Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

SHODAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Delighted to have made it up to fantasy Komusubi.

I will continue to work to show my style of fantasy sumo.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I am guessing that the old men would like it to be Wakatakakage but it will actually be Hoshoryu.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ride or die with my boys Hoshoryu and Tobizaru as always.
Ryuden and Ichinojo loving suck, but...

Edit: Nativity In Black pointed out Ichinojo is suspended. Changed to Hokutofuji. Ichinojo still loving sucks though

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Ryuden
Abi

M6-10:
Ura
Oho
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Kotoeko
Kotoshoho
Tochinoshin
[/quote]

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 4, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

I can respect the hustle, but I think Ichi is suspended for this one.

Ah, he is too, I'll sub in someone else, thanks for the catch.
He still fuckin sucks though.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

quote != edit

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

S H O D A I

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Day 2:

SHODAI - Is it me, or does Shodai just give up when his feet hit the rope? You can see him resisting and then it feels like he just shrugs and steps himself out rather than continue to fight. It's really disheartening to see :smith:

Ura v. Hokutofuji - Hell yeah! Ganbare, Ura-san! Definitely much better form than day 1.

Tobizaru v. Takakeisho - HELL YEAH TOBIZARU. Really loved seeing Tobizaru lock in and refine his style of sumo over the last couple of basho. That rapid attacking but ever shifting offense, where he just laterally slides away from opponent attempts to lock him down or push him. It really seems to be working well for him and it owns. He's my second favourite rikishi to watch after Hoshoryu.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I want to trade Ura but I look at all the other people I could trade him for and kind of furrow my brow and go "hrm" so I guess I will stick with him and see if after two days of going too low into the tachiai and getting planted he'll try literally anything else.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Day 6

Hoshoryu/Midorifuji - Not even mad that my rikishi ate the loss here, what a great match.

Tobizaru/Shodai - Boy howdy I'm mad that my rikishi pulled the short straw and got awake and trying Shodai instead of the utter pushover he's been up to this point, though! :argh:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Amazed that I have managed to go 3-2 every single day so far.

Looking forward to my incoming 3-2 for Day 8.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

oldskool posted:

Ura is having a pretty good tournament, but I can't tell whether it's because of excellent power & technique or because his opponents have been so prepared for his shenanigans that they get surprised when he bullcharges right through them

There was definitely a point where I though his gimmickry was going to be the end of him, as he had success on Day 3 going very low against Oho, tried against on Day 4 against Ryuden who was ready for it and got pasted, then tried it yet again against Takanosho who was also completely ready for it and pasted him to the dohyo. Even though he won Day 6 it felt more like that was because Sadanoumi wasn't ready for it (despite him doing the same thing every day for the last three days). It's been nice to see him change it up and even better to see it paying off for him!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Day 9

Ura/Nishikifuji - God it's so endearing watching Ura do bizarre little flourishes like circus tumbles while getting thrown or, in this case, fluttering his hands to gently fan Nishikifuji to the ground. :allears:

Hoshoryu/Wakamotoharu - poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo I hope Hoshoryu is okay. :smith:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

"Why go kyujo in the first place if you only need one day?"

You go kyujo for a day to avoid aggravating it and needing several months, but I get that's antithetical to sumo culture.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Hoping Hoshoryu can get to KK tomorrow and call it quits—that ankle is still clearly pretty tender and I’d hate to see him make it worse

Pretty much what I'm hoping for at this point as well.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks Kenning! Fantasy was an absolute blast as always.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There's an endearingly "hapless everyman" that surrounds Hokutofuji that I really appreciate.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm kinda more likely to try and catch some of Juryo through Midnight Sumo this basho whereas normally I've just watched Makuuchi and weirdly I think some of that is having wrestlers that I'm familiar with like Tochinoshin dropping down.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks as always for running this, Kenning, and congrats on your wedding!

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Tobizaru
Wakatakakage

M1-M5:
Abi
Nishikigi
Ryuden

M6-M10:
Takayasu
Hokutofuji
Ichiyamamoto

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Bushozan
Kotoeko

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finally catching up on the basho - I've had Some Things going on in my personal life that meant after around Day 2 I really wasn't able to give the basho any of my attention, which proved to be unfortunate because man I would have traded off Bushozan by Day 6 at the latest if I'd been paying attention. :v:

It was very cool to see Shodai SHODAI-ing and although I wish Hoshoryu had been able to nail his final win against Takayasu, the uwatenage he slammed Wakamotoharu with on Day 14 was one of my favourite moments of the basho. Well, that and the grins on both him and Tobizaru after their Day 9 match. They're precious and I love them.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kenning posted:

Yeah, I think spoilers while the bouts are happening are appropriate, but by 6 pm Japan time the thread can be all bets off.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks Robviously for running an exhibition and massive congratulations to Kenning again for his wedding!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Ura
Endo

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Tamawashi
Takanosho

M11+:
Kotoeko
Hokuseiho
Asanoyama

Comments
Y/O: Wishful thinking on my part that Terunofuji is going to be coming back at full strength, perhaps.

S/K: Never not Hoshoryu. I fell in love with his style of sumo from watching my very first basho and have never looked back. Failing that, always happy to see Wakamotoharu do well and a successful Kiribayama Ozeki run would be great.

M1-5: I love watching Tobizaru fight, possibly even more than Hoshoryu. He's been putting up some fantastic bouts lately, really playing to his strengths (speed and mobility) and learning to disengage and rapidly shift his angles of attack to defeat larger, stronger opponents. I always worry there's a cap on how far his physique will take him but I don't think I'll ever tire of watching him strive. Ura is entertaining if nothing else and way more entertaining when he isn't tanking my fantasy score :v:. Endo I'm not super familiar with and so have thrown him in final place so that if I do get him, I'll learn a bit more about him!

M6-10:
Oof. Uh. These are all rikishi who I think have pulled off some cool stuff at one point or another but I don't have any super strong feelings about any of them. Rough bracket.

M11+:
Kotoeko always gives it his all and I think at M12 he'll put up some strong showings - though unfortunately like Ura, he's another rikishi that I'm happier to watch when he isn't in my fantasy stable. I missed a lot of the last basho so I'd like to pay some proper attention to Hokuseiho and see what he's got. Asanoyama is an easy pick so I put him last, but a fun one regardless.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him kyujo before the end of the basho.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for all of your efforts Robviously!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh poo poo, almost missed this! Sorry for the late entry Kenning!

Y/O:
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Asanoyama
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Takayasu

M11+:
Kotoeko
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Feeling good about my team, time to perform my style of fantasy sumo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hell yeah, sumo time.

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Tobizaru
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Abi
Hokutofuji
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Takayasu
Endo

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Mitakeumi
Nishikifuji

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Utterly amazed at how poorly my picks have gone and how badly my stubborn insistence to myself that I wouldn't trade this basho has rewarded me. :allears:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Been a little checked out for the last two bashos but my posting spirit has been restored
Kenning please note my usual posting shikona is Mode 7 (there were a number of namechanges in Games over Halloween) - I should be changed back fairly shortly. Disregard, my posting shikona has also been restored.

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Gonoyama
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Kotoeko
Atamifuji

M11+:
Tohakuryu
Roga
Tomokaze

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 11, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm kyujo this fantasy basho due to a posting injury but am still going to hopefully watch along and happily post reactions to cool sumo things that happen.

Also it's looking like I'm going to be in Japan come November so hopefully I'll get to go to the Fukuoka basho in person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Haven't really been engaged with sumo since November 2023, but finally catching up and prepping to dive back in and man, it's wild seeing the banzuke and seeing what's changed and what's the same.

What happened to Kotoeko? *googling* Oh. :smith:
What happened to Hokuseiho? *googling* ...........oh. :chloe: