get to know individual dudes.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Day 2
Abi: seems lucky to be 2-0 in his title defence. Both wins could have easily gone the other way.

Mitakuemi: Looking good so far. If he's healthy he could cause some damage looking for redemption.

Takakeisho: Takayasu nailed him pretty clean with a flying forearm. Hope he's ok.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fearless posted:

Thank you for this. I was able to watch most of the first day off and on, and the upper ranked stuff was starting as my shift was winding down but last night I was dead to the earth for the last three hours or so of the tournament.

If even that's too long, Kintamayama usually does 2 versions, a quickie version with no replays or anything that's under 10 minutes and a full version that's in the 15 range. He just does Makuuchi though (with maybe a Juryo match or two if they feature popular guys like Enho) so if you want Juryo/Makushita summaries you still need to hit up Natto.

He does rip the English commentary where available if that's important to you. Usually I can watch this before/during my morning work coffee.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Beexoffel posted:

Then I'll happily forfeit some days of points and join in the fun!
I looked at https://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/ and picked whom I sort of recognised or smiled nicely.

If accepted, not sure if kenning will auto fix it for you, but you might want to swap out Teru for Takakeisho in your post unless you want the 0--0-15 on some sort of principal.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cocomonk3 posted:

Dangit, that sucks. He was how I watched. What's the next best similar option?

Looks like he managed to post today though late. Don't know if that means his issues are fixed though or if he's going to have more issues in the future...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Beeswax posted:

While I agree that I’m sumo, like a demon you go all out to win, I also maintain that trading for non-injury reasons is a sign of poor fighting spirit. Why yes, I am on the fantasy YDC, why do you ask?

I agree. I'm riding the Kotonowaka and Oho ship all the way to the bitter end.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dumb thing from Kinta's video: Did Akua change to a lime green mawashi instead of aqua or was that a video colour thing because that would be the most disappointing thing about this basho.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I find him to not be motivated by confidence in his actions like Hakuho; I just think he's a chaotic dumbass

Yeah, Hak was a troublemaker who did stuff because he thought he was right and knew better than everyone else and he was probably right. Abi's a troublemaker because he's a dipshit that doesn't think through his actions.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bentai posted:

Day 7:

But oh my the Midorifuji vs Takakeisho match was just so good. Intense from start to finish, Keisho ducking or parrying almost half a dozen face slap attempts, and that mid bout standup/stare down? What a fight.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BigBelovedWormThunBeast-pMNr6pKHOyXiNnae

Midorifuji-Taka: Hell yeah. Great showing from Taka, as this is the kind of match he usually loses. When Plan A of just blasting Midorifuji 3 rows deep off the tachiai got stopped short, that's usually when fatigue hits our round boi and he doesn't have anything left for a second round. Then when Plan B of slapping the poo poo out of his opponent didn't work either, he actually pulled off the throw at the end. His Plan A is probably still going to win most of his matches since he's drat good at it, but it's nice to see him get results with something different.

For his part, Midorifuji puts on a match of the night of the second day in a row.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Day 9 I hope Hoshoryu is okay. If Takakeisho wins this tournament they have to give him a rope. He has a Jun-Yusho from last time with a playoff and if he can squeeze out an impressive record here even the grumpy old men have no excuse. We might have two Yokozuna and no Ozeki in March. Wild stuff.

Yeah, Hohoryu going out would suck. Even if he's good enough to go though, it might be enough to throw off his Ozeki run.

they already said if he gets a good Yusho he's in. I think 13/14 is he's in for sure, maybe a 12 win Yusho. If he backs into a 11 win Yusho because everyone else sucks too then I could see them being jerks.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ratmosphere posted:

It depends. If you have a runner-up on your team then you're gonna root against him, hoping that you won't need to share your macaron with everyone else.

I have Kotoshoho too and I'm still rooting for Taka because Yokozuna are cool.

Mode 7 posted:

"Why go kyujo in the first place if you only need one day?"

You go kyujo for a day to avoid aggravating it and needing several months, but I get that's antithetical to sumo culture.

As long as he's smart about it and it could be ok. Like go in, try a henka or another quick win but pull a Shodai and bail at the first sign of resistance should be fine.

Not sure how it'll work now with the S/K logjam, but traditionally 7 at Sekiwake drops to Komsubi and 6 goes to M so he's got a pretty big incentive to try and steal one win (maybe 2 if he can get an easy one) to keep sanyaku before fully dropping.

But if they consider K2 a semi-permanent rank now to make up for the lack of Ozeki, he might already be safe...

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Decided to stream of thought comments on the last half of the upper division today.

So, Day 10:

Abi vs. Ryuden. Battle of the furious dumbasses. The less objectionable one won imo.

Lol I thought the same thing. Was only half paying attention and didn't see/hear who Abi was against and thought "boo, he broke his losing streak" before seeing who his opponent was and going "ok, that's fine I guess"

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Pretty much what I'm hoping for at this point as well.

Comedy result: Hosho keeps trying and they schedule him against Taka. Hosho decides "nah, I'm good with 7" and hands Taka a fusen Yusho/rope.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Does Takayasu have a kabu? I’m just wondering out loud what he does as he gets older and progressively more broken.

The only current guy with a kabu other than Chiyootori is Endo.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx

But he's got his 3 year Ozeki grace period and he should be in good shape since he's bff with Ichimon chosen one Kisenosato.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I don't think they change the Matta rules, but they do decide to enforce them harder every once in awhile. Like they let it go until everyone gets sloppy/too obvious about it and then start calling it a bunch to get people to stop it and reset expectations. Then when people are behaving again, they let people do what they do because they don't really want to call stuff and the cycle restarts.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

If he has a Yusho or Jun Yusho in March then they have no excuse anymore.

If a JY isn't enough, he's gotta be coming close to the Kisenosato perma-yoko run where a JY or even a 10-11 non-JY doesn't break it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

I think a lot about that rule they had for a while where a wrestler could sit out a tournament due to injury and provided they have a medical certificate their rank would be protected (kosho seido) and how they got rid of it in 2003 because people were "taking advantage of it." How much better would poo poo be if they just realised that the sport is at the point where people are getting injured fairly regularly because the athletes are all optimising to do one thing and one thing only? Takakeisho would be able to take time off to properly recover, Tochinoshin probably would've been able to properly rehab his knee, who knows what else.

Technically Takakeisho is the only one that has that follows those rules. The protection was only for the tournament you got hurt in and the one after so like Takayasu could come sit out in March and come back in May and stay Sekiwake but longer than that and he'd fall. Takakeisho can still do that, albeit kadoban, but I think Takakeisho is confident enough that he doesn't give a poo poo about kadoban if he's healthy.

And even if you promised Takakeisho that he could take as much time as he needed after he hurt himself this tourney, there's no way he would have stepped down because he was fighting for the rope and who knows when/if he'll get this close again. Would probably have helped Hoshoryu to know he didn't have to try and eke those 2 wins out to protect his rank though.

And the main problem with rank protection is that it screws over lower ranked guys in Juryo and Makushita. A guy sitting out and hogging a spot in Makuuchi means a dude in Juryo doesn't get a jump up.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I wonder if they just made a flat 1/8 chance for each of them of if they have rare/ultra rare loot box bs. Like Kittyzuna is a 1/100 box.

Also, this guy is Takakeisho in kitty form

https://jellybeet.com/amuse-mii-sama-rikido-sumo-cat-plush/

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Gonna be in Tokyo next Tuesday and part of Wednesday as part of a visa run.

Anyone been to the sumo museum there? Just saw it was a thing and besides doing a bit of light shopping thought of hitting it up as I have like 32 hours to kill.

No, but at the very least it seems like the neighborhood would be a fun way to spend a couple hours walking around and picking up some dumb sumo poo poo and trying some legit chanko nabe.

https://youtu.be/l206kqgHPGY

Having a personal zabuton to just chuck at people whenever they do something cool would be fun.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Is that "wifi password" in Japanese? If it's not, I bet it's on the folded up orange post-it on the right.

Orange post it probably has user name, windows PW and wifi for the stable and kokugikan.

Also, do you think his username is Nishonoseki, Kisenosato or his real name?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I have a soft ot for Kagayaki. He's pretty bad, but he was one of the first lower rankers I recognized when I started watching because his gold mawashi was cool.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I don't know if Tochinoshin counts, but I like his little gremlin walk.

I think in this game, tochi is the anti-Hoshoryu/Kotonowaka. Would have been considered hot poo poo a couple years ago but might not be any more as he drops down.

I think for me personally, he wouldn't count as he's always going to be the monster he was in his prime, but I'd say for someone newer who only knows him as the former star trying to hang on he'd count.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Chris isn't even providing the same service as Kinta/Jason/Natto.

He's trying to be bootleg Sumo Prime Time and tell sumo stories while showing a basho clips to support his narrative rather than guy that uploads basho clips for easy viewing, so for his purposes all that poo poo makes sense. Like for what he's doing, he doesn't NEED a second of JSA/NHK footage. Short of turfing him from the arena, there's nothing they can really do to him. Though I am surprised they let him record the basho for semi-peo use. Try doing that poo poo in NA and he'd be toast so maybe they do cut him some slack.

He wants access to do his thing which obviously requires some sort of relationship with the JSA. Not sure how it would work in Japan, but in NA he'd probably need to work through some flunkie in the press/public relations office to get credentialed as a reporter. With the JSA, that flunkie might be an ex-Ozeki working his way up the ranks though.

There's no doubt dude works his rear end off and I'll watch his stuff for outside the basho coverage that we don't really get anywhere else,

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I wonder where Nishonoseki would line up on the banzuke these days? He still looks like he can go and he's probably healthier than he's been in god knows how long. At 36, he's not ridiculously old though still probably past his prime. Could he still walk into that sanyaku mess?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Was his injury ever properly fixed or is he still going to have a super weak left side?

Good question...I guess I just assumed he would have gotten it fixed at some point but if it's something that won't affect being a normal person and just prevents him from taking part in elite athletics I could see deciding not to get surgery for little benefit.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Any word on Terunofuji yet? Does his inclusion in the banzuke mean he’s definitely in, or could he still announce he’s sitting out again?

Everyone is always on the banzuke. Coming off the banzuke is a permanent thing and the only way out is retirement. He could have had his leg amputated and still be on the banzuke until he officially retired.

Actually technically you can be injured for so long that you fall off the bottom and have to restart, but that doesn't really apply here.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Mitakuemi
Kotoshoho
Onosho

M6-10:
Takayasu
Ura
Endo

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Oho
Takanosho

Congrats Kenning!

Picks:
Y/O: Even if Teru was guaranteed in, gotta go with the Yoko run
S/K: Koto/Hosho was a tough choice between 2 faves
M1-5: Mira is better than this, right? He was so consistent for so long he's gotta bounce back...
M6-10: only question is if Takayasu is fully healed, but if he isn't, he's at least going to get a Yusho run in May from the teens
M11+: Hokuseiho is going to be the popular pick but it's fun to watch the newbie.

I need a new Ozeki to get in just because it's hard to make gimmick teams when the Y/O spot is locked and I've run out of Takakeisho based ideas.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For Tochi specifically, most Ozeki level guys retire before they drop too far. If anything, there's pressure the other way to save dignity and not disappear into the masses. Of course most of those guys have/can get a kabu for retirement so they have something to fall back on, but everyone else probably has to hang on because what else are they going to do?

Looking at all the past Ozeki, it looks like there's 2 retirement points for non-injury. Either right after losing Ozeki like Goeido or they'll do one tourney at Juryo to see if they can bounce back and if both that's it. Went back to look at Ozeki going back to the start of the 6 basho era and unless I missed someone, I can't see anyone that ended their career with more than 1 Juryo basho.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

this is a little different obv but terunofuji tried gutting it out in juryo for two tournaments before he took four basho off and obv mounted a sucessful comeback

Yeah, Teru's an obvious exception, but dude was just 26 so a comeback was more plausible. And IIRC, he was seriously considering retirement and had to be talked out of it by his stable master.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bentai posted:

So I think he'll come in as Ms15 in May. We could potentially have a Ochiai vs Nakamura matchup by November or January, depending on how these two do. Just dang.

Apparently he gets Makushita 10 because he won more than one of the TD granting tourneys. The only other guys to get that start since 2010 are Mita and Endo while 14 guys have been given 15, including 5 since 2020.

There's a chance that they could fight as soon as July if Nakamura yushos and Ochiai gets like 8-10 the next couple tourneys.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Harite with those hands would kill someone

I guess this was an earlier round match, but you probably still need some sort of qualification process to get into the all japan tourney so the opponent should at least know what he's doing...

https://twitter.com/Midnight_Sumo/status/1577065258945900544?s=20

The later rounds seem a lot more competitive but he still looked like he outclassed his opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2o5BQEtLo

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Theoretically 4 guys have a shot at 33/3.

Kiri is at 23 in the last 2
Daiesho is at 22
Wakamotoharu is at 20
Hosho is at 18

If Taka can't come back, I guess it becomes closest wins between the 4.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Most simultaneous Ozeki was 6 in 2012 which just lasted for 3 basho.

Hakuho was lone Yokozuna with Harumafuji, Kisenosato, Kotoshogiku, Kotoosho and Baruto. Kakuryu joined them to make 6.

Harumafuji then went on his Yoko and Baruto got hurt to drop directly from 6 to 4.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I'd say maybe spoiler if you're doing live viewing as not everyone has the opportunity to do that, but as soon as the digests like Kinta are up, everything should be fair game and it's your own drat fault if you go into the thread before watching.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I love that this sport that takes itself super seriously and is up its own rear end 99% of the time has no problem with their stars showing up on the ring so sacred that icky girls can't enter wearing a bad cartoon frog or hello kitty fighting a dragon.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

That could be it for WTK at sanyaku. Assuming an 8 month recovery period, he'd miss 4 basho which would have him at lower Makushita for January. It took Abi 4 basho to make it back from that point, but that was a healthy dude with back to back 7-0s. A recovering guy putting up 5s or 6s would take another 1 or 2 tourneys. He might not be back in Makuuchi until Jan 25 at which point he'd be on the wrong side of 30 so getting back up isn't a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

wonder what his plans are if he went to the trouble of getting citizenship but doesn't want to stay in sumo

Might also have been a change of plans where he wanted to but with all the poo poo that's happened changed his mind/was told not to bother waiting for a spot.